Slovakia - Tatras Mountains

Discussion of Bushwalking, Hiking, Trekking, Tramping, Rambling and Camping elsewhere around the world.

Slovakia - Tatras Mountains

Postby davidp » Tue 15 May, 2012 8:31 am

Has anyone any suggestions for walks in Slovakia - in particular the Tatras mountains ?
We are going there to attend the Junior World Orienteering Championships in July
davidp
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Slovakia - Tatras Mountains

Postby Whits » Mon 28 May, 2012 10:53 pm

Check out Slovinsky Raj NP as well some great river walks and its not far from the Tatras. I cant remember the names of the trails I walked, I just turned up and followed the markers and did the same in the Tatras as well.
Whits
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Re: Slovakia - Tatras Mountains

Postby davidp » Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:11 pm

We had a great 3 day walk in the High Tatras Slovakia. I would recommend it. Detailed maps are easy to buy when you are over there. Be aware that many of the walks are officially closed until 15th June each year. Some are one way so you do need to plan a bit. They are popular as there are lots of huts that you can book a basic bed and a meal - yes it is best to book. We met people doing longer walks (10 days) too. Nearby to the south of Poprad is Slovensky Raj NP which has some good canyons with many rickety wooden ladders that provide good (but popular) day walks. Cost of living is cheap compared to Italy. Other highlights nearby (by car) were Spis Castle and the Ice Cave.
davidp
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to International