Snowy public transport

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Snowy public transport

Postby davidf » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:49 pm

Anyone know of any public transport up the alpine way out of snow season? My searches so far have hit a dead end. Researching a whloe Thredbo river packraft trip. I no i can get in/out of Jindabyne.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Snowy public transport

Postby Suz » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 7:14 pm

i think it depends where you are hoping to get to. I was looking at this recently too - but didn't really properly look much into it. I use an app/website called Rome2Rio and I find it makes a good starting point for researching PT in an unfamiliar area.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 8:07 am

There are a few old threads on this subject. NSW RailLInk has regular coaches running to Jindabyne from Canberra via Cooma as an extension of the rail network. It may be possible to get to Thredbo during school term time on the school bus. There is no public transport that I know of beyond Thredbo on the Alpine Way.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby DarrenM » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 9:12 pm

davidf wrote:Anyone know of any public transport up the alpine way out of snow season? My searches so far have hit a dead end. Researching a whloe Thredbo river packraft trip. I no i can get in/out of Jindabyne.

Hi Mate,

Have you got much beta on the river? It's pretty steep and techy in places from what I hear. Check out the adventure pro site if you haven't already. Looks like an awesome trip in the making. :)
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT