haute randonnée pyrénéenne

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

haute randonnée pyrénéenne

Postby MrFaulty » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 12:35 pm

Has anyone done this walk?
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: haute randonnée pyrénéenne

Postby Mark F » Wed 06 Dec, 2017 3:16 pm

Yes, I have done most of it - my avatar is from the walk. It is an excellent walk which is quite varied and tries to stay high in the mountains rather than retreat to accommodation option every night which is common for the GR routes. There are a few route options depending on weather and inclination. Feel free to pm or post any questions and I will try to answer.

I have also done the GR5 through the Ardenne and Vosges Mountains, the Jura and the Alps which are excellent but I feel the Pyrenees is a better.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: haute randonnée pyrénéenne

Postby MrFaulty » Thu 07 Dec, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks, having done the GR20 this year I have been bitten by the mountain bug - unfotunately the time requirements of this trip means it will likely not be until 2020 that I can get to it, however, as with most good trips, much fun is to be had in the planning, training and anticipation. I look forward to picking your brains when I have done further investigations into it, but at the moment, just a couple of questions:
- is it easy to get lost given that it is not a marked trail;
- did you walk west to east or vice vers and what time of year?

Thanks
Ben
MrFaulty
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to International