Lake St Clair to South West Track?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Lake St Clair to South West Track?

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 10:54 am

I think the first 2 days will be easy for you. It's the Lake King William to the Adamsfield section that has me concerned.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 2:33 pm

Ultrarunner wrote:...the cross country section from Butlers Gorge and across the Vale is a concern, namely because of lack of tracks and of course the Gordon Crossing. I have allowed extra time to cover the this section.

As for running the whole way - this is is not possible, I doubt there would be a human in the world that could do it. The idea of trail running is to run the flats and walk the hills basically. Quite often you can walk up hills more efficiently and quickly by walking them. On flatter open sections you run and thus you can cover extraordinary distances. I have competed in enough events to know that this works.

Have you walked (or run) in off-track scrubby south west Tasmania before (or even on untracked button grass)? Because the concerns you listed don't seem to cater for the type of territory you are most likely to encounter. The most likely causes for slowing down in the south west has nothing to do with hills, and there is no such thing as "flatter open sections". Even if the map says it is open and flat, it is probably button grass, and not something many people are going to be capable of running through.

You may be well aware of all this (in which case, sorry for stating the obvious), but I thought I'd better at least make sure. The scrub down there can be almost impenetrable in some places (like 300m per hour), and although button grass can be easily negotiated, it would be dangerous to run and is quite awkward to walk through.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best with your endeavour, as it's a great concept! :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 2:34 pm

ollster wrote:Bear fears the horrie and donga!!! Kinda like some Northern forum members... :wink:

Well, thanks for at least using the word "some" so as not to paint us all with the same brush! :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 3:32 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:
Ultrarunner wrote:...the cross country section from Butlers Gorge and across the Vale is a concern, namely because of lack of tracks and of course the Gordon Crossing. I have allowed extra time to cover the this section.

As for running the whole way - this is is not possible, I doubt there would be a human in the world that could do it. The idea of trail running is to run the flats and walk the hills basically. Quite often you can walk up hills more efficiently and quickly by walking them. On flatter open sections you run and thus you can cover extraordinary distances. I have competed in enough events to know that this works.

Have you walked (or run) in off-track scrubby south west Tasmania before (or even on untracked button grass)? Because the concerns you listed don't seem to cater for the type of territory you are most likely to encounter. The most likely causes for slowing down in the south west has nothing to do with hills, and there is no such thing as "flatter open sections". Even if the map says it is open and flat, it is probably button grass, and not something many people are going to be capable of running through.

You may be well aware of all this (in which case, sorry for stating the obvious), but I thought I'd better at least make sure. The scrub down there can be almost impenetrable in some places (like 300m per hour), and although button grass can be easily negotiated, it would be dangerous to run and is quite awkward to walk through.

ESPECIALLY buttongrass that is 3 feet high.
And yes flatter open section just simply do not exist ANYWHERE south of the Lyell highway.
Anyhow, I wish you all the best with your endeavour, as it's a great concept! :-)
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 3:45 pm

Ive seen the runners during and at the end of the OT section, incredibly fit. Can only imagine their state on the back of Penguin to Cradle, let alone then hoisting the backup supplies to get them safely through (or Back from) the next section. While I sincerely (for yourself, the cause as well as for our SES) wish you all the best, cant help wondering if the cause itself would be better suited choosing a less arduous route (and one where there will be people to notice). Either that or include a longer 'walking section'..?

At least though the snakes should be less active in November.

Its a bit of a dilemma posting the general details here without comprehensive notes on preparation, gear, experience etc. being obviously intelligent enough to realise the concerns that people will have (taking into account that you fully understand what yer in for)
Last edited by Nuts on Sun 01 Aug, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 3:49 pm

Can I also add that there is NO SUCH THING AS THE SOUTH WEST TRACK!!!! I hate it when people call it that.

There is the SOUTH COAST TRACK
or the SOUTH WEST CIRCUIT

There, I said it........
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm confused, is Willy Ultrarunner? I thought Willy had second thoughts? :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 3:55 pm

I think they are seperate ppl, I just keep looking at this title thinking. ARRGHHHHHHH
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 4:00 pm

lol, It could be seen as a question (ie its there a track from LSC to the South West?)

(which partly got an answer here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4296&p=49364#p49364 )
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrekker » Tue 12 Nov, 2019 12:09 pm

tastrekker wrote:...I strongly recommend the following two articles from SUBW as compulsory pre-reading before considering trackless walks in the area:
A Royal Thrash
The Hand that Bashed the Bauera...

Updated links:
A Royal Thrash
The Hand that Bashed the Bauera
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby biggbird » Wed 13 Nov, 2019 6:09 am

tastrekker wrote:
tastrekker wrote:...I strongly recommend the following two articles from SUBW as compulsory pre-reading before considering trackless walks in the area:
A Royal Thrash
The Hand that Bashed the Bauera...

Updated links:
A Royal Thrash
The Hand that Bashed the Bauera

Great reading, thank you!
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rexyviney36 » Sat 16 Nov, 2019 6:41 pm

Did he make it?
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Sat 16 Nov, 2019 7:23 pm

Still running last I heard. Something to do with the terrain and conditions being tougher than anticipated.. :lol:
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Tasmania