Walking in Luxembourg

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Walking in Luxembourg

Postby walktillyoudrop » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm planning on a trip to Europe this year, visiting my son in The Netherlands, and I've been thinking I'd like to do some hiking in Luxembourg while there. It seems there are plently of hiking trails in the country, which is small enough to be able to walk a number of them in a relatively short time.

Anyone had any experience with them, other than the GR5?
walktillyoudrop
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Walking in Luxembourg

Postby GoForFun » Wed 23 Jan, 2013 3:19 am

That's interesting. I was living very close to Luxemburg and never did a hike there and other people are travelling around the whole world and hike in Luxemburg.
There is a music path in Hoscheid. I think it's called Sonorous Trail and takes about an hour. On the way you can make music on some instruments and listen to the sound of nature. Some friends of mine did it and were very exited about it.

Enjoy! :)
Take your life in your own hands! --> What will happen: There won't be anyone to blame.
GoForFun
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Postby stuey69 » Wed 23 Jan, 2013 4:19 pm

walktillyoudrop wrote:I'm planning on a trip to Europe this year, visiting my son in The Netherlands, and I've been thinking I'd like to do some hiking in Luxembourg while there. It seems there are plently of hiking trails in the country, which is small enough to be able to walk a number of them in a relatively short time.

When I first saw your post I thought Luxembourg, you have to be kidding, but after trawling through the website below I quickly changed my mind.
There's some fabulous stuff in that little Grand Duchy.

http://www.visitluxembourg.com/en/what- ... urs/hiking
stuey69
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Mon 28 Jan, 2013 12:59 pm

I walked the E2/GR5 through Luxembourg in 2004 and quite enjoyed the area. This route runs down the Luxembourg German border. I think it was in Echternacht that I came across the St Willibrord festival which was quite an eye-opener. You could start anywhere after Liege/Luik - the route passes a few monastic breweries - and go though Spa and Stavelot in the Ardenne. The E2/GR5 from Hoek van Holland through to Liege is better done on a bike - from memory you don't get more 68m above sea level and much of it is on bike paths.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to International