Day walks in or near Kangaroo Valley

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Day walks in or near Kangaroo Valley

Postby Watertank » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm from Mebourne and I haven't done any walking in NSW - I will be in Kangaroo Valley in November and I am looking for some suggestions for day walks from or near somewhere I can car camp. Thanks.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Day walks in or near Kangaroo Valley

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 2:21 pm

Are you talking about in KV itself, or generally in the area? For example, there are a lot of national parks within say an hour's drive.

Also, on track walks, or don't care?
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 2:33 pm

Here's a few ideas in KV itself:
Beehive Point
Surge Tunnel Lookout / Barrengary Trig
Brooks Plateau Lookouts
Four ways Point (opposite Beehive Pt)
Mt Scanzi
Mt Carrialoo / Mt Moolattoo
Yarrunga Creek
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 6:10 pm

Plenty of nice places to camp in the area too, even with a car. I think Bendeela is the best place in Kangaroo Valley itself; it's run by the SCA. But it's quite open, and can get very busy with people from Sydney! I think from memory you can camp at Tallowa Dam itself, but I've never camped there.
Going a bit further afield, there's always Coolendel, which is a nice spot, but pricey and a bit of a trek from KV. There's a few nice free campsites near it though, if you don't want to pay for the facilities and peacocks.
There's the a open grassed campsite at Danjera dam, although NPWS has built a nicer campsite just down the road. It doesn't have easy dam access, so is quieter.
Bugdgong NP has a couple of nice looking spots at Illaroo and Coolendel Lookouts, but they're a bit rocky and unofficial; I think NPWS is trying to discourage people from using them. But if you want to take some photos, there's some wonderful views out across the Shoalhaven. NPWS was going to put an official campsite in that park, but I think it's still a quarry ATM.
There's also NPWS camping at Bundanoon and in Bungonia NP, but they might be a bit further afield than you're thinking about?
There used to be camping in Budderoo NP at Carrington Falls, although I'm not sure if it's still open; it did get closed for a while at one point. NPWS doesn't list it as a campground anymore... Might be worth ringing NPWS and asking them, Budderoo and Barren Grounds have some really nice birds and plants.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Watertank » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 8:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, no I don't have to stay in KV - anything within say 1.5 hours is fine - probably prefer to walk on track given I'm in unfamiliar territory.
WT
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby LachlanB » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 8:55 pm

With that sort of radius, you have heaps of options, both for the camping and walking. You could go as far north as the Royal National Park, out to Wombeyan Caves (if they've reopened the road by the time you get there), Bungonia, Ulladulla or the northern Budawangs/Ettrema.
Any suggestions about what you'd like to see?
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 9:57 am

There are a number of walks nearby, on tracks, but not in the valley. These include Carrington Falls (Budderoo NP), Warris Chair/Missingham Lookout (Budderoo NP), Minnamurra Falls (Budderoo NP), Fitzroy Falls (Rim Tracks) (Morton NP), Belmore Falls (Morton NP), Drawing Room Rocks (Barren Grounds NR).

Other parks in the general area include Macquarie Pass NP, Nattai NP, the Illawarra Escarpment, Jervis Bay NP/Booderee NP, Bungonia NP/SCA.
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jackhinde » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 9:33 pm

When you get to Kangaroo Valley you can pick up a cheap little bushwalking guide to the area that NPWS publishes. It covers all the commonly used tracks with decent descriptions and maps.
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Watertank » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions - I am looking forward to getting my boots on and exploring the area.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT