The Lake District - England

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

The Lake District - England

Postby Erica » Wed 02 Jun, 2010 11:18 pm

Hey guys,

I'm headed up to the Lake District in Northern England for a few days soonish, was wondering if anyone can suggest/recommend any particular walks that are good in the region. From what I understand there are A LOT there, so would be nice if someone has any tips.

Thanks,

Erica
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: The Lake District - England

Postby durks » Fri 04 Jun, 2010 6:54 pm

By Australian/Tasmanian standards it's a small area, but it's a very pretty one and you should enjoy anything you do there - provided the weather's friendly.

To try to give a specific suggestion or two: Whereabouts in the Lakes are you going to be based, or is that completely flexible? What transport will you have? And what days of the week do you expect to be there? (I ask this last question in particular, since the obvious honeypot areas get very busy at weekends.)
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Erica » Sat 05 Jun, 2010 1:01 am

Its completely flexible where we'll be staying, haven't got anything booked yet, but will need to be public transport (ish) accessible, and will probably be there for about a weekish, over a weekend and then into the next week.
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby durks » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 1:30 am

You could get a lot done in a week!

First thing to mention is that most walking in the Lakes gets done as day walks from valley bases. It's of course possible to do longer backpacking through trips (and wild camping *is* allowed), but you don't see many folk doing this.

Accommodation in valley bases ranges from 5-star hotels, to hostels, to basic campsites. This time of year is peak season, so be prepared for places to be busy.

If at possible, I recommend you get a car, both to travel to the Lakes from wherever you're coming from, and then to get around the area. It will make your trip easier and more productive. Public transport (buses) *does* exist and is probably okay (you'll find timetables etc on the web) but getting this figured out will eat into your time. And I have no idea if you can get buses to where you might want to start walking from. I have never had much luck hitch-hiking in the Lakes, by the way: tourists generally don't want to pick up hitchers.

Guidebooks: there are *loads*. One I would recommend is 'On High Lakeland Fells' by Bob Allen. There are also plenty of web resources: just googling around now, http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/ looks pretty useful and even has maps.

Maps: the OS maps of the area are excellent, as is the British Mountaineering Council's 'Lake District' sheet which covers the entire area in one 1:40000 sheet. All paths are marked on the maps, so in a sense you can just chuck the guidebooks away, and make your own plans. If you're used to forcing your way through the Tasmanian scrub, then you may be pleasantly surprised to know that there are no such hazards here: most walking is across open country, and the major obstacles are in fact farmers' fences.

Specific trips: I am a little hesitant about making specific suggestions, since it definitely does depend on where you end up staying and what your transport options are. In any case, the options are virtually unlimited and anything you do will be good. However, you did ask, so:

1. I always like the feel of the north-west fells: i.e. that area west and south-west of Keswick. There, a round of Braithwaite-Grisedale Pike-HopeGill Head-Crag Hill-Sail-Causey Pike-Braithwaite is a good day out. Just to the south, the round Littletown-Robinson-Dale Head-High Spy-Littletown is also good and gives good views of Buttermere. These rounds would both be suitable if you were staying in or near Keswick.

2. For rocky scenery, the best area is the western fells: peaks like Scafell Pike, Scafell, and Great Gable. A there-and-back trip to Scafell Pike from a base in either Langdale or Borrowdale is good, but avoid weekends: Scafell Pike is the highest peak in England, and gets busy. Likewise, a trip to Great Gable from a base in Borrowdale is worth it. (If you're interested in rock climbing, Great Gable has significance, by the way: Napes Needle, on its south-west flank, is considered the birthplace of British rock-climbing.)

3. In the eastern fells, a round from Hartsop-The Knott-Kidsty Pike-Haweswater-Rough Crag-High Street-Thornthwaite Crag-Hartsop is a nice day and should be less busy. Haweswater also has interest as the only place in England where Golden Eagles are found (currently, only a solitary male, unfortunately.)

4. In the southern fells, a round from Coniston-Weatherlam-Swirl How-Coniston Old Man-Coniston is a good day out.

5. If you get sick of the crowds, head north to the hills 'back o' Skiddaw' - e.g. Carrock Fell and High Pike. The scenery here is less dramatic, but has its own attractions.

Well, I could go on (and on ...) but I hope you get the idea: there are endless possibilities.

I hope that helps a bit, or at least gives you something to think about. Post back if you have other questions. Main thing: enjoy your trip!
Last edited by durks on Mon 07 Jun, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lizzy » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 7:53 am

Hi there,
Years ago a few friends and I did the Cumbrian Way- we did a 3 walk, all accessed by walking and public transport. As already mentioned it is very different walking to here- often being close to civilisation for a meal or the night. We had a great time though.... looking at an old diary;
We started at Ambleside, thru Elterwater and camped at Dungeen Ghyll, then on to Stonethwaite and stayed at a B&B, then on to Keswick.

http://www.thecumbriaway.info/

As I said this was a loooooong time ago but may give you something to look into
Cheers
Liz
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lindsay » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 10:18 am

I have only passed through the Lakes in a car and have not done any walking, but last Christmas I was given a DVD, "Wainwrights Walks" which documents various Lake District walks based on the guide books written by Alfred Wainwright, apparently some sort of walking legend in the UK. The scenery and walking looks excellent so getting hold of Wainwrights' guides may give a good indication of what walks to do.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby rwfox » Sun 06 Jun, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi Erica

There are plenty of walks and places to stay in the Lakes. You can't go wrong.

We stayed at the National Trust camp site in Langdale last year, that had hot showers and a small shop (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w- ... ngdale.htm).

There is also a nice pub close by called The Old Dungeon Ghyll (ODG) the Hikers bar has meals and real ale :D (http://www.odg.co.uk/tariff/index.cfm?id=5). I see they also have rooms that look quite good, see link.
I sure there is a bus from Ambleside to the ODG hotel/ pub. Make sure you have a good raincoat. You will see that most poms walk in the rain and mist and have a good time

Ambleside is the home of the gear shop, so a good spot to look for boot bargains.

Roy :)
rwfox
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby iandsmith » Fri 05 Nov, 2010 6:43 am

Some great advice there. All I can add is that I'm also on a site called Virtualtourist and there's a German lass on there who has posted some stunning pictures of Buttermere. I'll try and include the address: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/5ee3d/#TL
Her handle on this site is Bigs. If you like landscape pics these are wonderful.
Cheers
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

A day walk in The Lake District - England

Postby Bush Walker » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 7:18 pm

I will be in the Lake District in mid April, based at Ullswater and would like to do a challenging, solo, 6 hour walk on one of the days or perhaps two linked 3 hrs walks.

I hear that the steamers are a good way to organise the return leg of the walks.

Any ideas near Ullswater?
My blog www.bushwalkingskills.com Sharing Bushwalking Skills and Knowledge
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: A day walk in The Lake District - England

Postby durks » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 7:57 pm

Bush Walker wrote:I will be in the Lake District in mid April, based at Ullswater and would like to do a challenging, solo, 6 hour walk on one of the days or perhaps two linked 3 hrs walks.

I hear that the steamers are a good way to organise the return leg of the walks.

Any ideas near Ullswater?

The obvious (cliched) suggestion from Glenridding would be up Helvellyn via Striding or Swirral edge, along to Grisedale Pike, and then back down. This entire area will be heaving on a weekend, but is nevertheless good scenery.

(You could do a return walk using the steamers which go from Glenridding northwards, but the walking options that way are probably less interesting.)
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Helvellyn

Postby Bush Walker » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks thats a great idea. I assume in mid april it could be snow covered. Any technical equipment required eg crampons, ice axe?

durks wrote:from Glenridding would be up Helvellyn via Striding or Swirral edge, along to Grisedale Pike, and then back down.

Have found Helvellyn and the views along the aretes look spectacular.
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Helvellyn

Postby durks » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 2:59 am

Bush Walker wrote:Thanks thats a great idea. I assume in mid april it could be snow covered. Any technical equipment required eg crampons, ice axe?

In mid-April, expect nice Spring-like conditions: there might be snow patches hanging around up high but, other than that, nothing to worry about in a normal year. So just you and your boots will do fine.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby durks » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 3:21 am

By the way, correcting myself, I notice I wrote:

durks wrote: ... suggestion from Glenridding would be up Helvellyn via Striding or Swirral edge, along to Grisedale Pike, and then back down ...

I *meant* to write: ' ... along to Grisedale Tarn ...', not Pike. That is up Helvellyn, follow the ridges south to Grisedale Tarn, then return east down the valley to Patterdale / Glenridding. You'll see what I mean when you look at a map. (There is a Grisedale Pike, but it's not in this area: it's west of Keswick.)

A shorter trip would just be up and down Helvellyn from Glenridding, e.g. up via Striding Edge and down via Swirral Edge.

Helvellyn's one of only four Lakeland peaks over 3000 feet, by the way, and from the east (i.e. Ullswater side) is an attractive mountain. The headwall gullies and buttresses offer some winter climbing in the right conditions.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bush Walker » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 7:07 am

Thanks for that additional information durks.

I assume in mid-april it could still be snow covered towards the top. Any technical equipment required eg crampons, ice axe?
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby durks » Mon 30 Jan, 2012 7:46 pm

Bush Walker wrote:I assume in mid-april it could still be snow covered towards the top. Any technical equipment required eg crampons, ice axe?

There might be patches of snow but, unless it's completely freak weather, you will not need an axe or crampons in April.
durks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bush Walker » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks. Thats' reassuring.
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides