Basin Campsite to Watagan Creek Road NSW Great North Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Basin Campsite to Watagan Creek Road NSW Great North Walk

Postby TakeStepPT » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 6:49 am

Hi all,

I am planning a walk this weekend with my son one way from Basin Campsite to Watagan Creek Road camping out over night.

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... -road.html

This is the first time doing this section of the Great North Walk. Apart from the notes attached has anyone got any particular experiences that they would like to share that we should be on the lookout for good/bad/indifferent. :)

Kind Regards

Peter & Zak
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Basin Campsite to Watagan Creek Road NSW Great North Wal

Postby forest » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 8:13 am

I don't recall anything of substance other than the very steep, loose gravelled 4x4 track (unused by 4x4's anymore) dropping down to Watagan Creek.
And the 2 guys trying to run up it on a training trail run.

There's some nice spots along that section. Enjoy.
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby colinm » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:26 am

Let's see ... there's a water tank at the Basin, but some fool had left the tap open when we were there. Water in the creek itself definitely needs filtering. Walk out of the Basin is pretty, but extremely dense with leeches. Make sure you get the right (labelled) exit out of the Basin valley to rejoin the GNW (there are two, IIRC, one entering from the south, one leaving to the north - we got the wrong one.) Fair bit of road bashing after that. Just before you get back onto the road to descend to Watagan Ck, there's a stunning high dry camp location, on a spur if I recall correctly, with gorgeous views. The descent is a seriously degraded steep along a 4x4, as forest mentioned ... I don't think a mere 4wd could do it any more, need a tracked vehicle :) Farms all along Watagan Ck, wouldn't trust the water without treatment (maybe even with.)

Time I went there, maybe 2 years ago, I saw more wildlife in one day than I've seen on any other day before or since (and not just leeches.)
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 6:53 pm

The first section is nice - I liked Wollombi Brook.
There are no reliable chances to fill your water bottle after Wollombi Brook.
the road slog is mostly through nice forest, but a bit - well - of a road slog
the side trip to Mt Warrawolong is not really worth the effort IMHO - but some people like the peak thing.
The campsite near the end is simple but nice.
No mobile phone reception (sometimes get a bit of signal at highpoints - but not reliable - and none at each end)

The roads into the Basin can get a bit rough and slippery. The drive to the Watagan creek road trackhead seems to take forever but is a pleasant enough drive through a farming valley, and a bit of dirt.

Happy walking

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby TakeStepPT » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 7:08 pm

forest wrote:I don't recall anything of substance other than the very steep, loose gravelled 4x4 track (unused by 4x4's anymore) dropping down to Watagan Creek.
And the 2 guys trying to run up it on a training trail run.

There's some nice spots along that section. Enjoy.

Thanks for the heads up :)
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby TakeStepPT » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 7:11 pm

wildwalks wrote:The first section is nice - I liked Wollombi Brook.
There are no reliable chances to fill your water bottle after Wollombi Brook.
the road slog is mostly through nice forest, but a bit - well - of a road slog
the side trip to Mt Warrawolong is not really worth the effort IMHO - but some people like the peak thing.
The campsite near the end is simple but nice.
No mobile phone reception (sometimes get a bit of signal at highpoints - but not reliable - and none at each end)

The roads into the Basin can get a bit rough and slippery. The drive to the Watagan creek road trackhead seems to take forever but is a pleasant enough drive through a farming valley, and a bit of dirt.

Happy walking

Matt :)

Awesome, thanks for the tips again Matt. :)
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby TakeStepPT » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 7:14 pm

colinm wrote:Let's see ... there's a water tank at the Basin, but some fool had left the tap open when we were there. Water in the creek itself definitely needs filtering. Walk out of the Basin is pretty, but extremely dense with leeches. Make sure you get the right (labelled) exit out of the Basin valley to rejoin the GNW (there are two, IIRC, one entering from the south, one leaving to the north - we got the wrong one.) Fair bit of road bashing after that. Just before you get back onto the road to descend to Watagan Ck, there's a stunning high dry camp location, on a spur if I recall correctly, with gorgeous views. The descent is a seriously degraded steep along a 4x4, as forest mentioned ... I don't think a mere 4wd could do it any more, need a tracked vehicle :) Farms all along Watagan Ck, wouldn't trust the water without treatment (maybe even with.)

Time I went there, maybe 2 years ago, I saw more wildlife in one day than I've seen on any other day before or since (and not just leeches.)

This sounds right up my alley colinm. Thanks for the tips. I have a filter and water treatment with me. Will be staying overnight half way and my boy little legs will need a rest. I am a bit concerned for my wife though driving in to Watagan's creek to pick us up. She can be a bit nervy on the dirt roads. I might do a trip down there from Newcastle to check the road out on each end before this Friday.

Pete
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby colinm » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 11:33 pm

The road along Watagan Ck is fine - it's a farmer's road, flat-as, and pretty heavily used. The roads to the Basin have a little more gradient, but are forestry roads, and were perfectly 2WD-able, and quite well maintained. Caveat: as mentioned, I was there two years ago, or more.

As to camping half way, I don't know. IIRC you come out of the Basin then slowly up along roads, then dip down into a fairly muggy creek valley (sluggish water, not much good, I wouldn't drink it,) then it's a long slog up to a peak, Kangaroo Pt Rd is a *&%$#! killer in summer. I don't think there's any more creek water until you get to Watagan Ck, as Matt said. I guess there might be soaks, I don't know.

The dry camp I mentioned is right toward the end of the hike, within a couple of km at least. ISTR you come north or NE along a spur just before the peak, and can see it in front of you. Pretty soon after, you're back on the road, which then goes around the peak and dives down through ankle-breaking erosion. I think it's the Flora Reserve Ridge Rest Area I'm thinking of http://www.wildwalks.com/i.html?image_id=59276 looked like a nice place to camp, but I don't know about the proprieties of doing so, and as mentioned it's right near the end.

The Watagan Ck campsite is nice enough, not as pretty. I reckon I'd plan to camp there, and have the missus meet me with some beer, or do a libations/water drop on your reccie :)
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bron » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 1:35 pm

The road into the Watagan ck trailhead is 2wd if you go in from Laguna - it is used by all the local farmers. I would only go in via Watagan Forest road if you have a good 4wd - ie not a Subaru - parts of the road are very rough. A friend drove in this way last year and complained afterwards he had to spend $1000 fixing his Subaru stationwagon.
If you want to climb Mt Warrawolong its easier to go straight up the ridge rather than following the firetrail up and down which can be a real drag. There are no views from the top of Mt Warrawolong although there is a nice fire tower...
There is some nice camping on the ridges on the north side below the fire trail.

Look out for Platypus when you get to Wollombi Brook. We also saw a whole bunch of puppies when I was there in August last year.

I will be walking up in the area this Saturday - if you see a bunch of 4wds parked at the Watagan Ck rd trailhead, that will be us!

regards
Bron
Bron
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby TakeStepPT » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 8:32 pm

Bron wrote:
I will be walking up in the area this Saturday - if you see a bunch of 4wds parked at the Watagan Ck rd trailhead, that will be us!

regards
Bron

Thanks Bron, I will keep an eye out :)
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby TakeStepPT » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 8:47 pm

Ok, went for a drive today out to Basin Campsite and found what I think is the start of the walk with two broken Great North Walk sign posts. I am guessing this is the start of the walk? I did see a small foot bridge down the bottom near the creek with a path too but no Great North Walk sign posts down there.

Any help appreciated.

DSC00004.jpg
View of two broken sign posts from distance - Basin Campsite

DSC00005.jpg
View of two broken sign posts closer - Basin Campsite

DSC00006.jpg
Basin Campsite Car-park
TakeStepPT
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby davidmorr » Sat 03 Aug, 2013 1:52 am

If I recall correctly, and it has been years since I did this, you cross the creek and follow an old road uphill to the north. The road was getting a bit overgrown, but the cuttings into the hillside were quite distinct. After a relatively short distance, it opens out onto a more-trafficked track and carries on.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matthewgoodyear » Wed 09 Mar, 2016 1:27 pm

im trying to find this on google maps..but i cant get directions.
i went to the old onley camping site the other day and in my 2wd triton it took me ages along Watagan Forest Rd..driving 10km vecause any faster and i was loosing traction.
i want to drive to the basin campsite, drop some water, then leave my car at watagan creek road....then walk to the basin, camp, walk back again.
matthewgoodyear
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Paulnutbutter » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 9:18 pm

I did this walk last week, was great but full of leeches. I also started off too late and it was quite wet most of the day so I only made it to Mt Warawolong campsite. The next day when I went to do the return trail it said it was closed (for seasonal harvesting?) so I took the fire trail all the way back. I'll be back to do the whole trip again in a month or so (if it's open).

@matthewgoodyear you can get the Basin Campsite GPS coordinates from the wildwalks website here: http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... ey.html#tn I think it's under the 'getting there' section. There's signs too when you get close.
Paulnutbutter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT