Hannel's Spur - track access at the base?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hannel's Spur - track access at the base?

Postby Stew63 » Tue 04 Nov, 2014 9:56 pm

I've been thinking for some time now doing a walk up Hannel's Spur.

When you arrive and park at Swampy Plains Creek what exactly is the best way to access the trailhead of Hannel's Spur?
I was driving past today but unfortunately didn't have much time to stop and scout around and compare the map to the actual features.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Hannel's Spur - track access at the base?

Postby north-north-west » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 8:08 am

Either park in the Geehi Flats camping/day use area, cross the road and head towards the base of the spur through the open ground next to the creek or - and this is my personal preference - park at the Doctors Hut site and cross the creek, turn somewhat to the right, and head up. It's been a few years since I was there, but there used to be a sign at the base of the spur where the track started up. How easy it is to follow will depend on how much use it's had - it wasn't too bad on my only ascent but I've heard some horror stories since.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 9:24 am

PWS advised me recently that Hannels is scrubby.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Stew63 » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 10:08 am

Although it would be a 'tough gig' by PWS I reckon it's a shame that Hannel's is not cleared/maintained much better - I reckon it could be a great (but tough) little route - it could become like the Main Range Lakes circuit although shuttle transport would be needed for walkers from Thredbo. A combined transport/chairlift pass? Probably not for 'punters' though.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 10:42 am

It is a terrific route, and I've done it as a loop (unintentionally, thanks to the weather) by hitching a ride back out of Thredbo. Not easy country to maintain a track through - the treefalls are at least as much of an issue as the scrub, as the latter only tends to get nasty after a burn. When I did it the only point where the scrub overgrew the track was near Byatts, but the treefalls on the flat area below Moira's turned it into a jungle gym.

For a small group, a car shuffle would be best, for a single walker it's out and back or trusting in the kindness of strangers.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 11:29 am

I recently asked PWS about bushwalkers marking tracks:
"With the permission and guidance of PWS, such people could mark a track through areas that have rather heavy regrowth after fires or that need attention. The marking could be nothing more than taping trees and letting the foot traffic sort out the scrub. There seem to be two considerations. The first is that the track must be in the right place. The second is that on steep slopes there must or should be switchbacks to avoid erosion."

PWS advise:
"Yes I agree that a marked walking track to (Pretty Plain, from the Grey Mare range side) would be great and also a high priority for me is to get work done on Hannells Spur as it is almost impassable but I am afraid that funding for both these projects is unlikely at present."

PWS may be agreeable to bushwalkers marking Hannels. I suggest that you contact PWS.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Stew63 » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Lophophaps - how long ago was it that PWS gave you that advice/information regarding marking Hannel's?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 7:07 pm

Stew63, the advice is a few weeks old, from Khancoban PWS. I was seeking information about a trip in KNP. A number of fire trails have reverted to bush due to fire, wilderness zoning, lack of funds, lack of staff, competing priorities or a combination. With PWS permission I reckon there's a case for bushwalkers marking tracks. Unless the track is way out any track will be okay, as it can later be moved to improve the siting. The marked track makes access for this much easier and provides a handrail, a datum for reference.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby PiniPowPow » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 9:00 pm

i did some maintenance on the first section of the track last year. We cut back regrowth and flagged every 20m or so. Some pics, though none of me.

It is a shame it is not kept in better condition, it could really be one of the premier hikes in Australia.
PiniPowPow
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnf » Wed 05 Nov, 2014 9:57 pm

Would it be feasible to walk through to Thredbo as a day walk in its current condition?
johnf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Stew63 » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 6:32 am

PiniPowPow wrote:i did some maintenance on the first section of the track last year. We cut back regrowth and flagged every 20m or so. Some pics, though none of me.
It is a shame it is not kept in better condition, it could really be one of the premier hikes in Australia.

Thanks for the pics Pini. When you say the lower section do mean all the way up to Moiras?
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 11:43 am

johnf wrote:Would it be feasible to walk through to Thredbo as a day walk in its current condition?

How fast do you walk? Remember, there's an 1800m elevation gain as well as all the scrub and other obstacles.

There is another thread somewhere here on Hannels, a few years old now, from a group who did it as a daytrip - they were planning to go all the way to Charlotte's, I think, but ended up cutting it short.

Here we go: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3236&hilit=hannels
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stew63 » Thu 02 Mar, 2017 5:36 pm

johnf wrote:Would it be feasible to walk through to Thredbo as a day walk in its current condition?

Yes - I did it a few weeks ago but it's a really long day.

Departed Geehi at 6:20am arrived in Thredbo Village at 9:00pm.
If I was a bit fitter and didn't waste time going off track on Hannels several times I reckon I could have done Thredbo by 7:30pm.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT