Goodradigbee River Packrafting?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Goodradigbee River Packrafting?

Postby kanangra » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 10:13 am

As I completed my three wilderness areas walk on Saturday I descended the McLeods Ridge trail. After a long descent off Mt Jackson and Circuits Mt it crosses the Goodradigbee River. At this point the river was running swiftly through a narrow gorge and was about 50m wide. As a precaution I cut a staff which was just as well as more than once I was nearly swept off my feet as the water was waist deep in parts and running very quickly.

At this point the river runs through a steep gorge and travel on the banks would be very difficult and impractical. From here the river still has a good 5ks to run before emerging out into the cleared and gentler country of the Brindabella valley. To me it seemed like ideal pack rafting country. I was wondering if anyone had done it? Perhaps the river is not usually that high? Perhaps with the recent rain and snow melt it was running higher than usual?

From that point the trail climbs high and away from the river before crossing it again at the park boundary. (There is a KNP sign there) The trail then crosses the river three more times before emerging into the clear at the first property. (Although the 3rd and 4th crossings can be avoided by following a track on the true left bank.)

By walking up valley with your pack raft on this trail you could have an excellent run down to the car of at least 5 ks. Most of it through a steep rugged gorge which I would say is rarely visited. Worth a thought?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Goodradigbee River Packrafting?

Postby ninjapuppet » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 1:16 pm

I have rafted small sections of this river, but only to get to where I wanted to go for fly fishing.

I parked at the end of Mt franklin rd and down Harry's spur track and bash my way down through the thick regrowth for 2km to the river. then go fishing upstream and raft back. The 3km section I did upstream from there was pretty easy grade 1 and 2 so it's perfect for newbies.

Seems like untouched country there. So much fish!!! It's also perfect for newbie fishermen like me with no skills as even I can catch some serious numbers. so many snakes there in summer when I went
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby kanangra » Mon 26 Aug, 2013 1:19 pm

That's interesting. That route down Harry's spur is the only one marked between where I crossed and the Cave Ck junction. I wonder if the river has ever been paddled between there and Brindabella? I would have my doubts. Now that would be an adventure?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tony » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 7:33 am

Hi kanangra,

I have waded a fair bit of the Goodradigbee River from McLeods Ridge trail to Dunns Flat, but have not waded below where McLeods Ridge trail crosses, up stream there are a few gorges that we could not wade through and were very difficult to get around as the scrub and Blackberries were very thick, when the water is low, it would be very difficult to raft in places. There is a very pretty waterfall just below Dunns flat.

Last time we visited the Goodradigbee River, we dropped off the western side of Mt Franklin, it took us 4 hours to travel the 3 k or so down to the river, we camped on McLeods Ridge trail and caught around 50 small trout (each) in an afternoon, the trip back up to the car was another adventure.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby kanangra » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 8:48 am

Thanks for that Tony. I think I might have to take a trip into Dunns Flat some time and check it out.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby SteveJ » Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:44 am

K,

I am pretty sure it has been rafted by a well know Canberra kayaker/packrafter (not sure I should name him but most packrafters will know who I am talking about.). In my pre Alpacka packrafting days I walked in from Blue water holes and fished and lilo'd much of the top section (which was pretty skinny at the time) and also rafted the lower section in the 1980's in my rubber duck (early version of a packraft that weighed 6 kg's!!). We had actually planned to do Blue Water Hole to Bridabella this summer if the water levels allow.

Mr Ninja, I did not know you were a flyfisherman as well! We may need to start a flyfishing packrafters special intrest group :-).

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:46 am

Steve,

I will be very interested to hear how you go. The water was really racing through the lower valley when I went through there on the weekend.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby SteveJ » Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:53 am

Yer, from Brindy to Flea Creek contains lots of grade 3 and 4, stepping up after good rain but the top section is pretty tame, I am guessing regrowth would make walking a pain but the Packrafts open up a lot of routes and possabilities (they are such great toys).

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby fatboyboy » Mon 02 May, 2016 4:55 pm

I wrote a description about following this river from the confluence at Clark Gorge (Blue Waterholes) down to Brindabella Station but the report does not seem to have been saved by the website. Anyway, I will write it again in brief for anyone wanting some info on this hike. Timings were:
day 1: drive to junction of Blue Waterholes fire trail turnoff and sleep at campsite
day 2: 7 am start, follow Clark Gorge to confluence with Goodradigbee River- got out after first deep pool after the waterfall and chose to bash up above the gorge- too cold to stay in the water which needed to be swam through. Both sides of the gorge lead down to the confluence without cliffs/ledges being a problem. About three hours to confluence. G river is about 3m wide here, no banks, limestone flanks, some caves which would allow sleeping in. By 3pm rocky outcrops make it easier to find a place to sleep out of the water. Water mostly knee height but some deep pools. 6pm stop.
day3: 7am start, river widening to about 5m, hit waterfall at end of Harry's Spur at around 2pm. Scrub bashed around waterfall on the east bank. Thick scrub, very tight spaces along fairly high ledges. Deep pools after waterfall involve brief swimming/chest height water. Camped around 4pm. No sign of any paths leading to this area anymore.
day4: 7am start. Hit another problem area- long slide into deep pool with big log jam at end. Bashed around, similar difficulty to bashing around waterfall. This area is probably around 3/4 of a km from waterfall. River beginning to develop usable banks shortly after this pool, makes going easier but banks are still short lived. River widening to about 7m. Still some deep poles up to chest height- one or two brief swims. Crossed McLeods Fire Trail around 2pm- leads to Brindabella Station when followed east for about 1/2 a km. Continued about 1/4 of a km further along G river. Crossed a tributary on the west bank which I remember reading a report about from John Evans. This tributary also has a nice deep gorge. Following G river for another 1/4 of a km, got hit by another gorge which for me involved 100% commitment situation due to drop above head height into gorge that I may not be able to pull myself back up. Waterfall visible at the end of this gorge but cant assess height without going further. Started following McLeods fire trail. Camp 7pm.
day5: Followed McLeods fire trail back to car, long steep walk, steep rise over Mt Jackson, followed by six more steep rises before a long long descent down to Long Plain. I probably did it about four hours faster when I first came this way on a bike but dragging a bike up here is much harder work- only really helps on long final descent. Got back to car around 9pm.

Hiking poles / ski poles 100% essential, full ankle support hiking boots essential (not river shoes/climbing shoes/wet suit boots etc bottom is too rocky). Took a pack raft but didnt attempt to use it, water is not really deep enough for long enough, if there was more water in the gorge it would be too dangerous- because there are no banks there is almost no where to scout from. River is very beautiful but obviously very remote and to do it without an epirb is not a very good idea.
fatboyboy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT