3 day walks around Sydney

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

3 day walks around Sydney

Postby deratu » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 9:57 am

I'm keen to do a 3 to 5 day walk in the Sydney surrounds. Having scoured the internet and the books I have, the Scenic Railway - Ruined Castle - Mt Solitary - Kedumba River - Wentworth Falls walk seems a good possibility. I've done the golden stairs-ruined castle-scenic railway day walk, so I have some idea of the area. This link provides a good description - http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... falls.html.

However I'm concerned about navigation. Me and my two mates have done a number of overnighters in Tasmania and New Zealand but these have all been on well-defined routes. I did some compass navigation many years ago as an army conscript but I'm not confident I can rely on myself if we were to lose our way.

So my questions are:

How well defined is the route?

Are there any other suggestions that would suit our level of experience? (The six-foot track doesn't appeal because walking on fire trails just doesn't do it for me).

Thanks,
Des
deratu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: 3 day walks around Sydney

Postby johnw » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:50 pm

I haven't done the full traverse that you are proposing, but have walked up Mt Solitary many times (via Ruined Castle track - Korowal Knife Edge) on day trips and been down to Kedumba Valley Farm on the other side. The track is well defined in all areas I've visited to date. I've been across the top of Solitary to about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way across, to an informal campsite and nearby lookout. It is very well defined to that point. The continuation appears to remain so looking at it from there, and I believe it would be until at least "The Col", which is the initial steep descent route into the Kedumba Valley. Beyond that I can't comment but have occasionally heard of people having navigation problems down in the Kedumba section. Once on the Kedumba Valley Road it's simple, just follow it up.

You might also consider the Wild Dog Mountains nearby. Great spot where we've done some overnight trips. Mostly there are well defined tracks there and the nav is not too difficult on these (but people also do more difficult walks there too).

For reasonably easy walking, start at Carlons Farm go down Carlons Ck to the Breakfast Ck junction, then choice of steeply up Blackhorse Ridge and on to Mobbs Swamp campsite. Go up Mt Dingo to Splendour Rock as a side trip (there is also a small campsite there). Return via Medlow Gap which makes a circuit; last section is all fire trail.

Alternatively from the junction of Carlons Ck walk the length of Breakfast Ck to the Coxs River. Camp there and return via Ironpot Mountain, making a circuit. You can also camp at a few spots along Breakfast Creek, such as Frying Pan Flat. Breakfast Ck is really pretty IMHO.

These are both overnighters but there are quite a few possibilities. It shouldn't be difficult to design a 3 day walk or longer through the area.

There are probably other suggestions in other places in the Sydney region I could give you. Is there anything in particular you want to see/do? Wollangambe Crater, Newnes to Glen Davis, Meryla Pass area, Coast Track in Royal NP are few that come to mind.

Also, bear in mind that the walk you are currently considering contains quite a lot of fire trail walking on the last day, and most of my suggestions also have at least a small amount.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby deratu » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 2:06 pm

Thanks for your suggestions John.

I'll do some research on the areas you mentioned.

For the last few years I've been able to do at least one long walk in some beautiful place like Tasmania or New Zealand. This year I will have to keep it local, so I am looking for somewhere that is within reasonable driving distance but will still provide a decent bush walking experience.
deratu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Ephebus » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 5:23 pm

I've never walked over in the Kedumba Valley. However, I have been to Breakfast Creek and I agree with John, it is quite nice. We walked down Blackhorse Ridge having stayed at Mobbs Swamp the night before and back out Carlon Ck. The walk out of Carlon creek wasn't as nice as it was full of stinging nettle at the time (as in fields of waist high stinging nettle), so if you do go in that way I'd recommend sleeves and pants. I had gaitors on but my knees took a beating. There is quite a bit of bracken fern down near the creek and you can use the juice from the young fronds to stop the itching... a little bit.

Depending on when you go, Mobbs Swamp can be a good campsite. Its quite big, which is good if your going out over the weekend, but it can dry up if there hasn't been much rain. There is usually still enough water around, though sometimes its stagnant. There is also a cave there that you can sleep in if you prefer that to a tent.

Here are a couple of photos from Breakfast creek Septmeber last year.

DSC_1184ed.jpg
DSC_1184ed.jpg (390.46 KiB) Viewed 11224 times

DSC_1195ed.jpg
DSC_1195ed.jpg (444.94 KiB) Viewed 11219 times

Sections of the Cox's River are quite nice as well. Its a nice region as there are endless walks you can do and I never get sick of walking down Narrow Neck to get in there (despite it being a road bash).
You'll never walk alone
Ephebus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby deratu » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:33 am

Thanks for the tips and photos. It gives me a good idea of what to expect.
deratu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby kanangra » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 10:55 am

Des,

I don't think you will have any problems with navigation. I don't think you will need 3 to 5 days either. The footrack off Solitary down to the river and up the other side is very clear.

You may like to consider a detour though and visit the old Kedumba homestead where there is good camping? The track leaves the main foottrack at he first level spot after the descent off Solitary. There is a sign here. There is a foot track that sidles to another sign and then a snig track to the main road at another sign. If you turn left there you will come to the river. On the other side is a grassy camping area with toilet and fire places.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 12:23 pm

kanangra wrote:I don't think you will need 3 to 5 days

Yep, I've usually seen it described as an overnighter. Sometimes even a long/hard day trip. The first time we ever went up Mt Solitary, on the way back towards top of the Golden Stairs met a group of older blokes who had started from the Queen Victoria hospital at 7am. It was about 5pm by then; they reckoned they were #@#*ed.

kanangra wrote:On the other side is a grassy camping area with toilet and fire places.

It looks a good spot there, although the grass was about knee high when we visited about 3 years ago (I think NPWS do cut it occasionally though).

They were also doing restoration work on the old historic hut off the main FT a bit further up. Interesting to know if any progress has been made?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 12:36 pm

Ephebus wrote:The walk out of Carlon creek wasn't as nice as it was full of stinging nettle at the time (as in fields of waist high stinging nettle), so if you do go in that way I'd recommend sleeves and pants.

Yes, good advice. The first time we went down there I was wearing shorts and no gaiters, so copped it well and truly. Carlons Ck is well known for stinging nettles, although they are actually a native species. It wasn't too bad last time we visited; I think November 2007. I believe the nettles were much worse when horseriding was allowed there; so there was plenty of manure to encourage growth!

Also keep an eye out for red-bellied black snakes. We've encountered them sleeping on the track.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby deratu » Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks all for the great information. I'll let you know how we go.

Des
deratu
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby roysta » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 8:19 pm

Email me at roysta49@yahoo.com.au and I'll give you enough 3 day walk possibilities around Sydney to keep you going for years.
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to New South Wales & ACT