I hope there is a lesson learnt from this incident.

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: I hope there is a lesson learnt from this incident.

Postby geoskid » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 8:51 am

Nuts wrote:*Don't tell anyone where or for how long yer going?
*Don't tell anyone that doesn't understand what your doing as you write then read though your plans with them?
*Don't go?

Haha, yes, the first option did cross my mind as the best way to avoid confusion - unless of course you're forgetfull. :)
Would'nt surprise me at all if No2 is close to what happened. If they don't understand, they can start second guessing what they vaguely remember being said against what is actually written - I only need to recall episodes with the domestic shopping list to see how this type of confusion happens :roll:
Must admit - I only verbally tell my wife, despite knowing what I should do. :roll: Ever the optimist?, never happen to me?. spoils an open ended adventure?(getting closer I think), or just stupidly stubborn? (quite possible)
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Miyata610 » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 9:01 am

Liamy77 wrote:
Miyata610 wrote:Cute form... I like firearm in the list of emergency equipment, but not sat phone.

Well....no - they do have sat phone number listed just next to the fire-arm bit! :wink:

Oh yeah... Still doesn't work for me since I only carry my iridium for emergency calls so no sim and no phone number.
Phil
Miyata610

Postby photohiker » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 2:34 pm

Miyata610 wrote:
Liamy77 wrote:
Miyata610 wrote:Cute form... I like firearm in the list of emergency equipment, but not sat phone.

Well....no - they do have sat phone number listed just next to the fire-arm bit! :wink:

Oh yeah... Still doesn't work for me since I only carry my iridium for emergency calls so no sim and no phone number.

Easily Solved. Pick up a minimum $ plan post-paid NextG SIM from Telstra before your trip. I can't remember, but I think you need international roaming turned on but easily done. This will give you a phone number and allow you to make calls out. Cancel it upon your return. If you already have a suitable size Telstra Post Paid NextG SIM that will work too.

Do test. There is a thread of my adventures with this here somewhere, including a scan of the resulting phone bill (no, not horrific) :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Azza » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 2:56 pm

photohiker wrote:
Easily Solved. Pick up a minimum $ plan post-paid NextG SIM from Telstra before your trip. I can't remember, but I think you need international roaming turned on but easily done. This will give you a phone number and allow you to make calls out. Cancel it upon your return. If you already have a suitable size Telstra Post Paid NextG SIM that will work too.

Do test. There is a thread of my adventures with this here somewhere, including a scan of the resulting phone bill (no, not horrific) :)

You don't even need to do that...
For a couple of years now Telstra Pre-paid has been enabled for international roaming.
They kinda allowed it by stealth.. we only discovered it when my partners phone suddenly started roaming in New Zealand.
Azza

Postby Miyata610 » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 3:19 pm

Yeah it works. I've used my iPhone sim in it in the past and sent and received calls but at $4 a minute I don't want to (you pay to receive calls too). I'm just happy to carry it for emergencies. Dialing 112 is free and no sim required. And nobody can contact me, which is a good thing. :-)
Phil
Miyata610

Postby Singe » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 4:10 pm

flatfoot wrote:I suggest providing at least information as detailed as that on the NZ trip intentions form.

http://www.adventuresmart.org.nz/files/Outdoors-Intentions-Form.pdf

It is better be very specific. Short notes can often be ambiguous or misinterpreted.

Maybe an Australian equivalent could be provided on bushwalk.com in a prominent position. Is there any officially endorsed form available in Australia?

There used to be a trip intentions form on the Parks and Wildlife website, but I can't find it now so guess it's been removed. I might have an old copy somewhere...
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 7:42 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Write it down!!! Thats the lesson!!

For the very first time, I gave my boss a detailed itinerary for my Xmas/New Year walk (whilst adding the proviso that it was subject to change without notice due to weather conditions), and even updated it en route when the weather shut in.
Then when I got back he told me he'd lost the the list - left it in his pocket and it went into the laundry . . . :roll:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby bluewombat » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 8:44 am

I have a permanent file on the desktop page of my computer labelled "Walking Intentions"
If I am not around when my wife expects me she just opens the file and all the info required is there

For each walk I do, I write where I am walking, where I will park, estimated time of return, possible side trips etc
I use memory map software and either cut and paste map of my walking intentions into the 'intentions' file or just make sure memory map is showing the walk automatically when you fire it up (It is also on the desktop). If I am going somewhere particularly obscure I will also put in map or GPS references.

The file also has a list of all the gear I am carrying
Emergency bag in my pack contains the usual stuff whistle, fire starter headtorch, spare batteries plus PLB. I think SPOT is a good idea but have not sprung for one of those yet.

cheers
bw

PS If during the course of walk I decide on some different plan or want to change ETA home, in Tassie I can often send a text message off the top of mountain on my blue tick Telstra phone. Worked fine 2 weeks ago off top of Wylds craig. Would not rely on that however
Even a long life is short
HPB
bluewombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 10:10 am

I use the http://bushwalk.com/inventory system to plan what to take on each walk (including menu as well as gear). It also lists the location, dates and duration of the walk. I generally print this out before packing, and then leave the printed copy at home with my wife. It also includes a notes section to add any other details that I feel might be appropriate for a particular walk.

This way, my wife has the location (at least the name of the track, but usually more details in the notes field, the list of what I'm carrying, the start date, and the duration (in days and nights), and any other notes I think could be useful. All printed on paper.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Previous

Return to Tasmania