Barren Grounds NR - Drawing Room Rocks

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Barren Grounds NR - Drawing Room Rocks

Postby jrg » Thu 09 Oct, 2014 10:25 pm

I was interested in doing a longer walk in Barren Ground Nature Reserve out to Drawing Room Rocks, but starting from the picnic area rather than the usual starting point off Wattamolla Road. Is there a marked track all the way?
jrg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Barren Grounds NR - Drawing Room Rocks

Postby johnw » Fri 10 Oct, 2014 12:58 am

jrg wrote:I was interested in doing a longer walk in Barren Ground Nature Reserve out to Drawing Room Rocks, but starting from the picnic area rather than the usual starting point off Wattamolla Road. Is there a marked track all the way?

Yes (assuming nothing has changed). I haven't done it for many years but I remember it's a long-ish, easy plod of about 18-20km, out and back, all on management trails. Not much scenery variation except the view from the turnaround point on the escarpment. Lots of bird life.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lizzy » Fri 10 Oct, 2014 5:48 am

That's how I remember it too.....but it has been a few years
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Fri 10 Oct, 2014 9:19 am

Yes you can get through no problem. If you want to you can drop down into Brogers Ck in a couple of places.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 15 Oct, 2014 1:06 pm

kanangra wrote:Yes you can get through no problem. If you want to you can drop down into Brogers Ck in a couple of places.

K.

Brogers Ck might be a bit out of the way K, unless also visiting Flying Fox Pass?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jackhinde » Wed 15 Oct, 2014 6:30 pm

I seem to remember walking passed npws signage in the car park saying such a walk was not permitted...
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Wed 15 Oct, 2014 10:59 pm

From the NPWS web site:
"Kangaroo Ridge walk - 20km
Walking (medium difficulty, 8 hours)
This long return walk starts at the picnic area and wanders through open heathland to the edge of the Illawarra Escarpment. The views are fantastic. The trail does not go as far as Drawing Room Rocks - please don't continue past the end of the trail sign."

My 1986 2nd Ed. Kangaroo Valley 1:25000 shows the track stopping about 1/2 km short of DRR. Could have been the case about 1990 when I came up form the south as I don't remember the track proceding north of DRR, though I didn't look that hard. Seemed odd at the time that the tracks didn't meet up.

Would be interesting to know whether NPWS consider the 'missing section' environmentally sensitive or are they just worried about people getting lost.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnw » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 8:24 am

Grabeach wrote:From the NPWS web site:
"Kangaroo Ridge walk - 20km
Walking (medium difficulty, 8 hours)
This long return walk starts at the picnic area and wanders through open heathland to the edge of the Illawarra Escarpment. The views are fantastic. The trail does not go as far as Drawing Room Rocks - please don't continue past the end of the trail sign."

My 1986 2nd Ed. Kangaroo Valley 1:25000 shows the track stopping about 1/2 km short of DRR. Could have been the case about 1990 when I came up form the south as I don't remember the track proceding north of DRR, though I didn't look that hard. Seemed odd at the time that the tracks didn't meet up.

Would be interesting to know whether NPWS consider the 'missing section' environmentally sensitive or are they just worried about people getting lost.

Graeme, I also thought it odd that the Kangaroo Ridge walk stops short of Drawing Room Rocks. I haven't done the DRR walk from below but yes, I think there was an end of trail sign or something on Kangaroo Ridge.

Actually, my vague recollection is that they don't want people wandering off track anywhere in that area. It's been quite a few years since I was last there but that may be the signage that jackhinde is referring to; I can sort of remember something like that myself. Much of that area is an upland swamp with a number of sensitive plant species - I had a very quick look at the POM documents on the NPWS web site, which seem to confirm my thoughts. Although they do also discuss erosion issues.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby michael_p » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 9:24 am

I have a very vague recollection that this area is one of the last places that Ground Parrots exist and that is why they don't want anyone wandering around there. Then again, I could be wrong.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 12:33 pm

michael_p wrote:I have a very vague recollection that this area is one of the last places that Ground Parrots exist and that is why they don't want anyone wandering around there. Then again, I could be wrong.

Yes I believe that's correct Michael, although I haven't seen one. I would think potential damage to their habitat is one of the reasons. I know there is (was?) a field studies/research facility with some sort of accommodation. Pretty sure it's used by bird watching groups etc.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jackhinde » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 6:28 pm

The track is well trodden, so a lot of folk ignore the signage. I imagine the ground parrot hypothesis is correct for the closure. The ground parrots are quite an attraction for twitchers. I have flushed them by accident three times in budderoo np (but not at barren grounds), they wait till you almost step on them before taking wing. I daresay foxes, cats and lack of mosaic burning threaten them far more than the occasional walker.
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Scottie » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 6:13 pm

I love Drawing Room Rocks this is a shot of me there earlier this year.
Attachments
IMG_20160312_214023.jpg
Scottie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Hughmac » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 8:03 pm

If access is limited because of the ground parrot it is badly misguided, as they prefer low open heath and grassland, which is definitely not the vegetation you cross. The biggest threat to them at present, and the reason they have become so much rarer at Barren Grounds is a lack of mosaic burning - being a ground dwelling bird they actually thrive best in areas recovering from burning. The mature heath vegetation becomes too tall and thick for them. I actually raised this issue with a local NPWS ranger, who agreed with me, but said no-one in authority was willing to risk undertaking a controlled burn in the reserve.
Hughmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby iandsmith » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice shot, someone knows how to shoot a camera
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT