Weld Arch

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Weld Arch

Postby tastrekker » Fri 27 Jun, 2008 9:39 pm

Does anyone know where the track to Weld Arch starts from?

I have googled Weld Arch. A very small number of sites appear. One is the track management strategy which lists the Weld Arch Track. Another site is from a rare plant study which lists a plant as only existing on Mt Anne's NE Shelf and at Weld Arch. From the distribution map in the research summary, I am guessing Weld Arch is somewhere east of Mt Bowes where Cotcase Creek joins the Weld River.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Weld Arch

Postby walkinTas » Sun 29 Jun, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Tastrekker,

Do you have a grid reference for the Arches. If so can you PM them to me. I can tell you there is a track but only because I have seen photos of people at the Weld Arch. I can tell you how they got there.

That rare plant study was very interesting reading.

Cheers,
WT.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Weld Arch

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 29 Jun, 2008 10:12 pm

I have been to the Weld Arch on a couple of trips. One was on a lilo trip. We went in via the (Old) Port Davey Track past Mt Bowes (I think it was) - then turned off and went in via Cotcase Ck. We had looked at aerial photos and this looked a good route - and sure enough it was - mainly open rainforest and some easy hori. Once we got to the Weld - it was easy walking downstream to the Arch - and then perhaps half a day below the arch before we could lilo. Then really beautiful country all the way.... a nice trip. This was back in Jan 1981. No tracks in those days.

The second trip was a trip to the Snowy Range in Dec 83. After traversing the range - we went via a saddle to the Jubilee Range (some interesting limestone caves in the saddle - or maybe they were dolomite?) and then via some interesting country (very high hori) to the Weld - meeting it near the Arch. The track was then fairly new - and we went out that way - it took us to the electricity tower access road - and then it was a short walk went to the Scotts Peak Road to near Frodshams Pass. I remember being a bit surprised the track had been built - because it was hard to follow - and seemed difficult compared to the route via Cotcase Ck that we had used earlier.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania