Looking for a good spot to camp in Winter with kids

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for a good spot to camp in Winter with kids

Postby Kainas » Sat 06 Jun, 2015 2:28 pm

If the desperation isn't obvious... :cry:

I want to take the kids away camping...somewhere...almost anywhere.

Our camping gear is limited to a big-ass 12-man canvas tent, or a 2-man camping tent, or some other thing that I only set up once, big with 1000 tent pegs required.

Our sleeping bags are rated 0-5C, we spent a few cold nights down near newnes/jenolan caves last school holidays, it was unpleasant, but not intolerable.

I want to pack my 2WD car, and the "makes life easier" trailer with the esky, and camp kitchen, and go find somewhere to set up camp, that I can go bushwalking etc.

Within 6 hrs drive of Newcastle. Prefer Bush not Coast.

I am leaning towards a caravan park in Glousceter, as then I wouldn't need to bring the trailer - but am I mental or will I freeze?

I was thinking about a cabin, but @$55 p/n vs $15 p/n for a campsite, I figure I take the campsite and throw a couple of hundred toward an essential gear for warmth, ie thermals or boots for the kids.

All suggestions and advice accepted.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Looking for a good spot to camp in Winter with kids

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 07 Jun, 2015 12:19 am

Myall Lakes at 'Mungo brush' just beyond Hawks Nest near Nelson Bay...

120 kms from where you are and about a 2-3 hour drive!

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Mu ... b49043a670

...absolutely beautiful and the ranger supplies you with all the firewood you will need.

Got to be one of the best destinations out of Sydney, canoes are for hire (take buoyancy vests for kids) as the lake is only waist deep for about 1 km out from shore!

You and the kids will love the waterfront camping, a camp fire, sandy shores, shallow, calm and warm lake water!

Bush setting and no biting nasties because it's Winter time and very kid safe area... enjoy!

:D
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Re: Looking for a good spot to camp in Winter with kids

Postby Jesse20 » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 8:58 pm

That’s a good idea to spend fun time with family. I also have twins that are currently in the Phoenix kindergarten. I am a working woman so usually I don’t get much time with them. But on this weekend I am going to organize a campaign and will invite their kindergarten friends and teachers too to this campaign.

Edit by moderator, irrelevant kindergarten link removed. Do you really want to advertise to the world where your kids can be found?
Benefit of doubt given, this post has been left on the forum.
Jesse20
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Return to New South Wales & ACT