UK national trails

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

UK national trails

Postby davidmorr » Mon 08 Aug, 2011 11:00 pm

I know they are not real walks (start from a pub, eat lunch at a pub and finish up at a pub in the afternoon, maybe pass a pub or two on the way), but they have a lot of history. :-)

A few friends are thinking of heading off to the UK next year to do the Offa's Dyke Path and maybe also walk the length of Hadrian's Wall.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/offasdyke/

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/HadriansWall/

Anyone have any experience with these tracks?
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: UK national trails

Postby Lizzy » Tue 09 Aug, 2011 7:15 am

of course they are "real" walks! Maybe not scorparia clothes ripping/ bush bashing territory but you still nedd to put one foot in front of the other... haven't done those walk but did a few different ones (Lakes District, Cambridge Way, also some Scotand, Ireland & Wales) years ago and was very pleasant walking, as you said had historical significant and being able to stop at little pubs was all part of the atmosphere. Enjoy and don't be put off that they are not "real" hardcore walks.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lindsay » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 8:21 pm

I did a half day walk on Hadrians wall a few years back. A nice relaxed stroll and some excellent views, although I spent more time looking at the Roman ruins at Housteads and Cawfields than actually walking. This would be a great walk from end to end.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby davidmorr » Fri 12 Aug, 2011 12:29 am

Yes, I have seen bits of it, and had a look at the forts, and was intrigued by the idea of walking the length of it. Must have been pretty rugged for the Romans from a warm climate to be based in such a miserable cold place.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International