Corsica

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Corsica

Postby icabody » Tue 07 Aug, 2012 5:07 pm

Does anyone have any recent experience walking in Corsica or the TMB as I'm at the planning stage of a trip for next June?
Maybe for a week in Corsica but not the GR20 as it sounds like hard work that neither of us enjoy particularly. The Mare e Monti
sounds like the best choice so far. Any advice or comments welcome thanks.
life is what happens when you're busy making other plans
icabody
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: South Australia

Re: Corsica

Postby Mark F » Wed 08 Aug, 2012 10:09 pm

No advice on Corsica but I do know your assessment is correct about the GR20. The TMB and other walks in the Alps (the Vanoise is excellent) in June needs to be considered on a year by year basis as many passes only become crossable in June as the snow melts if you are not fully prepared (ice axe and crampons). Exactly when any pass opens depends on the snow depth from the previous winter and weather in May/June. So later in June or into July is more reliable. I too am waiting for next years snow conditions to become apparent as I will be attempting to finish the HRP from Gavarnie to to Banyuls that I started in 2011. The mountain behind me in my avatar is part of Vignemale (3298m)
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby icabody » Wed 15 Aug, 2012 10:51 pm

Thank you Mark. After more research the TMB and northern Alps in general sound very busy in July as does the Vanoise. The southern Alps I read are much less popular and there are some interesting guided walking itineraries worth imitating that take you from the mountains to the sea. Also, hopefully snow in June a bit further south will be less of an issue.
icabody
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Thu 16 Aug, 2012 8:20 am

For quieter sections of the Alps consider the Queyras area or the section of the GR52 from St Dalmas Valdeblore to Menton which makes a superb and far better finish to the GR5. If you camp the crowds won't really irk you as the French virtually all use the refuges and there are many superb camping options. Don't be put off by the "No Camping" messages - this means pitching a large tent and staying in one place for several days. Look for the term bivouac - pitch in the evening and pack up in the morning - allowed anywhere more than 1 hours walk from a road and that is a highly flexible distance.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby icabody » Thu 16 Aug, 2012 9:08 am

Haha. I was just reading that in someone's blog about camping and bivouac-ing (though it did not explain the difference - thank you for that). And yes I had read the GR52 and the approach to Menton are special, as are the villages of Le Brigue, Sospel, Breil, etc. So now to look up Queyras...
icabody
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to International