Brisbane Waters Spion Kop

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Brisbane Waters Spion Kop

Postby Rob Gosford » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 2:23 pm

hey shankspony, i FOUND IT this morning ! :D

here is the end of Waterfall Creek before it plunges over and down.......
IMG_8292.jpg
IMG_8292.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 17106 times

and to my RIGHT - the orange tape on the tree, then "up a narrow little slot for a couple of meters between rocks" (er, that is my Windows Paint white arrow lol).......
IMG_8293.jpg
IMG_8293.jpg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 17106 times

exactly as you described ! :)
i went up that well worn track a hundred meters or so and then turned back. I'll make a full asault to Spion soon, beginning at the tedious Bambara Rd F/T. It wasn't as wet underfoot today as it was last week.

thanks again for your directions. ALL will benefit :P
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby shankspony » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 9:01 pm

Nice one Rob. Thanks for posting some pics, and it's good to hear you enjoying your exploring!
there's no time to waste like the present - the sky's your oyster
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Rob Gosford » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 3:15 pm

shankspony wrote:there's a faint path with copious orange tape all the way to the rock

and YES there was >>>>> COPIOUS amounts of orange/pink tape :D
Did the walk this morning from Bambara Rd F/T Kariong, then Koolewong Ridge F/T, then Waterfall Creek (THANK YOU to whoever put tree branches at the crossing of Waterfall Creek. Kept me toes dry :) ), then all the way out to the end of Spion Kop, and return. On the return, was heading straight into the sun, and missed the orange tape 3 times, getting "lost". No worries tho, after retracing steps. Thanks shankspony for your earlier "sussing out". It was fairly dry throughout. Fantastic views over Woy Woy Bay at the end looking towards the Rip Bridge. It was breezy and cold :x

some pics.......

into the unknown sunrise
IMG_8343 (600x800).jpg
IMG_8343 (600x800).jpg (356.74 KiB) Viewed 16998 times

interesting rockscape
IMG_8345 (800x600).jpg
IMG_8345 (800x600).jpg (337.24 KiB) Viewed 16998 times

looking down Woy Woy Bay
IMG_8369 (800x597).jpg
IMG_8369 (800x597).jpg (238.47 KiB) Viewed 16998 times

looking down Woy Woy Bay
IMG_8382 (800x591).jpg
IMG_8382 (800x591).jpg (247.97 KiB) Viewed 16998 times

8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby shankspony » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 2:51 pm

Nice one Rob. Did you get to the 'dragon head' rock that kjbeath posted a pic of on page one of this thread? It's just a bit further on than the photo's you posted above.
there's no time to waste like the present - the sky's your oyster
shankspony
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby Rob Gosford » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 8:15 pm

shankspony wrote:Did you get to the 'dragon head' rock that kjbeath posted a pic of on page one of this thread?

nah didn't make it further on :?
Silly me thought that where I stood WAS the end.
I realised my mistake after I got home and saw on Google Earth that there is a photo taken at "the Dragon Head", and (again) i "missed it by that much" :lol:

so its a good excuse, to do the walk again soon :)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:00 pm

shankspony wrote:Did you get to the 'dragon head' rock that kjbeath posted a pic of on page one of this thread?

hi shankspony,
this morning, I SURE DID ! :D

after an early start with a beautiful sunrise.........

IMG_8414 (800x600).jpg
IMG_8414 (800x600).jpg (229.05 KiB) Viewed 16980 times

I ended up at the very end of Spion Kop, with nice views down Woy Woy Bay.

IMG_8449 (800x600).jpg
IMG_8449 (800x600).jpg (251.8 KiB) Viewed 16980 times

BUT, there was no way that these 63yo legs were going to walk me out to the Dragon's Head where kjbeath precariously sat ! :shock:

IMG_8431 (800x600).jpg
IMG_8431 (800x600).jpg (352.12 KiB) Viewed 16980 times

a real nice bushwalk.
I did notice today more ribbon marking since the last time I was there.
cherio 8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Sat 01 Aug, 2015 2:54 pm

You cant say that isnt one of the most perfectly named rock formations!
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Rob Gosford » Sun 02 Aug, 2015 9:20 am

perfectlydark wrote:You cant say that isnt one of the most perfectly named rock formations!

that is true PD !
another that comes to mind is Eagle Rock in the RNP 8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 7:46 pm

shankspony wrote:The view from Lyre Trig isn't too shonky either. Almost 360 deg panorama.

you are NOT wrong there shankspony !

I was at the Lyre Trig (informal) lookout last week and the view is outstanding ! :D

pics.....

IMG_8587 (800x593).jpg
IMG_8587 (800x593).jpg (334.23 KiB) Viewed 16875 times

IMG_8584 (800x588).jpg
IMG_8584 (800x588).jpg (354.89 KiB) Viewed 16875 times

from there, you can wonder down to the - so called - "Egyptian" hieroglyphics.

As a mater of fact, a good morning's walk (of, 4 Ks ?) would be to park near the Kariong Fire Control Center, walk south down Woy Woy Rd a short distance to Bambara Rd firetrail, half way along Bambara turn off left and head to the "Egyptian" hieroglyphics, then up to the Lyre Trig lookout for a view, then flat/downhill back to your car.

here is one of the pics I took of the (so called) "Egyptian" hieroglyphics.......

IMG_8521 (800x600).jpg
IMG_8521 (800x600).jpg (351.74 KiB) Viewed 16875 times

8)
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Sun 30 Jul, 2017 4:11 pm

Bron wrote:Both times i have been in from the fire trail off the Woy Woy Rd at Phegans Bay.
the ladders are plain iron rungs and there is a rope to hold onto if you need it. The group I did it with had people in their 70s and they all managed to get up and down the ladder without too much difficulty.
Bron

well, I hate to say it, I failed again in getting up that iron rung 'ladder'. the rope is in good nick. attempted initially a year ago. went back there this weekend determined to get up that 'ladder'..........nup, again, couldn't do it ! I get onto the first rung with both feet, and go to pull myself up the rope to get onto the 2nd rung and there is NO WAY Hose i can do. even if I DID, the 3rd rung is even more difficult. I need to be a Ninja Warrior :lol: :lol: to get up that 'ladder'. so I turned around and went back............

QUOTE: "people in their 70s and they all managed to get up and down the ladder without too much difficulty" Heck, they must have all been fit ex-triathletes :lol:

yes and I'm an unfit 'senior citizen' :(

the next time, I think i'll take the easier longer way in to Spion Kop, from Bambara Rd f/t Kariong :D

EDIT: next time, I was thinking of taking in a 5M lightweight extendable aluminium ladder :wink:
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roysta » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 3:22 pm

Or come in from Lara Street, near the Woy Woy bridge, up on to Koolewong Ridge, then to Waterfall Creek and Spion Kop.
roysta

Postby devoswitch » Wed 23 May, 2018 7:41 pm

Went up to Spion Kop today as I’m staying with a friend who lives literally at the start of a trail at Point Clare. Did the exact walk that someone in this thread posted satellite view of. Finished up on Woy Woy rd. It is an extremely beautiful part of this world. I especially loved following waterfall creek down to the ‘waterfall’. Spent a couple of hours up on top and walked into Woy Woy.
Attachments
CBA6FF00-1A6C-4357-B402-26300433271E.jpeg
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Rob Gosford » Fri 01 Jun, 2018 12:23 pm

devoswitch wrote:Went up to Spion Kop today as I’m staying with a friend who lives literally at the start of a trail at Point Clare. Did the exact walk that someone in this thread posted satellite view of. Finished up on Woy Woy rd. It is an extremely beautiful part of this world. I especially loved following waterfall creek down to the ‘waterfall’. Spent a couple of hours up on top and walked into Woy Woy.

congrats on your walk. Nice photo ! Yes you discovered an extremely beautiful part of the world out to Spion Kop.....couldn't agree more ! that walk along Waterfall Creek is so pleasant ! great spot along there above the waterfall to break open the sandwiches and coffee thermos :D

roysta wrote:Or come in from Lara Street, near the Woy Woy bridge, up on to Koolewong Ridge, then to Waterfall Creek and Spion Kop..

nup ! from the dirt car park at Lara St UP to the top of the ridge, it is an EXTREMELY steep climb.........I was puffing my lungs out buggered by the time I got to the top a few weeks ago on my way to Koolewong Lookout :lol:

From Bambara Rd. firetrail at Woy Woy Rd Kariong, it is by FAR a less exertive walk. Besides, coming in to the rough track that leads down to Waterfall Creek, is exactly the same distance from either end (Bambara in the north or Lara in the south) at 2.3 klms.
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby devoswitch » Sat 02 Jun, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks Rob, yeah it really is lovely. Checked out the Glyphs the other day too. Pretty special.

On a side note has anyone followed waterfall creek down to the water? That mossy boulder filled atmosphere really appeals to me.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob Gosford » Tue 05 Jun, 2018 4:50 am

devoswitch wrote:Thanks Rob, yeah it really is lovely. Checked out the Glyphs the other day too. Pretty special.

On a side note has anyone followed waterfall creek down to the water? That mossy boulder filled atmosphere really appeals to me.

yeah those glyphs are a real eye opener :shock: Too bad they aren't really done by the Egyptians :(

I'd love to find a way down to the water from the top. Heck who knows ! ........there could be be hula girls down there :lol: It looks a dangerous descent tho..........
Rob Gosford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby devoswitch » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 2:22 pm

Rob Gosford wrote:
devoswitch wrote:Thanks Rob, yeah it really is lovely. Checked out the Glyphs the other day too. Pretty special.

yeah those glyphs are a real eye opener :shock: Too bad they aren't really done by the Egyptians :(

I'd love to find a way down to the water from the top. Heck who knows ! ........there could be be hula girls down there :lol: It looks a dangerous descent tho..........

Jury is still out for me. I understand all the evidence from both sides.... but it’s intriguing either way.

Ill be heading back there one day so I’ll be sure to drop down and check it out. From Spion Kop it looked as though there was a lovely beach at the outlet of it.
devoswitch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to New South Wales & ACT