Nepal Trip [Many photos]

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Nepal Trip [Many photos]

Postby biggbird » Sun 09 Dec, 2012 12:16 pm

Hey all, just thought I'd put up a quick post here as it's early in the morning and not much else to do at the moment! Currently undertaking an elective placement for uni in Nepal working with the Bhutanese refugees in the east of the country. This will then be followed by hopefully 18 or so days of walking up in the Himalayas! The original plan was to do Everest Base Camp as well as Gokyo Lakes, but unfortunately our schedule was condensed a little, so we may only be able to complete Gokyo Lakes... But we'll see! But anyway, if anybody would like to follow along with the trip, you can catch some photos on my blog]. Will refrain from posting the non-walking ones on the forum, but once I've finished the trek, expect plenty of photos! :)
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Nepal Trip

Postby Tortoise » Sun 09 Dec, 2012 2:53 pm

Hey Biggbird,

Tah-shi de-leh! (not sure how to write it without the international phonetic alphabet, and i can't read/write Tibetan script) I think that'd be one of the greetings where you are - means something slightly different in Bhutan tho.

Anyway, I'm so glad you have such a brilliant opportunity - all the very best for your elective and for the mountains to come.

Your photos certainly tug on the heart strings - I haven't yet had the opportunity to go back to people I spent time with years ago in that part of the world. Maybe one day. The mountains (Annapurna Sanctuary for me) certainly gave me wonderful lifetime memories. But my experiences with the people (the purpose of my second trip) were so much more significant. And I had some more mountains thrown in. :D

Namaste
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Nepal Trip

Postby biggbird » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 1:13 am

Hi there Tortoise!

Glad you had such a good time, seems as though I am too! Just something amazing about the people here it seems, so nice, so patient, so helpful! Has been amazing so far, and certainly looking forward to the walk as well :) Will not be at all surprised if I decide to come back at some point in the near future!

Anyhow, I've decided this would be a pretty boring thread without at least a few pictures, so here are some:

biggbird

Re: Nepal Trip [Many photos]

Postby tasadam » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 6:44 am

Edited title of topic in line with rule 9.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby RonK » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 10:30 am

18 days should be enough to allow for acclmatisation, but be wary of tight schedules. Altitude sickness kills.

Mid-winter in the Khumbu will be very cold and I'd expect the passes and many if the trails will be closed.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby biggbird » Mon 07 Jan, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks Tasadam, will remember to keep it in mind next
time I put something similar up! May be better
to put a trip report in here and another thread
in the gallery section.
biggbird

Postby biggbird » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 11:20 am

Didn't spot your comment RonK! 18 days was plenty for acclimatisation I think, but unfortunately with my head wound and our general lethargy while at the top, we ended up cutting it a little short unfortunately. As you suggested, the passes weren't really ideal, so we chose not to head across the Cho La without previous experience on ice, crampons or an ice axe. Disappointing not to add EBC in as well, but really, it was a sensible decision. Better disappointed than dead!

Anyway, I have started a thread in the Gallery if anybody would like to check out some pictures of the trip:

Here it is.
biggbird

Return to International