November 2019 Fires

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: November 2019 Fires

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 25 Nov, 2019 3:47 pm

thanks but im struggling with that site.

Maybe im doing it wrong but I find it virtually impossible to use the map on global forest watch to identify locations. Tried for 10 mins but cant find the start of the green gully track or surounding roads/fire trails. Map box is to small and the roads/trails fade out to soon at lower zoom levels.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Neo » Sat 30 Nov, 2019 7:57 pm

wildwanderer wrote:thanks but im struggling with that site.

Maybe im doing it wrong but I find it virtually impossible to use the map on global forest watch to identify locations. Tried for 10 mins but cant find the start of the green gully track or surounding roads/fire trails. Map box is to small and the roads/trails fade out to soon at lower zoom levels.

Just used Google maps to search for Green gully track (Yarrowitch) then compared via memory with the grey areas on Fires near me NSW...

All the darker green areas (bush) is included in the fire footprint, the lightest areas (paddocks or cleared land) aren't included.

So most likely the answer is yes, some form of fire has moved through there. To be sure contact NP or the nearest rutal fire brigade directly. That might be Walca.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 10:51 am

Things are not looking good this week..

The Wollemi fires that were 'out' with passing rain have reignited.. and there are now some new ones burning too..

Princes Hwy closed.. north of Batemans Bay
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-02/ ... e/11755264

And at the Three Sisters...
Warin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Neo » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 11:08 am

Was it this year they were doing hazard reduction burns south of Katoomba?..

Sadly it looks like Murramarang NP will burn today. So far Budawangs in southern Morton NP and up around Barrington Tops have not ignited yet!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 12:32 pm

Yep, that whole area being burnt went up in smoke 6 months ago. Gonna be absolutely devastating to the plants and wildlife in the area. Lots of lovely rainforest in that area too, so its a crying shame ).;

There's a few big fires out around Yerranderie too- looks like a good chunk of Mootik Walls, Mt Colong, and the Blue Breaks is burnt.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LachlanB » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 1:14 pm

So I thought I should probably update the scary numbers of the amount of area burnt, as it’s been a few weeks. Oh and there’s still no end in sight…
Going from south to north:
20,776ha in Tallaganda NP
15,017ha in Bimberamala NP (and more to come in Murramarang NP)
21,988ha in the Blue Mtns NP and Kanangra (mostly all completely out of control)
213,550ha in Wollemi (this has been burning for months now)
8,945ha in Yengo NP (out of control)
6,773ha in Goulburn River NP (and out of control)
31,268ha Talawahl NR
12,859ha in Crowdy Bay (the whole park)
109,095ha in Tapin Tops NP and several other parks and forests across to Nowendoc
32,315ha in Biriwal Bulga NP
88,604ha in Cottan-Bimbang NP
120,869ha in Carri NP and Willi Willi NP
229,515ha in Carrai Np and Oxley Wild Rivers NP
31,440ha in Dunggir NP
22,819ha in Cathedral Rock NP
18,478ha in Mt Kaputar NP
183,653ha in Nimboi-Binderay NP, Guy Fawkes River, Nymboida, and Gibraltar Range NPs
98,457ha in Washpool NP
178,691ha in several smaller parks and state forests between Washpool NP and Bundjalung NP
6,520ha in Nightcap NP
25,246ha in Mount Notofagus and Mount Barney NPs

Oh, and I didn’t count every fire, and some have been removed from the RFS map because they’ve either been put out or run out of things to burn.

This adds up to 1,478,878ha. Nearly A MILLION AND A HALF hectares burnt. With more to come, easily, as most of the fires aren’t much under control. That’s 14,788.78 square kilometers, probably about twice the area that had burnt a month ago.. That’s basically the entirety of the Greater Blue Mountains area, between Goulburn River NP in the north to Wombeayan KCR in the south. Sure, it might ‘only’ be 2% of the area of NSW, but it is a freaking important 2%.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 2:11 pm

Neo wrote:Was it this year they were doing hazard reduction burns south of Katoomba?..

Sadly it looks like Murramarang NP will burn today. So far Budawangs in southern Morton NP and up around Barrington Tops have not ignited yet!
Budawang NP is pretty close to one fire. Near the Mt Currockbilly side.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 3:40 pm

Kowmung R area now burnt :(
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby duncanm » Wed 04 Dec, 2019 8:32 am

This is a very good resource for sat pics - Visual and IR.

NASA
duncanm
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Wed 04 Dec, 2019 3:40 pm

Looks like the BOM rain radar is showing smoke clouds at the moment
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR712.loop.shtml#skip
Warin

Postby mandragara » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 12:45 am

The nightmare keeps going, no end in sight. How's everyone holding up?
mandragara
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnw » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 10:20 am

mandragara wrote:The nightmare keeps going, no end in sight. How's everyone holding up?

Holding up OK but it is depressing. I know it is actually a sunny day above the perpetual smoke haze.
One of the largest bushland areas in the Sydney basin starts about 700 metres to the east of my place.
Due to the immediate geography/topology I would not ordinarily consider us under direct bushfire threat, but these are not normal conditions.
We are fortunate to not be directly impacted by the current fires ringing Sydney, but we are in one of the worst smoke affected areas.
I don't how much smoke I've inhaled over the past however many days. Stinging eyes and so on.
I've definitely noticed it affecting my breathing going for a run, bike ride or anything else reasonably strenuous.
I would/should curtail those activities temporarily but the problem is we're being told this is likely to become the new normal.
In which case my health would likely deteriorate anyway due to lack of exercise, and we'll still breathe the smoke.
The Wollondilly/Yerranderie fire is not close, but not all that far away relatively speaking, and has jumped the Burragorang Valley and heading east.
This morning there is now black ash and burnt gum leaves all over my place outside.
Bushwalking looks like being very restricted unless we get much needed rain. I did go for a walk in Royal NP the other Saturday but nothing since.
Last edited by johnw on Fri 06 Dec, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 10:31 am

johnw wrote:I don't how much smoke I've inhahed over the past however many days. Stinging eyes and so on.
I've definitely noticed it affecting my breathing going for a run, bike ride or anything else reasonably strenuous.

I've ordered some P2 face masks ... 20 of them. With AS marks so they should be ok for smoke. That is ok for breathing, for the eyes some safety googles .. they are hot though.

I have managed to avoid the exercise smoke thing so far by picking when I go. A walk is getting difficult with the closure of the local National Park when ever there is a total fire ban.

Good luck to all. Probably burning into Jan if not Feb... :(
Last edited by Warin on Fri 06 Dec, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warin

Postby crollsurf » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 4:20 pm

Starting to see people wearing masks in Sydney. Hope it doesn't catch on like in Japan but understandable ATM.

Hospital admissions and Ambulance callout are up 20-30% in Sydney. Except for a few days, we have had smoke, sometimes heavy for weeks now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf

Postby Neo » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 4:56 pm

Looks like the northern half of Wollemi is about to go too. Kanangra and Natti have linked up, as have much of the northern NSW escarpment!

A bit less wind strength forecast tomorrow, then it changes to a mix of north and east but getting hotter next week so no end in sight yet.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Fri 06 Dec, 2019 6:48 pm

Southerly pushing through Sydney and burnt leaves falling out of the sky. Can only imagine those leaves came from the fires 300km South of here!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf

Postby ribuck » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 7:01 am

I was planning a Budawangs trip for yesterday and the day before, but that got closed. Then I planned to head out from Bell into some nice moist canyons, but they got closed. So my wife and I ended up doing a very dry trip down Matadoro Ridge to Wineglass Tor in the Shoalhaven area. At least the air was fresh and clean. The smoky air was so striking coming back into Sydney.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jonnosan » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 1:53 pm

Is it correct to say that there is currently nowhere legal and safe to go bushwalking anywhere in the blue mountains? as far as I can ascertain, all of the tracks (even ones that are well away from any current fire) within the national park are officially closed, cant really see that changing for a long time either. I was planning on going down to the snowies for new years, hopefully that will still be possible.
jonnosan

Postby Warin » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 2:31 pm

jonnosan wrote:Is it correct to say that there is currently nowhere legal and safe to go bushwalking anywhere in the blue mountains?

Safe? Sorry but your level of risk vs safety my differ from mine. So that you should evaluate yourself.

Legally? Well my local National Park bands walking at any time there is a total fire ban. Other parks may do the same in NSW. I expect all the NSW parks will eventually to cover their legal backsides. In the mean time what parts are closed is on their website.
Warin

Postby jonnosan » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 3:40 pm

yeah probably not a well worded question, will rephrase as "is anyone willing to recommend on a public forum anywhere that is within 2 hrs drive of katoomba I could go for 2 to 6 hr walk somewhere before xmas?"

I expect the answer will be no, but figured its worth a punt as my mind and body would both benefit from a bit of time spent out in the bush.

EDIT: actually I worked out what I really should be doing here - I am going to see how I can help out with the local RFS.
jonnosan

Postby Grabeach » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 6:55 pm

If your have trouble determining where fire lines on the RFS map actually are, it may be useful to note that the RFS map and SIX Maps use the same scales. If you can find a known point (eg. creek junction , property boundary corner) you can set them up the two maps to occupy the same space on your monitor and tab between the two. To the accuracy of the RFS data, you can determine how far the fire is from anything visible on the SIX air photos. Of particular interest to me was that the Kowmung (Kanangra) fire is currently 200m SE from the CBC Shack chapel on Scotts Main Range.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Neo » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 7:23 pm

Jonosan the Gardens of Stone maaay still be an option.
Could check out Abercrombie NP for a walk.
Could also go for state forests. I dislike radiata pine but it can be surreal walking in a monoculture. If your licky you might find an arboretum!
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 7:29 pm

I recently read that park managers like to know who is in the more remote parts of the park so that if there's a fire they can attempt to evacuate such people. Should park managers be advised of intentions?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 7:49 pm

jonnosan wrote:is anyone willing to recommend on a public forum anywhere that is within 2 hrs drive of katoomba I could go for 2 to 6 hr walk somewhere before xmas?

Yes! The Grand Canyon loop near Blackheath is explicitly exempted from the closures. Three hours or so of walking, 15 minutes' drive from Katoomba.

Further afield, viable options seem to be the north part of Morton NP, plus all of Deua NP and the Snowy Mountains. I'm off to Bungonia Gorge tomorrow morning, having returned yesterday from two days on the Shoalhaven at Wineglass Tor.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jonnosan » Sat 07 Dec, 2019 8:19 pm

ribuck wrote:Yes! The Grand Canyon loop near Blackheath is explicitly exempted from the closures. Three hours or so of walking, 15 minutes' drive from Katoomba.

Thanks, I hadn't realized that was still open! Have done it a few times before but will fit the bill nicely I think.
jonnosan

Postby jonnosan » Sun 08 Dec, 2019 1:09 pm

I can confirm that as of today at least, the grand canyon loop is open (even the abseil it seems judging from the number of folks I saw with wetsuits and ropes) and once you are below the cliffs the air is very pleasant.
jonnosan

Postby Neo » Sun 08 Dec, 2019 3:59 pm

Ppssibly the only canyon that can take the guided tours at the moment. I dont see why Empress would be off though.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Sun 08 Dec, 2019 8:08 pm

According to https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/vi ... cal-alerts the only Grand Canyon is the only one open:

All remote walking tracks, canyons and rock climbing descending below cliffs out of Mount Wilson, Bell, Green Gully, south of Katoomba to Woodford and into the Grose Valley (excluding Grand Canyon).

That page also says all the Wentworth Falls tracks are also closed.

According to BMCC list, https://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/walking-tracks, all walks (other than Darwins walk) between Katoomba and Wentworth Falls are closed but I am not sure of the status of walks on BMCC crown land that are outside of the national parks e.g. North Lawson/South Lawson waterfall circuits, Florabella pass, Terrace Falls.
jonnosan

Postby wildwanderer » Sun 08 Dec, 2019 8:57 pm

Track closures are a sensible precaution I think.

That gospers mtn juggernaut has me concerned. It's now only 12 km from bilpin and the bells line of road.

And its about to join with the three mile fire which is now about 7km from mount white on the central coast.

I don't think our government leadership state or federal has comprehended just how serious this bushfire situation is.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 08 Dec, 2019 9:34 pm

Seems like mt currockbilly in the Budawangs has burnt according to the rfs app. Hope the logbook survives.
Huntsman247
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales & ACT