Walk recommendation

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walk recommendation

Postby rbrand » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 3:23 am

Hello All,

I would appreciate if group members could recommend some good walks in NSW.

I'm traveling to Australia this December for about three weeks. I'm looking for a walk of 3-6 days and a circuit would make logistics easier. Regardless, I'll have to rely on public transport or a shuttle service. Finally, I am mostly interested in mountainous regions. I was considering the Warrumbungles Grand High Tops or Heart of the Budawangs, though I guess the latter is too hot by then.

For some background, I will be hiking solo. I am fit and have fairly extensive experience hiking, backpacking, climbing in the western USA (Alaska, Rocky Mountains, and deserts), as well internationally in NZ, Scotland, and Latin America.

Thanks,
Brand
rbrand
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Walk recommendation

Postby jonnosan » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 3:10 pm

This summer looks likely to be very hot. So I think your best bet will be a section of the Australian Alps Walking Track (AAWT).
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lindsay » Sat 17 Oct, 2015 8:16 pm

You could put together a nice circuit in the Blue Mountains. Close to Sydney and good public transport. Most of the walks are one to three days, however you could put a few together if you had the time. These sites will give you a few ideas, If you have any questions please ask.

http://www.wildwalks.com/

http://bushwalkingnsw.com/

Enjoy your visit!
Lindsay

Region: New South Wales

Postby rbrand » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi Jonnosan and Lindsey,

Many thanks for the input.

That's too bad about the projected hot season. Hopefully this won't translate in too bad of a fireseason.

The Alps and Blue Mountains both sound interesting. I'll check these out to see what kind of walks I can put together and may follow up with additional questions after checking out the resources.

Thanks again,
rbrand
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DaveNoble » Thu 22 Oct, 2015 4:52 pm

Yes - it is often too hot for enjoyable walking close to Sydney. Thats why we often go canyoning. But you can still go on reasonable walks - especially if the weather is not too hot. And it can be a good idea to walk along or close to rivers or the coast. The coastal track at Royal National Park is a good walk with a variety of scenery - cliffs, heathland, beaches, rainforest, dry forest etc. - with lots of opportunities for swimming as you go. It has good public transport options at each end, plus options to extend the walk. Also - in the Blue Mts - you can spend 2 - 3 days walking down the upper gross river. All on tracks and accessible by train, with plenty of swimming opportunities. There is good cheap accommodation in the Blue Mts - and you could combine this with other shorter walks. Some of the classic day walks like Grand Canyon and National Pass are well worth doing. In summer - you do need to keep your eyes open for snakes. They are around and usually hide from you, but its not good to stand on one.
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby rbrand » Sun 25 Oct, 2015 4:04 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information. The Blue Mountains do sound attractive and convenient.
It's interesting you comment on snakes. While Australia has a reputation for having a lot of venomous and temperamental snakes, it doesn't get much attention in the hiking literate. That said, I grew up and lived in the western US where snakes are commonplace and agree it is not good to stand (or sit!) on one.

Cheers,

DaveNoble wrote:Yes - it is often too hot for enjoyable walking close to Sydney. Thats why we often go canyoning. But you can still go on reasonable walks - especially if the weather is not too hot. And it can be a good idea to walk along or close to rivers or the coast. The coastal track at Royal National Park is a good walk with a variety of scenery - cliffs, heathland, beaches, rainforest, dry forest etc. - with lots of opportunities for swimming as you go. It has good public transport options at each end, plus options to extend the walk. Also - in the Blue Mts - you can spend 2 - 3 days walking down the upper gross river. All on tracks and accessible by train, with plenty of swimming opportunities. There is good cheap accommodation in the Blue Mts - and you could combine this with other shorter walks. Some of the classic day walks like Grand Canyon and National Pass are well worth doing. In summer - you do need to keep your eyes open for snakes. They are around and usually hide from you, but its not good to stand on one.
rbrand
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT