Mt Warrigal & Mt Merrimerrigal summits in the Blue Mts

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Warrigal & Mt Merrimerrigal summits in the Blue Mts

Postby paul8 » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 4:30 am

I like to climb to the summits of Mt Warrigal & Mt Merrimerrigal in the Wild Dog Mountains of the Blue Mts.
There are cliffs surrounding these mountains, hence how to climb them is not so obvious from the maps.
Can some one please send me GPS tracklog file(s), GPX or KML format, on a route to the summits.
My email address: mntviews@gmail.com
Thank you,
paul8
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Warrigal & Mt Merrimerrigal summits in the Blue Mts

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 8:13 am

Why don't you just walk out there and work it out? They are not hard to climb. Merrimerrigal has a track that goes up it. Warrigal - the track traverses around the side of it - through a cave, but you can leave the track (at the Mouin side) and easily scramble to the summit. There are a few minor cliffs that are not too had to bypass (and easier to find ways up from the bottom rather than find ways down from the top). You can traverse the peak - but it is a bit tricky getting down on the Merrimerrigal side - you need to hunt around to find the closest point to the bottom - and then a bit of rope or tape will help. I haven't been on Warrigal recently - but heard there was a hut on it - near the top somewhere.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paul8 » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 11:55 am

DaveNoble
>"...Why don't you just walk out there and work it out?..."
Let's just say I'm lazy. People have climbed them already and I'm happy to simply follow their footsteps instead of trailblazing and spending time to find a route to the summits. :D
Also, I want to climb the following:
- Mt Mouin
- Blackhorse Mountain
- Mt Warrigal
- Mt Merrimerrigal
- Mt Dingo
- and visit Splendor Rock further south
all in one day.
Hence I don't have time to look for entry points to climb Warrigal and Merrimerrigal. If someone can send me the GPS tracklog file(s) to the summits of these 2 mountains, that would help me lot.
Incidentally, if some one is willing to lead me to climb all these mountains, that is even better :D
paul8
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jonnosan » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 6:22 pm

A lot of the tracks in the Wild Dogs have been uploaded to openstreetmaps - https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1078 ... 4&layers=C

There are routes shown over all the summits except Warrigal. As DaveNoble says - that one you will need to find your own way up. I have been on the "wombat parade" track many times and seen quite a few potential routes up but never actually gone up. I will have to check it out next time to see if I can find that hut.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby paul8 » Sun 18 Oct, 2015 8:50 pm

jonnosan, Thank you !
I can create a GPS tracklog file to Merrimerrigal based on the routes in openstreetmaps ... hope the routes in the map are accurate and not just rough sketch.
Now I just have to find my way to Warrigal ... hope I have enough time in the day to do it.
paul8
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paul8 » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 12:36 am

Thanks to all who replied. I've now climbed the 5 Wild Dog Mountains all in a day:
- Mt Mouin
- Blackhorse Mountain
- Mt Warrigal
- Mt Merrimerrigal
- Mt Dingo, plus Splendour Rock as a bonus.
Photos and trip report are in my blog: http://mntviews.blogspot.com.au/2016/02 ... ralia.html
paul8
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT