Best long distance trails?

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Best long distance trails?

Postby under10kg » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 8:11 am

I see some long distance walks in the USA and other places that I would like to try in the future. (retirement plan!)
What is one of the best ones in the USA and other parts of the world that you have tried?
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Best long distance trails?

Postby wayno » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 4:33 pm

how long distance are you thinking about? hundreds or thousands of k's?
i havent done any, but pacific crest in the states looks impressive if you're up for 3000k's or the john muir trail if 300ks is more your cup of tea going btween the 14000fit mt whitney and yosemite...
numerous video diaries on these trails on youtube and vimeo,
appalachian looks interesting but seems the shelters are often overcrowded and you have to be prepared for a lot of rain....
Last edited by wayno on Tue 03 Apr, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby under10kg » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 7:05 am

Hard to know if I would love walking 3000 k till I try it I think.
I expect I would first try a shorter one of a month to start.
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby JohnDaly TakeAWalk » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:29 pm

We have led hiking trips to several of the worlds classic destinations. The West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island is great. The inca Trail to Machu Pichu is terrific, and the Mont Blanc Circuit is within the capabilities of most self-reliant walkers. The Drakensburg Range in South Africa is simply stunning and the Torres del Paine Circuit lives up to expectations. Later this year we are leading a trip to Spain & France and next year we are planning a group hike on the John Muir Trail.
But why not try some of the multi-day hikes in Australia. The Thorsborne Trail on Hinchinbrook Island is great, the Jatbula Trail in the NT is excellent, then there's the Overland Track in Tassie, the Cape to Cape in WA and the Fraser Island Great Walk. The Bogong High PLains are terrific, but so is the Main Range in Kosciuszko. Then you could work your way up to the Larapinta Trail in the NT. The Bibbulmun Track in WA is also well worth doing and is easy to organise. Then you may be able to build up to the Australian Alps Walking Track. Definitely not for the faint hearted but it is able to be done in three excelent distinct stages.
Hmmm. I could recommend a good guide book.
JohnDaly TakeAWalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Return to International