Wineglass Bay

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wineglass Bay

Postby bibtracker » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 5:01 pm

Idle curiosity here, but local knowledge will solve the problem.
If you are sitting on the beach at Wineglass Bay (in the middle of the 'cup') and looking out to sea, are you looking east or west?
I ask becos I have seen many pictures of this lovely bay and in some the curve is to the right, while in others it is to the left. They all seem to have been taken from the southern end.
Cheers, Tony
bibtracker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Wineglass Bay

Postby norts » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 5:43 pm

You are looking approximately east. It is on the east side of Freycinet Pennisula
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mickeymoo » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi Tony, in reference to the photos you have seen, some of them are taken from Mt. Graham/Mt. Freycinet to the south of winegalss bay and others are taken from the lookout/Mt. Amos to the north, so when you see the bay going to the right its from Mt. Graham/Mt. Freycinet and when you see the bay going to the left they are from Mt. Amos, unless of course the photo has been flipped :D
Mickeymoo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 30 Jul, 2008 9:33 pm

Yeah Tony,

I remember the first time I walked from Wineglass bay to Hazards Beach. I'm on the east coast, walking towards to ocean, so I couldn't be walking west, but the sun can't be to the south.... Had to stop for a second. :roll: :D
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania