Camping Bouddi NP - Tallow Beach

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Camping Bouddi NP - Tallow Beach

Postby Ally » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm thinking of camping for a night or two in Bouddi NP, specifically Tallow Beach camping ground.

Just wondering if anyone has camped there previously and if there are any problems with noise from other campers (i.e. does it attract noisy/drinking campers) or is it quiet? I want to take a child so need to make sure it is a safe environment.

I know that there is a camping fee and a maximum six sites. Does a NP pass for the car have to be purchased as well?

Thanks for your help :-)

Ally
Ally
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Camping Bouddi NP - Tallow Beach

Postby perfectlydark » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 8:08 am

Hi, you will need a car pass for bouddi, as for tallow I havnt stayed there but if there is a walk involved it might be ok. I stayed at putty beach this time last year and it was deserted, but in summer its like sardines in a can...yuck.
Being cooler weather it might be ok.for you
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Ally » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 11:18 am

Hi, thanks for your reply, how do I get a car pass? Would I need an annual pass or can shorter term passes be bought?
Ally
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey Ally,

I haven't gone through it all, but there's some useful stuff on the Parks website, including the pdf file you can click on to download from this page:

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx?id=N0005
There's some useful stuff on the main site - somewhere I think it said you only need the car pass for Putty Beach.

It's got the Gosford office number at the end - you could call for more info. I've found them pretty helpful in the past.

Cheers
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby perfectlydark » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 2:02 pm

The have ticket machines in bouddi to buy short term passes. About $7 a day
perfectlydark

Postby Ally » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, the NP website looks a bit ambiguous as to whether a day pass is required so I might call the NP office on the central coast next week.

So is the general thought that I'd be unlikely to encounter noisy/bogan campers down at tallow beach?
Ally
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Sat 06 Sep, 2014 10:12 pm

I think it's a bit of a tough call, being so close to civilisation. I'm probably swayed by a couple of less pleasant experiences (though nothing bad actually happened) within 5 crow kms of there. (Edit - in the last 3 months) I reckon the local parks office would have a reasonable idea, based on feedback and type of rubbish left behind. It's a bummer that we even have to consider the question. :(
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ally » Sun 07 Sep, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks again Tortoise, looks like a call to the NP office is definitely going to be worthwhile.

I'm open to options as to locations for this camping trip. I normally do much longer walk in bush camping (Barrington Tops mostly) but I'm going to have a child with me this time so the walk in is going to have to be limited to an hour or two at the most. I want to go for only one night so an hour to an hour and a half's drive from Newcastle would be the furthest I'd want to go. Tallow Beach was the best that came to mind (though I was concerned about bogans) but as I said I'm open to suggestions.

Any suggestions as to a suitable camp site? Toilets would be preferable but probably not essential. Doesn't need to be near "civilisation". May even be worthy of a separate post.
Ally
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Sun 07 Sep, 2014 2:03 pm

yep, I reckon a separate post would be good - there might be a gem out there we haven't thought of. I'm afraid my own experience of NSW campsites is very old, having not lived here for decades. I've just been making the most of any opportunity to get into the bush as I'm staying here for a while.

I'm hoping the parks folk will have some good ideas.

It might be too far to drive, but I just remembered Meroo Campground on the Colo River. Iirc it used to be about a 2km flat walk from the car, though access may well have changed. that was my first walk with chronic fatigue - I had 3 sleeps on the way in! :lol:
Just be aware that people can arrive unexpectedly from upstream on lilos etc. :oops:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby narikki » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 1:32 pm

I went and stayed at tallow beach last year. We had two other groups there, one an young family and the other a group of teenagers (about 10 of them). They brought down a full kitchen setup (portable preparing table etc with its own tent). luckily for us they were not too loud and didn't bother us.

I think if you want to go tallow its a bit a luck of the draw.

hope that helps =D
narikki
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Kainas » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 2:55 pm

We were at Putty Beach campground (in Bouddhi) two weeks ago mid-week. We were the only campers, but the road was amusingly busy (including a coles delivery van that came roaring in at 8pm at night... It was a dead end road, with only a small carpark 50m from us, but the traffic was constant.. It made us wonder if it was a drug spot or something).

Having said that, lovely spot. It was very peaceful despite seeing more vehicles than we expected.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby thommus » Fri 13 Nov, 2015 2:16 am

narikki wrote:I went and stayed at tallow beach last year. We had two other groups there, one an young family and the other a group of teenagers (about 10 of them). They brought down a full kitchen setup (portable preparing table etc with its own tent). luckily for us they were not too loud and didn't bother us.

I think if you want to go tallow its a bit a luck of the draw.

hope that helps =D

Hi Narikki. Am thinking of booking Tallow Beach for sometime this Summer. How was your experience? What was the beach itself like - is it safe to swim for a capable-enough swimmer? How long was the walk to Pretty Beach? Any info you could provide would be much appreciated!
thommus
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT