Great North Walk, NSW... How many days?!

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great North Walk, NSW... How many days?!

Postby Sunshine2020 » Sat 23 May, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone would be able to help answer my question, as I have been spending hours searching online!

I am looking to do the thru-hike for the GNW, however I am struggling to get concrete info regarding the possibilities of how many days to take. Ideally I would like to complete the thru-hike in 9 days and I would appreciate any input from anyone that has completed the end to end trail to get an idea of how realistic this is. My thoughts are to camp en route ideally.

I have the GNW book with the routes, have checked out the GNW website etc, however given the elevation and distances, the trail time estimate seem a little long. I am ok hiking around 30km-40km a day with decent elevation. I would be very grateful for any input from anyone who has completed the end to end trail, and any comments on the quality of camping sites along the way.

I have seen routes for 16 days and 12 days, but has anyone done it in less time than this....? Advice very welcome :)

Many thanks!
Sunshine2020
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Great North Walk, NSW... How many days?!

Postby mandragara » Sat 23 May, 2020 8:53 pm

It's highly variable and depends on your fitness, how slow you like your mornings etc. I've done the GNW from Sydney start to the Hawkesbury.

The fastest time I can find is from a runner who did it in 57 hours, but thats insane.

I reckon, with a full heavy pack, 2.5 kmph is a comfortable speed. At 10 hours walking a day, it'd take you 10 days to walk the entire GNW.

If you plan to top up on food etc every day or so, then your pack would be lighter and I think 3 to 3-and-a-bit is reasonable. So that would easily fit in your 9 day plan.

I'd advise you to carry a 'proper' water filter, like the Katadyn Vario. A lot of the water on the walk can be a bit... suspect and definitely needs filtration, the weight savings are real though!

You could pack a dummy pack and walk a full day on the GNW with it, say the stuff near Mt Ku-ring-gai, if you're Sydney based. Get a feel for your speed and then just extrapolate from that
mandragara
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ribuck » Sun 24 May, 2020 1:15 am

14 days is a good steady pace without pushing it. Nine days is doable, but you won't have time to smell the roses along the way.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby DavidB » Sun 24 May, 2020 11:25 am

12 days is doable without pushing it too hard. Less than 10 will involve some long days. I did the whole way in 2018 and took 14 days. But that involved some short days too.
My trip report from then can be found at viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27612&hilit=+Great+North

There is some useful info there about water which is probably still current.

I did a food resupply at Yarramalong which is about the halfway point. You can also pick up basic supplies at the Somersby Store and at the Heaton Gap servo.
DavidB
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ribuck » Sun 24 May, 2020 5:43 pm

I reckon if you were doing it in 9 days, you could consider doing it without a food drop. Although the shops along the way don't sell lightweight bushwalking food, there are quite a lot of places where you can at least get a meal, which will reduce how many meals you need to carry: Thornleigh, Berowra Waters, Cowan, Brooklyn, Somersby, Yarramalong, Heaton Gap and Teralba.

I presume your preference for 9 days is due to wanting to take only one week off work. If you go north-to-south there are train connections at Brooklyn, Cowan and Thornleigh. If you find that you are going slower than expected, you can catch the train and come back the following weekend to complete the missing section. Going south-to-north the only train option is at Teralba.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to New South Wales & ACT