Picos de europa- has anyone been there?

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Picos de europa- has anyone been there?

Postby wobbly » Sun 09 May, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi
I'll be in Spain this June and am considering spending a few days walking in the Picos de Europa. If anyone has walked there I would be very grateful to hear their recommendations or other hints re which day or o'nite walks they'd recommend - or not.

thanks
Peter
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Picos de europa- has anyone been there?

Postby durks » Thu 13 May, 2010 4:53 pm

The Picos is a beautiful area and anything you do there will be worth it. We spent a couple of weeks there once; it is quite a long time ago and I no longer have maps to hand, but I remember we did something like:

1. Staying at Espinama, took the Fuente De cable car, then walked back to Espinama.

2. From Espinama, walked over to Posada, then down the Cares Gorge to Bulnes.

3. From Bulnes, walked up to see El Naranjo de Bulnes.

4. From Bulnes, walked down to Arenas de Cabrales, then went to Los Lagos de Covadonga by bus, then walked to a hut to the south of this area, stayed there the night, and returned. I remember this area in particular as being fascinating and quite wild karst limestone country.

Sorry I can't be more specific about actual names and places. The Cares Gorge is probably the most well-known trip, and it is certainly spectacular, but expect a large and well-trodden path, as well as crowds of others if you're there in peak times.

If you're interested in rock-climbing (or just rock architecture on a grand scale) then I would recommend a walk to see El Naranjo de Bulnes (there is a climbing hut at its foot): that is an amazing rock spire, and I am surprised that it is as little known as it seems to be amongst English-speaking climbers.

The final trip I mention above (i.e. walking in the area south of Los Lagos) is, I think, the one in which the scenery was the best.

On our trip, by the way, we stayed in a combination in mountain huts and valley pensions; we weren't camping, though you could equally do that.

I remember that we found a guidebook published by Sunflower Books pretty helpful: it's called 'Landscapes of northern Spain: Picos de Europa', and is written by Teresa Farino.

Finally: the coastal area, and the towns, north of the Picos are well worth spending time in: that area has a real regional identity. The food and drink are also great, and very particular to the area. Definitely go to a cider-bar; definitely also hunt down some Queso de Cabrales cheese (it's made in Arenas de Cabrales, mentioned above.)

I hope this helps and/or inspires you a little. It's a beautiful area; have a great trip.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wobbly » Fri 14 May, 2010 9:51 pm

Wow Durks thats great info
thanks heaps.

cheers
Peter
wobbly

Postby iandsmith » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 8:11 pm

Bugger, wish I'd seen your letter earlier. I'm envious, went there about a decade ago. Superb.
Hope you enjoyed it, post some of your pics.
Cheers
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International