Kid friendly multi day hikes blue mtns

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kid friendly multi day hikes blue mtns

Postby Heathenaka » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 12:18 am

Hi punters, just checking people's past hiking experiences - am looking to do some overnight maybe 2- 3 day hikes with agile active tweenies..am looking for easy - moderate trails with creek river options in the blue mountains area maybe not to populous/ busy..can anyone suggest options please? Are wild dog Mts / cox river potential options for those that have done these?

Thx
Heathenaka
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kid friendly multi day hikes blue mtns

Postby jonnosan » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 1:46 pm

Getting out to the wild dogs requires either a boring road bash or a big steep climb in and out of breakfast creek. Lots of teenagers do go there for DoE camps, but I would suggest something that is less of a slog and more easy scrambling / rock hopping. I think Erskine Creek (Jack Evans track) is pretty under rated.

http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... track.html

Also consider Deep Pass near Newnes - it's only a 30 minute hike from road to campsite but then you can easily spend a day or more exploring the creeks, caves and easy canyons in the area. I took my kids (7&9) there a few months ago and they spent several hours just clambering over the pagodas nearest the tent.

Last option would be faulconbridge to blaxland http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... xland.html
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Heathenaka » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 2:40 am

Thanks for the reply - will give these a go.. Hey have you attempted / been to the cox river campground in from six foot track start? Wondering if this is a worthy adventure...
Heath
Heathenaka
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 10:23 am

jonnosan wrote:Getting out to the wild dogs requires either a boring road bash or a big steep climb in and out of breakfast creek. Lots of teenagers do go there for DoE camps, but I would suggest something that is less of a slog and more easy scrambling / rock hopping.

You're probably underselling the Wild Dogs, Jonno. It's not that steep down Carlon Creek to Breakfast Creek - 45 minutes at a fairly gentle grade? Then rockhopping down Breakfast Creek to the Coxs. Decent camping there and probably only 3 hours walk or so.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 10:28 am

Yes the Carlon Creek section is OK, was think of the climb from there up to Mobbs / Splendour Rock. I had discounted the Breakfast Creek/Coxs because I was thinking the climb up Ironmonger would be not much fun, but yeah going in and out breakfast creek is probably a good option.

Re the 6 ft track to coxs river campsite. The nicest bit is the first section (down through Nellies Glen) which has a few easy rock hopping bits across little mossy streams, after that you are walking along fire trail or through open paddocks, which gets pretty samish. The river is nice, and you can wander up and down it but I think both sides of the coxs river are private property upstream and a long way downstream of the 6 ft track crossing, and so the only spot where camping is allowed is the spot near the carpark which will often have a lot of other people.
jonnosan

Postby jonnosan » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 10:34 am

this is the route Tom is talking about http://goo.gl/FuCyB1
jonnosan

Postby Heathenaka » Fri 06 Nov, 2015 1:10 pm

Can't thank you guys enough! Happy hikin!
Heathenaka
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT