Bushwalking in Fiji?

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Bushwalking in Fiji?

Postby johnw » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 10:50 am

It's only a half serious question. We're flying to Nadi tomorrow and spending 10 days at a resort on the Coral Coast with my wife's brother's family. They have 4 kids aged between 1 and 8. For my own sanity I may need to escape from our rugrat nephews and niece occasionally. Has anyone done any bushwalking around that part of Fiji? I'll only be equipped for short day trips at best and need to use public transport. What about the heat/humidity, or any other issues?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bushwalking in Fiji?

Postby Lindsay » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm sure the resort will be able find you something and may even organise transport. About 13 years ago we stayed at the Naviti resort on the coral coast. They organised a canoe trip up a nearby river with a short bushwalk to some very impressive waterfalls at the end of the canoe ride. The whole thing took most of a day with a swim at the falls and a picnic lunch on the riverbank after the walk. An organised trip rather than a solo walk but very pleasant nontheless. Heat and humidity were not really an issue as the breeze on the river helped considerably, as did the swimming. A bit sweaty in the jungle though on the way to the falls.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 2:07 pm

Lindsay wrote:I'm sure the resort will be able find something. About 13 years ago we stayed at the Naviti resort on the coral coast. They organised a canoe trip up a nearby river with a short bushwalk to some very impressive waterfalls at the end of the canoe ride. The whole thing took most of a day with a swim at the falls and a picnic lunch on the riverbank after the walk. An organised trip rather than a solo walk but very pleasant nontheless. Heat and humidity were not really an issue as the breeze on the river helped considerably, as did the swimming.

Thanks Lindsay, that sounds very appealing. Coincidentally it's the same resort! I think my wife mentioned something like this, will look into it when we get there.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 2:55 pm

Arrived home Monday evening after a great time and 10 days of mostly tropical sunshine and fairly hot weather :). And plenty of overindulgence that will take weeks to work off :roll:. I managed to organise a guided 1/2 day walk to a scenic local waterfall, arranged with the village next door to the resort. I'm still going through my photos and will post a few in due course with a bit more info.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to International