Desktop version
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Camping Mt Murchison

Sun 15 Apr, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm hoping to get up to Mt Murchison this coming weekend where there are other patches of Fagus, and I'd prefer to be there overnight for sunset/sunrise photos too.
Does anyone know if there are flattish spots suitable for a tent towards the peak?

Re: Camping Mt Murchison

Mon 16 Apr, 2012 8:54 am

ScottM wrote:I'm hoping to get up to Mt Murchison this coming weekend where there are other patches of Fagus, and I'd prefer to be there overnight for sunset/sunrise photos too.
Does anyone know if there are flattish spots suitable for a tent towards the peak?

Not really, you may find a rock to pitch on, or an uncomfortable site on the track. Under the trig???

I walked up via headlamp and easily got above the treeline in time for sunrise, this time last year. It's a brilliant place for fagus festivities.

Mon 16 Apr, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks stepbystep, realy useful to know.
I've seen a few photos of fagus there, and looks like a more spectacular spot for photos than some other areas. I was tempted to walk by headlamp; might continue with that plan. Thanks :)

Mon 16 Apr, 2012 11:15 am

There is some good water in a flatish section after the first major climb - between 950 and 1000m contours as marked below.
I haven't camped there, but it looks promising.

Another spot would be a descent to the first tarn below the top - also marked - it looks like there might be some flat sections.
The other dramatic tarn below the track to the east has a wide shelf at its edge with what looks like grassed areas. It might be a scramble to get down to it though.
The ridgeline further to the west flattens out a lot - but camping up there would be very exposed.

I did read an old Tasmanian Tramp description of a trip to Mt Murchison where they were caught out and shivered under a rock overhang right through a very stormy cold night.
That would have been somewhere along the ridgeline. I wouldn't plan to repeat that though.

Murcho.JPG
3 possible spots - on the track after the first steep rise, and the 2 tarns near the top.

1096BasinEarly.jpg
Tarn in the basin - the flat open bits might be Ok - but might also get a bit wet.

1094DownToHanging.jpg
Larger Tarn below Queens Head as seen from the track far above it. The shelf before the edge looks to have some grassed sections.

Tue 17 Apr, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks eggs!
Maybe I can take my chances :) If all else fails I can still come down by headlight.
You guys are a wealth of knowledge! I found the 'Where am I' thread a couple nights ago; I could only pick a few spots. How much of the state have you not seen??? :)

Sun 22 Apr, 2012 1:12 pm

A very small tent or a bivvy would fit under the trig. And it wouldn't be hard to carry up enough water for overnight. Just keep an eye on the forecast and pick your time very carefully - although Murchy is prone to morning fogs . . .

Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:26 pm

So Scott - how did it go?

Wed 25 Apr, 2012 11:29 pm

I'm interested too, as I'll hopefully be doing the same in a couple of weekends' time!

Mon 17 Dec, 2018 2:12 pm

Does anyone have any more thoughts on this topic? Or have any other recommendations for somewhere nice to spend the night if wanting to move from Cradle to the Frenchman's track head and do Murchison on the way?

Mon 17 Dec, 2018 2:22 pm

Tyndall Range is only a short drive south of Murchison. Gate is usually open now and it's not a long walk up to the lakes where there is plenty of camping. Lots of car camping options near there too.

Mon 17 Dec, 2018 2:24 pm

The circuit route over Murchison sometimes have folk camping near Lake Sandra.
Do a search on this site for more details.

Mon 17 Dec, 2018 3:03 pm

north-north-west wrote:Tyndall Range is only a short drive south of Murchison. Gate is usually open now and it's not a long walk up to the lakes where there is plenty of camping. Lots of car camping options near there too.

Thanks for the suggestion. Got a trip planned here in January, so would like to save it till then.

eggs wrote:The circuit route over Murchison sometimes have folk camping near Lake Sandra.

This sounds perfect! Thanks, will investigate.

Sun 30 Dec, 2018 2:10 pm

eggs wrote:The circuit route over Murchison sometimes have folk camping near Lake Sandra.

I've been up to Sandra a couple of times now, but can't find any sign of anything resembling a trail from the Lake up to the Ridge. Not a lot of luck finding a 'path of least resistance' either. Going down to the southern end of Lake Sandra where it drains out wasn't very appealing, the veg is very thick there where it crosses over the creek.
I went a little way up the spur directly west of the beach area, but that didn't seem right either.
It 'looks' like the easiest way up is to head northish from the beach, going past the western side of Lake Gaye then follow that spur up to the ridge.

Has anyone got a GPS route or a map? Next time I go up there (with a bit more energy and not after being sick for a few days) it'd be nice to get up onto the main ridge. My google-fu hasn't yielded anything too detailed.

Mon 07 Jan, 2019 9:16 am

Getting up onto Murcho from Lake Sandra is dead easy. Just skirt around to the right of the small hill behind the beach and go straight up the obvious open spur to the top. There is a small band of scoparia which can be easily avoided, however the ridgeline to the summit looked a bit tedious if not downright scary.
Post a reply