Upper Blue Mountains NSW Snake Identification Needed

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Upper Blue Mountains NSW Snake Identification Needed

Postby johnw » Fri 08 May, 2009 1:51 pm

I went for a walk on my own last Saturday. Absent mindedly wandering a long a recently re-opened section of track, I almost trod on what initially looked like a metre or so long red-bellied black snake lying across the track.

I backed off and it quickly slithered away but I noticed that the underbelly was bright-ish yellow rather than red.

Unfortunately too quick to get a photo. But my research so far suggests it might be either a Highlands Copperhead or a black variety of the Green Tree Snake. Do either of these sound credible? Any other ideas of what it could be?
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Upper Blue Mountains NSW Snake Identification Needed

Postby the_camera_poser » Fri 08 May, 2009 5:27 pm

Tiger snake nearing a sloughing?
the_camera_poser

Postby tasadam » Fri 08 May, 2009 10:40 pm

Yellow bellied black snake?
http://www.snakewise.com.au/common_snakes.htm
That should help.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 09 May, 2009 9:03 am

...sleeping on a red rock?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby luke_vic » Sat 09 May, 2009 5:15 pm

Copperhead would be very likely - plenty of them around the Victorian High Country too

http://www.avru.org/general/general_copperhead.html
http://www.avru.org/general/distrib_copper.html
luke_vic
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby johnw » Sun 10 May, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks guys :). Based on those sites and further looking it up in my snake book, I now think it most likely to be the Common Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata) ..."snake identification can be difficult"... "green, grey, black with a yellow belly (wrongly called yellow belly black snake)"... . However I won't completely rule out highlands coppperhead. I did encounter one of those a couple of years ago while walking off track in long grass but it was much lighter/different in colour to this snake.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby WarrenH » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 7:09 pm

There is a snake that is found in the Blue Mountains called the Mustard-Bellied Snake (Drysdalia rhodogaster).

The snake can appear dark brown to smoky black, with the mustard belly, depending on the habitat and the season.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby johnw » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 1:21 pm

WarrenH wrote:There is a snake that is found in the Blue Mountains called the Mustard-Bellied Snake (Drysdalia rhodogaster).

The snake can appear dark brown to smoky black, with the mustard belly, depending on the habitat and the season.

Warren.

Thanks very much Warren. I suspect you could be right, I think there can be quite a bit of variation in that species. Unfortunately my memory is getting vague now on that particular encounter and sadly no photo. I did once see a very small Drysdalia rhodogaster while descending into Valley of the Waters, but that one had a very bright coloured yellow band around its neck. Spectacular looking thing.

I had another "up close and personal" snake incident earlier this week and I'm having trouble identifying that one also. Completely different location so I'll post a separate topic.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New South Wales & ACT