ACT overnight bushwalk - suggestions for small children

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

ACT overnight bushwalk - suggestions for small children

Postby odnuas » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello all,

I'm hoping some of you might be able to suggest a short overnight bushwalk I can take my two small children on. I would like to introduce them to overnight bushwalking and get them to carry a some of their gear (just to get them used to wearing a backpack). I would like to take them on a short walk of 3-5km to a spot where we can camp for the night. Would any of the ACT walkers on the forum have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

David
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: ACT overnight bushwalk - suggestions for small children

Postby Lizzy » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 6:04 am

Orroral Valley
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby The Perambulator » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi David,
If you could get someone to drop you off at Booroomba Rocks car park, you could walk along the trail to Honeysuckle Campground. About 4ks - no steep hills - generally travels through a forest of large gum trees -feels remote - part of the AAWT. The campground reminds me of Mcallister Springs in Vic, absolutely brilliant, gas BBQs, tank water and toilets but still has a remote feel about it. Can be noisy up to about 10 or so on some weekend nights but otherwise no probs. .
The Perambulator
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby WarrenH » Tue 04 Nov, 2014 3:19 am

How about at the ACT's Southern Border, walk to Westerman's Homestead (also known as Westermans No. 3 Hut) from Brayshaw's Hut and return the same way? About 4 klicks in total. Park at Brayshaw's Hut and head to Westermans. This walk links two of the three huts on the Settler's Track.

Brayshaws Homestead is the start of the walk along the Settlers Track. Normally the walk is nine kilometres, three and a half hour return walk via Waterhole Hut then Westerman's, along a marked trail. There is also a shorter 6 kilometre loop ... http://www.tams.act.gov.au/__data/asset ... -Track.pdf

The track is excellent and well maintained, it is easy walking and at both Brayshaw's and Westerman's there are water tanks and loos ... and Roos. And Eagles.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Tue 04 Nov, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Tue 04 Nov, 2014 7:40 am

From the Borroomba Rocks carpark you also could walk into Bushfold via the AAWT. No facilities, but a lovely quiet spot to camp.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT