Bruce's Walk since bushfires?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bruce's Walk since bushfires?

Postby skibug » Wed 17 Sep, 2014 11:53 am

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on doing Bruce's Walk - Wentworth Falls to Katoomba airfield - soon, and was wondering if anyone knows its current condition - especially regards any effect due to the bushfires last summer. I last did it about a year ago, and I understand it has some clambering and rough conditions in spots - has it changed at all since then?

Thanks,

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bruce's Walk since bushfires?

Postby jonnosan » Wed 17 Sep, 2014 2:00 pm

I have never done the section east of Mt Hay road.

With the remainder, the biggest issue arising from the bushfires last year is probably with the section that crosses Katoomba Creek (i.e. last section before the airfield). When you cross over the fire trail heading west, there has been a very wide track cut that starts off overlapping the Bruces Walk footpad, but actually takes you to the top of a cliff. My uninformed guess is that this was cut by RFS in order to facilitate pumping water out of the creek, or maybe they had temporary ladders there. Anyway you basically get to a big drop which AFAIK does not 'go' safely. If you hit that spot, admire the view then backtrack up the hill until you see the footpad branching off to the south.

The actual fires did not reach Katoomba, Leura or Wentworth Falls so apart from that, the track should be as you found it last year.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby skibug » Wed 17 Sep, 2014 2:28 pm

hey jonnosan,

Thanks for the useful and prompt reply - this forum is a chest of jewels! - sounds like, being aware of that wide track it's all still navigable. Just to clarify, do you mean the affected stretch is between the airfield and Katoomba creek, or between Katoomba creek and the fire trails to its east?

Thanks again,

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Fri 19 Sep, 2014 8:11 am

The affected section is east of Katoomba creek
jonnosan

Postby skibug » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 5:00 pm

Walked this section today, the cleared section is relatively minor - and in fact there used to be (more than a year ago) a "false lead" here caused by run off erosion from the fire trail, which enough people obviously followed to create half a track. It's now widened - but I doubt if they would have been planning to pump water from the creek, it's at least a 100 metre head - probably more for surveillance, or a year ago it was a small firebreak.

Skibug
skibug
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT