OXFAM walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

OXFAM walk

Postby westernarthursaddict » Sat 23 May, 2015 12:28 am

Hey guys

ive done 15 hour days on the south west cape (tasmania) and coming back from the western arthurs with heavy packs. Im looking at doing the oxfam walk and I was wondering how it challenges you physically, and how it may compare to that experience above. Im thinking for training that I should take out a 20-30 kg pack and go push myself on ten hour days to nail in muscular endurance. I just don't want to be trotting along and start going insane because I haven't trained enough haha. I also exercise between 4-6 times a week with interval training, weights and endurance regimes. So yeah any sort of suggestions would be great :) cheers
westernarthursaddict
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: OXFAM walk

Postby Suz » Tue 26 May, 2015 6:58 pm

A girl I used to work with did it. She finished okay but some of her team mates did not. One thing is that there is an online guide produced by Oxfam I believe telling you much to train in the lead up. You won't be carrying much weight on the trail, so training with 20-30kg may or may not help. You do want to do some night time training tho. A lot of people retire from the race due to strain and twisting injuries.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Turfa » Tue 26 May, 2015 7:26 pm

I have found that for 100km events one of the key things is to get lots of hours on your legs to understand how your body is going to react when it has been on the go for 20 hours or more. You will find that you will get blisters & chafing in places you have never had it before. Make sure you build up to a few longish 50-60 Km training days to help sort out socks, hot spot management etc. Hill training (repeats) with a heavy pack would be helpful to build leg strength, but I probably wouldn't bother doing long distances with such a heavy load. Suz is spot on about night time training, a lot of people seem to struggle when it gets dark (both physically and mentally) make sure you do plenty of hours at night so you can test out your gear (headlamp etc.) and also get into the mental swing of walking for hours without really being able to see anything but a small bright spot in front of you. You also need to figure out a nutrition strategy as some people find that their stomachs kind of shut down after so long on the go & have trouble with food. You only figure out what works for you by putting in the hours.

I find running helpful too, especially hill repeats & stairs. Helps with both aerobic fitness & leg strength. But ultimately I have always thoughts these kind of events are 50 % physical & 50% mental, you need to accept that you will probably be tired, wet, cold & in pain & still be willing to keep going for another 40km

Trailwalker is a great event & a lot of fun.....careful though, these things are addictive !!!!
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby scoha » Tue 26 May, 2015 9:13 pm

Ive done four Oxfams and we came top ten last year in under 15 hours. It depends on what you want to get out of it. For us it was getting home as soon as we could to minimise the time on our feet. That means running. We run for 6 mins and walk for six mins all the way. Works well for us. Like other suggestions, theres no substitute for getting the miles into the legs. Other tip (if you are time weenies) is to minimise time spent in checkpoints - once you stop its harder to get going again. Keep it light and keep it fast. Above all enjoy and make some great money for a great organisation.
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby earthgrace » Tue 26 May, 2015 9:49 pm

wow, scoha! I'm impressed :D
earthgrace
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby westernarthursaddict » Wed 27 May, 2015 9:50 am

yeah wow thats quite some feat well done scoha. Thank you for your advice, I think yeah ill start doing long walks - possibly the full six foot track twice in one day, a couple of times. Regarding nutrition, I'll be eating complex carbohydrates and a lot of antioxidant based food to prevent inflammation. So the main foods will likely be:
oats, sweet potato, bananas, chia seeds, cherries, pumpkin, brown rice, some lean meat, tuna, capsicum, and whole meal bread with peanut butter. I might also have some whole grain pasta. I will also use powdered gatorade, but only where I am feeling deflated.
westernarthursaddict
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Suz » Wed 27 May, 2015 1:34 pm

not Gu then? ha ha
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Turfa » Wed 27 May, 2015 5:53 pm

Ha ha..... I've done it a few times powered pretty much by Allens Snakes & Cheese Twisties.....

But seriously, don't over complicate it, simple is often best
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Big Foot » Sun 09 Aug, 2015 9:28 pm

See you on the trail I have volunteered as a Trail Marshal on Friday 28th August. All the best with your training and here's hoping for good weather
Big Foot
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT