Three day hike recommendation

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Three day hike recommendation

Postby flaubert_deciduous » Sat 04 Oct, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi guys. I have a somewhat specific request for a three day hike in the Blue Mountains. I've checked WildWalks and BushwalkingNSW but couldn't find anything which quite meets my criteria so I thought I'd ask the knowledgable people of bushwalk.com for a suggestion.

The criteria I'm after are as follows:
- we don't have a car so we need to take public transport to and from the hike.
- I'm trying to impress a girl so spectacular views and scenery would be nice.
- campfires are a must.
- I don't own any maps so I'll be buying whatever maps I need, we're both students though so the fewer maps we need to buy the better.
- I am pretty experienced at bushwalking and camping and general outdoor activities but my partner is not, so it can't be too strenuous.
- campsites where we can see the stars would be awesome.
- no need to carry water in with us is a plus

Other than that, we're both pretty fit and keen for a challenge. I've done the Six Foot Track a few years ago and didn't find it too difficult. I'd do it again but we need a train or public bus at the end.
Thanks for any suggestions you have! :)
flaubert_deciduous
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Three day hike recommendation

Postby jonnosan » Sat 04 Oct, 2014 9:34 pm

You can easily extend Katoomba / Mt Solitary / Wentworth Falls to 3 days by camping 1st night on Mt Solitary, 2nd night down in the valley - typical route would be http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... alley.html

The other option would be Mt Vic to Blackheath via the Grose e.g. http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... ation.html
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Marwood » Sun 05 Oct, 2014 7:54 am

Hi,

I've just got back from a 3 day hike around Jamison Valley in the BMs (with my 12 yo nephew on his first overnight bushwalk) around a similar route to the one Jonnosan linked.

Day 1: We took the train to Wentworth Falls Station, then initally followed the route Wildwalks shows but in reverse to Kedumba Valley Road, via Darwins Track, Wentworth Falls, Rocket Point, Holdern Road, Kings Tableland Road, and to Kedumba Valley Road. We lunched at Cleary's Memorial/Lookout, and continued down the road to the Maxwells Farm site and the campsite at Kedumba crossing for the night. This was about 20km and 6 hours for the day, most of it on gravel roads and fire trail. There's fire rings and a composting toilet at the campsite, with clean-ish water available in the creek that drains into Kedumba River. Also a zillion roos grazing and poo to match.

Day 2: We crossed Kedumba River which is about 15cm deep at the moment, and walked up the fire trail for about 2.5km, the turned onto the signposted Maxwell's Track which links to the Mt Solitary track after about 4-500m. We continued up to The Col, and along Mt Solitary and lunched at the lookout and campsite at Singajingawell. Noted a very small trickle of water in the creek, though there may be more a little further down. We stopped at Chinamans Gully and Mevilles Lookout, and I took a walk down to the lower end of the creek which was amost completely dry, but I found a couple of small pools of clear water near the lower campsite. We camped the second night under the casuarinas at the western end of Solitary just above Koorowall Knife Edge. Not being sure of the amount of water around on Solitary, we took enough from Kedumba crossing for the overnight, but it looks like there'll be a little water to be found up there for the next week or two only unless there's rain. About 8km walk for the day, took us about 5 hours all up.

Day 3: We took the track down the Koorowall and past the base of the Ruined Castle, where Parks have recently installed a couple of shelters with picnic tables with water tanks, and composting toilets. I didn't check but I doubt if there's any water in the tanks as yet. Our original plan was to continue round past the the landslide to the Scenic railway, and take it then the bus up to Katoomba Railway Station and train back to Sydney. Instead we went up the Golden Stairs where we'd arranged a lift the night before. About 9 or 10km for the day, and 3 hours walking.

So:
Public transport: check.
Campfires: check for both nights.
Spectacular views: check.
Campsite with starry views check (BYO clear skies).
No water carrying: hmm, OK for Day 1 with drinking water only, but I'd carry water for the next 2 days to be safe.
Maps needed: Katoomba 8930-1S and Jamison 8930-2N.

As well as the Wildwalks site, check also http://www.dingogap.net.au/navigation/scenery/bluemountains/kedumba_main.html. :D
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby robertoman » Sun 05 Oct, 2014 9:35 am

that 12 year old nephew must be a tough cookie
robertoman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Marwood » Sun 05 Oct, 2014 10:47 am

One tough cookie...

CameraZOOM-20141002121405927.jpg
CameraZOOM-20141002121405927.jpg (368.2 KiB) Viewed 19118 times
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby kanangra » Sun 05 Oct, 2014 1:12 pm

And a cool dude too! 8)
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby skibug » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 9:43 am

Hey flaubert_deciduous,

There is a daily bus every day from Katoomba to Jenolan Caves that leaves mid-morning, and gets there around midday - $45 - see http://www.trolleytours.com.au/jenolan-caves-tours. You can easily make Black Range campsite from there by nightfall - in fact you could really impress her with one of the cave tours before you head off (the bus company includes a tour in a package). At the Katoomba end, the track ends at Explorer's tree, but there is a better way to Katoomba that doesn't require walking the highway (without a footpath). At the top of Nellie's Glen, there is a track to a lookout on your right. Walk down to it, take in the views, then walk back up about 40 metres and take a track on your right. it comes out on Stuart Street, from where you can walk the (pleasant) streets of Katoomba back to the station.

If you want your girl to have good views, that's up to you and your personal trainer! ;>)

Skibug.
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby michael_p » Mon 06 Oct, 2014 11:02 am

skibug wrote:...but there is a better way to Katoomba that doesn't require walking the highway (without a footpath). At the top of Nellie's Glen, there is a track to a lookout on your right. Walk down to it, take in the views, then walk back up about 40 metres and take a track on your right. it comes out on Stuart Street, from where you can walk the (pleasant) streets of Katoomba back to the station...

It is worth adding that the track to Stuarts Rd is on Open Street Maps: http://osm.org/go/uYii~pp7g-. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flaubert_deciduous » Tue 07 Oct, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks for all your input guys! Very helpful :)

I think we will do the Katoomba to Wentworth Falls via the Jamison Valley walk over three days. Photos I've seen from the campsite at Mt Solitary look pretty spectacular.

All the campsites and tracks that people mention, are they marked on the topo maps at all? OSM seems to have some tracks marked.

I note that there is no water until Kedumba River on the second night, would 8L of water each be an appropriate amount to take? Also is Keduma River a decent place to camp for the second night?
flaubert_deciduous
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby perfectlydark » Fri 10 Oct, 2014 5:00 am

Thats plenty of water ) you could probably get away with 5 each and be very safe but take whats comfortable. Ive camped at the river a few times, good spot. Not sure if it gets much mossies this time of year
perfectlydark

Postby skibug » Fri 10 Oct, 2014 11:56 am

Good choice, flaubert_deciduous,

Bear in mind that this is a reasonably challenging walk, especially if carrying an extra 8kg (of water). Your female friend will need to be fairly resilient to take this on - you don't want her to have a bad experience. If she's not used to bushwalking, don't let her start with more than 12kg on her back - even if you have to carry the rest.

The top of Solitary has two creeks, which may or may not have potable water depending on recent rainfall. Check with this forum in the week prior to your trip, you'll probably get decent information - but I would hazard that if Katoomba gets 20mm of rain or more in the 5 days prior to your hike, and temps are below 30 degrees, you would probably have water up there. This is just an educated guess, though, and I take no responsibility!

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flaubert_deciduous » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 2:27 pm

Ok thanks perfectlydark, we'll each stick to 5L. I guess 8L is a hell of a lot of water.

We're planning on going on Friday next week (the 17th). It looks like there will be some rain between now and then but I'll make sure we have enough water just in case.

I suppose wishing for BBQs or grills at any of the campsites would be a bit hopeful? Neither of us own any camp cooking gear, so at the moment we're just going to take an old pan and build something over some coals.

Are any of the tracks marked on the topo maps? The track notes look good, I guess they're probably enough.

Does anyone know if it's possible to drop an EPIB from Katoomba police station off somewhere in Wentworth Falls?

Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I've been camping since leaving school a decade ago!
flaubert_deciduous
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby perfectlydark » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 3:48 pm

Good luck and have fun! Dont count on water at the top of solitary always been dry when Ive been so if you have enough to get to the river all good. No grills at firesites and technically your not supposed to have them there, although at the river its much easier as theres lots of driftwood around. The notes are good but be warned the track can be vague in parts so make sure you have a map.
Have fun, its a fantastic walk and a good challenge too
perfectlydark

Postby tom_brennan » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 10:29 pm

Make sure you have the relevant topos. If you don't want to buy them, you could piece them together off the Lands Dept website (probably more trouble than it's worth, but hey) - http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ - has the current topos as one of the background basemap layers.

You can buy a billy for about $10. Most bushwalkers just put their billies straight on to the fire - http://smiffyspics.smugmug.com/Adventur ... -SVLL37m/A - no need to worry about grills/BBQs etc. Just make sure it's in a plastic bag, otherwise you'll have soot all over everything in your pack!
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 5:34 am

Here's another way of accessing the topos : http://topo.notto.be/
jonnosan

Postby jonnosan » Mon 20 Oct, 2014 8:33 pm

So... did you make it? how was it?
jonnosan

Postby michael_p » Mon 20 Oct, 2014 11:26 pm

jonnosan wrote:Here's another way of accessing the topos : http://topo.notto.be/

That's very interesting.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby flaubert_deciduous » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 12:40 pm

jonnosan wrote:So... did you make it? how was it?

We caught train to Katoomba last Wednesday morning. We got there and decided to get breakfast in a cafe near the station. While we were eating there we saw a few cars drive past covered with SNOW! IN OCTOBER! I looked up the forecast and it said there was a chance for more snow. We weren't really prepared for that kind of weather so unfortunately we had to call it off :(

As soon as we can get time off work again we'll be hitting the track though, since our bags are still packed!
flaubert_deciduous
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby perfectlydark » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 2:59 pm

Snow probably (probably) wouldnt have affected your plans on this route OP but good you made the call where you felt uncertain. Better luck next time!
perfectlydark

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:20 pm

flaubert_deciduous wrote:
jonnosan wrote:So... did you make it? how was it?

We caught train to Katoomba last Wednesday morning. We got there and decided to get breakfast in a cafe near the station. While we were eating there we saw a few cars drive past covered with SNOW! IN OCTOBER! I looked up the forecast and it said there was a chance for more snow. We weren't really prepared for that kind of weather so unfortunately we had to call it off :(

As soon as we can get time off work again we'll be hitting the track though, since our bags are still packed!

Snow in October is not that rare in the Blue Mountains. Two years ago - it also snowed about the same time of the year. And I have also experienced snow on the Boyd Plateau on October Long Weekends several times. Also -I can remember reading about a white christmas in Megalong Valley -and that is much lower than Katoomba. So - you should always be prepared for snow if you walk in the Blue Mts. It is usually no big deal - and soon melts away.

On your visit - the weather after that snowfall was quite good - in fact ideal walking weather. Even in bad weather - Mt Solitary is a good place to go - with good sheltered campsites and caves. No problems with navigation in mist - as you follow a track all the way - and it is easy to "escape" - e.g. go back the same way. It is regarded as a good "bad weather option" by walkers who would pike out on other longer trips in the face of a poor weather forecast.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:22 pm

Personally, I very much prefer snow to what we had last year. Gigantic pre-season bushfires.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby tasadam » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 3:10 pm

Irrelevant posts have been moved to their own topic -
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18525

A reminder to all to read rule 21.
http://www.bushwalk.com/rules.php
Sure would save us a lot of time.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby River » Wed 26 Nov, 2014 12:02 pm

jonnosan wrote:Here's another way of accessing the topos : http://topo.notto.be/

This is a really nice link, thank you very much!
River
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Rob Gosford » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 6:09 am

River wrote:This is a really nice link, thank you very much!

+1
yes thank you jonnosan. very helpfull 8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT