The Pipeline Track

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: The Pipeline Track

Postby ribuck » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 8:50 am

cnschulz and Warin, I think you are actually in agreement. Warin's OSM edits haven't yet been rendered on the map unless you zoom in to at least level 17. It sometimes takes a day or two to show fully.

If I'm understanding you correctly, cnschulz, the purple line that you posted does not have any private property issues. As Warin's route is east of your purple line, his route is just "walking through the national park".

On top of that, we do get that the designated track is closed, but that's a separate issue.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby LeftRightShoot » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 9:06 am

Thats great. The only edits I was seeing were to the NW, directly through the property
LeftRightShoot
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 2:07 pm

I have added some more tags to the OSM data .. 'noexit'. Will have to wait and see if they make any visible difference.

Further east there is the junction of Canobla Avenue and Capertee River Trail - within the National Park, walking off the Pipeline track through the National Park to that junction then back to Glen Davis along the Capertee River Trail would avoid any private property issues. So it should be possible to walk most of the Pipeline Trail and then on the northern bit walk off track - east and then back west.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Grabeach » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 5:41 am

Reading the NPWS web site, one could be forgiven for concluding the entire track is closed. Or is this just what they want you to think .... ?

On a general basis, what does 'closure' of a track actually mean? Could one walk a whole track one metre to the side of it? Ten metres? Hundred metres? Kilometre?
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LachlanB » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:12 pm

Hmm. My understanding of the NPWS notice was that you could still walk the Pipeline Track, just not the section that's private property. So going from Newnes to the private property and turning around would be ok, as would detouring through the bush in the National Park be. But that could be wrong?

Cnschultz, I'm curious about your campsites. Are they on actual private land, or in a national park?
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Warin » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:30 am

LachlanB wrote: So going from Newnes to the private property and turning around would be ok,

That appears to be what many people are doing on Strava. There are a few (3?) that proceed through the private properties though.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rodb2013 » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 9:45 pm

Used PLT in mid Nov to link Wolgan back to Capertee. There are no signs anywhere saying it's closed. We passed a couple from the Emirates resort that do it regularly Newnes to GD and back as trail running.
rodb2013
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby Allchin09 » Fri 15 Apr, 2022 1:05 am

A bit of a late update, but it appears that NPWS has acquired the land in contention and added it to the park, based on the avaiable mapping data anyway.

I also can no longer see any closure alert on the NPWS website for the track. Has anyone heard anything else offical?

See attached screenshot
Attachments
pipeline-track-addition.jpg
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby Warin » Fri 15 Apr, 2022 10:53 am

Hi,
I have updated the OSM data with the new National Park boundary and so the deletions of access restrictions etc ... will take a while to permeate through to maps.

Note: The northern most exit https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/53975 ... /150.27659 is questionable. There a zoning/easement shown on the DCS Base Map for the extension of Tooral St southwards (Tooral St forms a straight line). The path shown is some 30 meters east of the easement at the boundary of the National Park, so still through private property... for the pedantic.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT