Desktop version
Competitions, photo games, and other forum hosted games.

Forum rules

Only administrators may post new topics to this forum. Registered users can post replies.
Post a reply

Re: GAME: Where am I?

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 10:29 am

At first I thought it was Barn Bluff from the north west - near Recondite or Brewery - now I'm wondering about maybe Pelion East from west or north west - maybe from Pine Forest Moor near Pelion West?

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 11:52 am

north-north-west wrote:At first I thought it was Barn Bluff from the north west - near Recondite or Brewery - now I'm wondering about maybe Pelion East from west or north west - maybe from Pine Forest Moor near Pelion West?

Your first thought was correct in terms of the mountain, but too far away, and not nearly well enough trodden.

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 6:56 pm

on the OLT near the turnoff to Scott Kilvert? I'm only guessing because BB hides when I am near.

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 6:57 pm

From The Horse Track?

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 7:02 pm

Last wrote:on the OLT near the turnoff to Scott Kilvert? I'm only guessing because BB hides when I am near.

Close enough, Last. It's actually before Fury River, but you're in the ballpark I was after. It's a great view of BB along there. Sorry you haven't got it yet!

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 7:04 pm

Graham51 wrote:From The Horse Track?

Close enough too, I reckon, but Last got in First.

Mon 17 Feb, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks Tortoise. Might have another go at BB soon. Next. Apologies for the picture quality.
Attachments
picture105.JPG
Mt Picton looking to Hartz Mountains
Last edited by Last on Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 9:31 am

I think you are on Mt Picton looking to Hartz Mountains N.P

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:02 am

I think you are correct

Tue 18 Feb, 2020 10:44 am

I Know i've been hanging out to get back up Picton and the South Picton's. who know's when! I'm getting impatient

Next:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.84 KiB) Viewed 9242 times

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 8:12 am

A clue then...

Some-thing(s) in this photo is named for Robert....

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 9:27 am

Guessing the clue might refer to Bobs Knobs, but I have no idea where from.

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 11:10 am

Had a bit of a look on the map. Maybe from Mesa?

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 11:59 am

Yep. Pretty close. About half hour to the south of Mesa's summit. Some very remote views from here.

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 2:58 pm

RicktheHuman wrote:Yep. Pretty close. About half hour to the south of Mesa's summit. Some very remote views from here.

Were you trying to traverse across to Alexandra? I'd be interested to know a bit about what you encountered however far you went.

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 3:38 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Were you trying to traverse across to Alexandra? I'd be interested to know a bit about what you encountered however far you went.

No. We had another plan. Although we got a bit of a look and photos of some of the route to Alexandra.
Will PM you

Wed 19 Feb, 2020 5:11 pm

Thanks, RtH. No wonder we needed a clue. :wink:
Next one:
Attachments
DSC07220.jpg
From Slatters Peak, overlooking Lake Anne and Saxons Tarn on the King William Range. Frenchmans on the top right horizon.
Last edited by Tortoise on Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 7:15 am

Clue time. I thought folks would pick up on the popular Abel on the far right horizon. (Edit: but I guess the profile is different from the usual one.) I'm on another one, having done the harder yards. And we had an easy walk up another the next morning.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:05 am

Yeah, Frenchmans at the back corner is obvious, but I can't work out the lakes below.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:09 am

north-north-west wrote:Yeah, Frenchmans at the back corner is obvious

and we're a couple of ranges over...

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:10 am

KW1

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:12 am

north-north-west wrote:I can't work out the lakes below.

Only the larger one has an official name.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:19 am

norts wrote:KW1

Right range (not quite sure if officially extends to that), wrong bit.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:26 am

Only thing I can think of is looking over Lake Anne from somewhere up on Slatters.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:46 am

north-north-west wrote:Only thing I can think of is looking over Lake Anne from somewhere up on Slatters.

There's a good reason for that! Up there on top of Slatters, looking over Lake Anne we were.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 8:56 am

It's been too long since I was up on that one, and the overriding memories from that trip were of the weather returning to the northern plateau. Have to go back and see what it's like down on KWIII when the viz is over 5metres.

Next.
Attachments
5d-9629 copy.jpg

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 9:13 am

The timber suggests Lake Gordon maybe... Boyes Basin looking up to Stepped Hills/Dome Hill?

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 11:05 am

Lake Gordon, but this shot was taken this month. Boyes Basin is only accessible by boat.

Thu 20 Feb, 2020 4:40 pm

In other news, that isn't Stepped Hills in the shot. Clear Hill is visible from here, but we're looking in a different direction.
Last edited by north-north-west on Fri 21 Feb, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri 21 Feb, 2020 9:01 am

Oh come on. You don't have to walk to get here, or to use a boat, although people do take boats here.
Post a reply