NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Re: Interesting side track on Cowan to Brooklyn section of G

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 7:14 am

you have a very colourful garden hose there David :wink:

(just kidding lol)

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:57 pm

Rob Gosford wrote:thanks for showing the photos Lindsay

ooooooops ! :shock: i thought snakes were asleep now.....

Yeah, so did I until this bloke appeared right in front of me. I paid a bit more attention after that.

Fri 19 Jul, 2013 1:34 pm

Great..I enjoy this time of year specifically because there is no snakes...damn

Mon 22 Jul, 2013 9:10 am

The short way into Taffys Rock track....

went to find the Campbells Crater track yesterday and found it. From the F3 Freeway, the track heads east 700 meters to the start of Taffys track on the GreatNorthWalk. The Campbells Crater track is fairly easy to follow heading east, with some ribbon and cairn markers, but i got lost for a second in the valley where the track peters out a bit.

you could have a car parked at Cowan and then get someone to drop you off at the southbound Emergency Breakdown Bay and CAREFULLY walk the final 150 meters southbound along the edge of the Freeway to enter the scrub onto Campbells Crater track (as i have shown in the pictures). Explore Taffys track, returning to Cowan after.

standing on the Campbells Crater track, where it starts at the F3

start of Campbells Crater track opposite this RTA (RMS) road sign - love the PORSCHE !

part of the track

where the Campbells Crater track joins the GNW, with the start of Taffys Track behind that sign

view from the first rockledge on Taffys Rock track - about 11 minutes into the walk.
this is the first Lookout shown on the map in post #1. Returned to Cowan after this.

getting to the start of Taffys Rock track this way (instead of Cowan) would save a LOT of time and walking distance

:D

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 12:46 pm

I checked this out myself this morning. Beautiful cool crisp and clear morning. Parked at Cowan Stn. and went from there. It was low tide when I went through Jerusalem Bay. Only one boat out in the bay, a tinnie with two guys fishing. Then up steeply to the sign shown in the photo above which says: "Brooklyn Dam, Jerusalem Bay." Noted the Campbell's Crater Track heading west from here but took the Taffy's rock track which starts right behind the sign. After a short way the track opens up a bit and it looks as if it has recently been cleared. this lasts as far as the lookout to the south east over Cowan Water. Rob has a great shot of it in his post. From there it was out to the first cairn which unlike the second still has its post although the disc has fallen off and is sitting atop the cairn which is about 5 feet high.

From there the track leads to a large tessellated rock outcrop which I at first thought was Taffy's Rock. The track just crosses over the right hand shoulder of it but it is worth clambering to the top for the view. From here continue out to the 2nd cairn which is identical to the first except that it has no post or disc. From here it is only about 15 mins out to Taffy's Rock. The approach is made over a high sedge and then up onto the rock shelf itself which is very large. It takes about an hour to get here from the turn off at the GNW.

Great views out past Lion Island to the ocean. Lindsay has a good shot of the view. the plaque is not large and does take some finding. It is not on the top but on the eastern side. Perhaps where it will catch the first light of day? It a third of the way down the rock and is not easy to inspect because of its location. It is also not very large, only about 10"x12".

Once perched on the rock edge one can see how well preserved it is and the inscription is quite clear. It was erected by the members of the Rucksack Club. (anyone heard of them?) I read elsewhere that Dorothy died after being bitten by a snake near Old Pelion Hut in Tassie. It is a lovely tribute to their club mate and friend.

I really enjoyed this walk and the views. I would never have known about it if it wasn't for this forum.

K.

Sat 27 Jul, 2013 1:10 pm

To answer my own question I googled the Rucksack Club of Sydney and uncovered some interesting information. It was one of the early walking clubs formed between the wars. Unlike many it survived WW11 but apparently not the new age of walking in the '60's. Looks to have folded in the late '60's and I notice that many of its records including some of its photo albums are held in the Mitchell Library. Now that would be an interesting way to spend a wet winters afternoon?

K.

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 2:27 pm

Fantastic. Wonderful report mate !
But geeeeez you must have been moving at a quick pace along the way lol.
Might try the track right out to Taffys Rock one day soon. yes some interesting history involved there.

you know, that's what bushwalking is all about >>>>>> the adventure in exploring a track and the delights that Mother Nature throws up along the way.

:)

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:15 pm

kanangra wrote:To answer my own question I googled the Rucksack Club of Sydney and uncovered some interesting information.

In its day, the Rucksack Club was one of the stronger clubs in Sydney. I don't think it was ever a very large club though. My parents were members of the Rucksack Club in the late 40's - early 50's (they met on a club walk). I have a few copies of the club magazine "Rucksack Ramblings" from that era. I know the club had a favourite campsite on the Woronora River that is known as "Kingdom Come" (at the Boobera Pool) - you can still see an old sign nailed to a tree by one of the members from the 1950's.

Dave

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 7:52 am

Thanks Dave. Very interesting. The club's old photograph album held by the Mitchell Library might hold more than historical interest for you. Apparantly it can be made available for inspection upon request. From the years when your parents were active in the club it is quite possible that they knew Dorothy Townson aka Taffy?

K.

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 8:58 am

DaveNoble wrote:I know the club had a favourite campsite on the Woronora River that is known as "Kingdom Come" (at the Boobera Pool) - you can still see an old sign nailed to a tree by one of the members from the 1950's.

Dave

I've been there twice and most recently we camped there. Great spot. Even better now to know a bit more about the history of the area.

Whilst we were there a local guy, that has taken a liking to the area, turned up. He has been cleaning up the track and maintaining the area around the fire pit.
DSC08295.jpg

DSC08296.jpg

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 10:58 am

what an interesting thread this has become.........

our "Taffy" Dorothy lives on ! :D

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 11:27 am

michael_p wrote:I've been there twice and most recently we camped there.

Is there any restrictions on where you are allowed to camp in that area?

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 4:55 pm

Rob Gosford wrote:what an interesting thread this has become.........

I agree. All this information should now make finding Taffys a breeze.

I meant to post this earlier. I believe that the Taffys Rock walk is in the 4th edition of the NPA's Bushwalks of the Sydney Region Vol2. If somebody has a copy could they check if it is in this edition.

GPSGuided wrote:
michael_p wrote:I've been there twice and most recently we camped there.

Is there any restrictions on where you are allowed to camp in that area?

Kingdom Come (KC) is just on the Holsworthy side of the Woronora River not the Heathcote National Park side. Camping at KC is at your own discretion. People have been camping there for a very long time and I've never heard of any problems, also, not a lot of people know where it is. The only reason I knew about it was a mate showed me and he learnt about it from another bushwalker. It makes a good out and back day walk from Waterfall, you can do it as a side excursion from the Bullawaring Track or the Pipeline Road.

Cheers,
Michael.

Tue 30 Jul, 2013 5:53 pm

kanangra wrote:Thanks Dave. Very interesting. The club's old photograph album held by the Mitchell Library might hold more than historical interest for you. Apparantly it can be made available for inspection upon request. From the years when your parents were active in the club it is quite possible that they knew Dorothy Townson aka Taffy?

K.

I don't think they did. My mother might (and I will ask her if she remembers) - she did an Overland Track trip - I think in the late 40's with Rucksack Club people. I do recall some old SUBW walers talking about the Tassie trip where a girl died of snakebite - I think SUBW walkers were on that trip along with Rucksack Club walkers.

Kingdom Come - My blog entry about a recent trip there and information about the signs -

http://www.david-noble.net/blog/?p=3430

When I was there with my parents (mid 60's?) - the whole area around the pool seemed a lot more open. Now there are lots of reeds and fringing scrub. The campsite is still pretty good, and the track there is very easy to find and follow.

Dave

Fri 02 Aug, 2013 10:53 am

I went out there this morning looking for the camp site but didn't find it. First of all I went down to the campsite by Lake Eccersley. Very pleasant but that obviously wasn't it. Then I went down to the old Eccersley Ford. Not much left of it just some concrete slabs. The track which is quite overgrown continues on the other side but two big army signs deterred further exploration. I then returned to the pipeline track and followed it up to the junction 2km short of the Woronora Dam Rd. I turned around here and went out via Mirang Rd. I suspect I needed to turn right here and follow the track down to the river to find Kingdom Come? Am I on the right track. :?:

K

Sun 04 Aug, 2013 9:44 pm

Taffys Rock is a nice day walk. Start at Cowan on the Great North Walk, down to Jeruselum bay and then up to the top of the ridge. Right where there is an NPWS sign the two side tracks start. Take the right hand one. Pass the two large cairns, Cole and Edwards, and keep going to what some call mackeral rock but Sue and I call 'the machine gun emplacement'. You'll see why when you get inside it.

Then continue on to Taffys Rock. The plaque is half-way up the side from the base on the N/E side, about 50 m along? I managed to get photos, but I had to abseil down to get them! A relatively vandal-proof position.

After that, head NW along the side ridge to taffys Lookout - it's right at the end, further than shown on the topo map. Open rocky ridge, quite nice.

From here you can retrace, or you can head across the valley to the machine gun ridge. Some interesting rock on the way down, steep on the way up. Getting off the knoll back to the machine gun rock is tricky: there is one spot where you can get down. The rest are small cliffs. We are happy to drink the water in the creek in the valley.

Cheers
PS: nice diamond python.

Sun 04 Aug, 2013 9:51 pm

Anyone tried to get down to Fishermans Beach to the Sth-East of Taffys Rock? I wonder if it's doable? Just 600m away.

Tue 06 Aug, 2013 10:02 pm

I have been to Taffy's Rock, often, it's a lovely walk. The plaque is hard to find, look on the eastern side of the rock, it is fixed to the near vertical face. It is easier to find if you drop down one level of rock and look, but then you need to look up, as it is above head height from the lower level. The first time we went there it took us about 30 mins to find it (we had some written directions, which were a bit vague).
There is not much of a track out to Cliff Trig (further to the east), but it is worth all the scrub bashing and scratches. Last time I was there (June 2012), the log book had disappeared and there were only loose sheets of paper in the tin.

Tue 06 Aug, 2013 10:13 pm

Just referenced it on the Cowan 25k topo and Taffys Rock track is not marked on the map. Any good reason?

Wed 07 Aug, 2013 8:02 am

GPSGuided wrote:Just referenced it on the Cowan 25k topo and Taffys Rock track is not marked on the map. Any good reason?

Maybe it is not an official name just something that has come about because of the plaque.

EDIT: Sorry I take that back: http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/place_naming/placename_search/extract?id=TRlpFxtLan. Don't know why it is not on the map. :)

Wed 07 Aug, 2013 8:15 am

michael_p wrote:Maybe it is not an official name just something that has come about because of the plaque.
EDIT: Sorry I take that back: http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/place_naming/placename_search/extract?id=TRlpFxtLan. Don't know why it is not on the map. :)

Curious isn't it? Whilst I can understand the various reasons why any particular track misses their listing on Ku-Ring-Gai NP's official walking tracks page, but it makes no sense for the map makers to miss them, especially for something as old as this. I also note in the RNP, a track from Karloo pool up along Kangaroo Creek is not mapped. Are they playing hide and seek with us walkers? :mrgreen:

Wed 07 Aug, 2013 10:43 am

Hi all, I just posted a question about this walk, then I stumbled across this thread, so I though I would have more luck here .I'm doing this walk soon, a while ago I was told,when you get to Brooklyn dam,u can circumnavigate the dam and somewhere along, there is a tunnel with remnants of a railway track, I was quite intrigued with this information, so could someone tell me if this info is correct and if u could give me a more of an accurate location to where this tunnel might be?,thanks.
Joe.

Sat 07 Sep, 2013 5:29 pm

We went for a run out to the rock today - 30+ degrees by the time we finished! It's a magnificent route, but it's not a runnable track and quite overgrown - lots of scratches. First there's a lookout a short distance after leaving GNW before dropping down eventually to the first large cairn. We then missed a turn up to the large rocky area, but managed to find the turn after realising we'd gone wrong. The rocky area is amazing, with beautiful rock formations. On to the next cairn and then finally out to the large open rock section where the plaque is.

It took as long to get from GNW to the rock as it did from Brooklyn to the turn off, but well worth the effort. The view is rather special - there were a couple of fires in the distance, one near Berowra and the other in the area to the north of the Bahai temple near Terry Hills. Fantastic visibility.

You can see our run here - http://www.movescount.com/moves/move18258117

The plaque is on the east side and half way down a rock face, so not obvious.

IMG_4337.jpg
Plaque at Taffy's rock

PANO_20130907_101147.jpg
View from the first rock

Mon 16 Sep, 2013 9:48 am

A Rock too far!

Brought my family along on this walk yesterday. What a fantastic route that was! It had everything and really kept my Mr13 entertained. We started from Cowan station and unfortunately the going was a bit tough for my wife and we had to take it easier. Managed to reach 'Top of the World' and had to turn back in view of the available sunlight time. But what a spot that was! Taffys Rock was beaming at me around a km away. Next time. The wild flowers at this time of the year was just fantastic!

Taffys Rock in the distance from 'Top of the World' - Just to the left of the photo in the distance.

And the wild flowers and fruits.

Last edited by GPSGuided on Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:19 am

glad you went out there mate......it really is a wonderful day walk with nice views :D
As you did, i only made it to the "Top Of The World" last month, so next winter i'll go the whole hog. Saw one or two spiders....so arachnaphobic pussy here, turned back :lol: It IS a strenuous climb first up from Jerusalen Bay if you start at Cowan, so i came in from F3 along Campbells Crater track and had my car waiting at Cowan on way back.......a LOT easier overall, but running across the F3 at the start was risky business :shock: Heading east along Taffys Rock track, there is a a wonderful feeling of remoteness. Your flower photo is a native Boronia (i think).

http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/gnp4/boronia-pinnata.html

8)

Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks for putting a name on the Boronia. I am hopeless on the botanical front and I count on the experts here for their label. I can certainly see why it's an advantage to cut through from Campbells Crater track, that climb out of Jerusalem Bay really got my wife huffing and puffing, calling for stops. But the variety of terrain on the route was so interesting for all. I would not dare to run across the F3 though. I too loved that entry into Taffys Rock track. It's like Alice entering Wonderland through that narrow and unmarked opening. Unreal! In the meantime, will need to train up members of the family and tackle it again in the future. Breaking for lunch with the family at the 'Top of the World' was unreal. Along the track, we only crossed one person on the return leg. I wondered if he is a member of this forum. A few spider webs here and there on the way in but no arachnid infestation yesterday. All good.

Mon 16 Sep, 2013 9:55 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Thanks for putting a name on the Boronia. I am hopeless on the botanical front and I count on the experts here for their label.

same here mate.....not a green thumber. just mowing the lawn successfully is an achievement :lol:

GPSGuided wrote:that climb out of Jerusalem Bay really got my wife huffing and puffing, calling for stops.

is she or was she a smoker ? if so, i can understand your wife's huffing and puffing. Here, i smoked for 30 years but stopped 4 years ago. Ascending Govett Ridge from Jerusalem Bay i double over many times gasping for breath, BUT have a Ventolin puffer at the ready, and stop and rest quite often. Wish i'd never smoked ! :cry:

GPSGuided wrote:Breaking for lunch with the family at the 'Top of the World' was unreal. Along the track, we only crossed one person on the return leg..

yes "Top Of The World" is a great spot to open up the sandwich box. Great views from there. How about all that scratchy overgrown vegetation !!........I'll wear a long sleeved shirt next time ! that person on your return leg may have been Kanangra. no ? :wink:

happy trails......
8)

Fri 08 Nov, 2013 12:02 pm

Sorry Rob, completely missed your reply until just now.

Rob Gosford wrote:is she or was she a smoker ? if so, i can understand your wife's huffing and puffing. Here, i smoked for 30 years but stopped 4 years ago. Ascending Govett Ridge from Jerusalem Bay i double over many times gasping for breath, BUT have a Ventolin puffer at the ready, and stop and rest quite often. Wish i'd never smoked ! :cry:

No, she has never smoked nor suffers from any respiratory ailments. She is just not as fit, hence the reason for bringing her out more.
yes "Top Of The World" is a great spot to open up the sandwich box. Great views from there. How about all that scratchy overgrown vegetation !!........I'll wear a long sleeved shirt next time ! that person on your return leg may have been Kanangra. no ? :wink:

The final climb up to Top of the World was ok but coming back down from the rocky outcrop was a bit of a challenge. I couldn't see how we came up and effectively just dropped back into the bush, pushing through all that tough scrub. I did have the foresight to arm the family up with long sleeve, pants and gaiters on the day and avoided a domestic incrimination session later. They all loved the spot and the walk! It was superb.

Sat 09 Nov, 2013 10:47 am

Is it a diamond python? (lol)
Here is the news article explaining what happened to Taffy (Jan/1948)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/1889107

Sat 09 Nov, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks Nuts and a good find! Apart from the main article, I note there's also an editorial on page 3 on the preparedness of walkers in the Tasmania bush.
Post a reply