Ben Boyd - Light to Light

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ben Boyd - Light to Light

Postby JulianS » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 11:15 am

I'm interested in returning to Ben Boyd for the first time in a few years. In looking up the latest info re- camp bookings/fees etc, I was shocked to come across some news stories about development in the Park (including accommodation) as part of an 'eco' tourism initiative.

http://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com.au/s ... ms-future/
http://hercanberra.com.au/cpcity/making ... far-south/

That said, I also read about some troubles experienced by the operator (Auswide), who's website appears to be offline.

Can anyone shed any "light" on this? ;- ) Did the building of new infrastructure - particularly the mentioned accommodation developments at Mowarry Point & Bittangabee - go ahead?
JulianS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Ben Boyd - Light to Light

Postby otter » Tue 29 Mar, 2016 7:39 pm

My partner and I walked this beautiful stretch of coast over Easter. We didn't see an sign of development at Mowarry Point & Bittangabee, or any notice of intention to develop, so think you're safe to return.

We walked from Green Cape to Boyd Tower, over three days, camping at Hegarty's and Mowarry Point. Stopped at both Bittangabee (just for a look) and Saltwater Creek (to top up our water supply from the tanks) campsites. This is such a relaxed walk, with diverse flora, fauna, and vistas all the way along - I was really impressed. We avoided car shuffle issues with the rather expensive option of Eden Taxis ($180), allowing us to leave the car at Boyd Tower, and having the taxi collect us from there and drop us to Green Cape to start our walk back to it.
otter
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ben Boyd - Light to Light

Postby sandym » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 7:45 am

If there are two (or more) walking, one way to avoid shuttling dilemmas is to have one person start from one end, one from the other, meet and camp about the half way point then each person continues on the next day. Hegarty has really nice camping and is about half way along. The walk is only about 30 km, mostly flat so easy to do in two days. You only need one car for shuttles and avoid expensive taxis/transfers. I am glad to hear there is no development. It would be a bit sad to see new buildings there.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT