Safe Spring near Brooklyn Dam

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Safe Spring near Brooklyn Dam

Postby jackattack » Sun 22 Nov, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi

I am planning if weather permits to do a small overnight hike from Cowan Station to Brooklyn as part of my THE Great North Walk in short sections project. I noticed in my research on this forum that there is mention of a safe spring near
Brooklyn Dam. Thread in question: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14419

Could somebody confirm this and pin point location not using the short cut directions in the thread(pm is fine) I will be using the Jeruslaem Bay Track notes from wild walks and not the short cut.
http://downloads.wildwalks.com/Jerusale ... 20Brooklyn)%20(nsw-krgcnp-ctbs).pdf

I will still be treating the water. If I can get out of carrying the 2nd days water Id be grateful. Yes its only a short over nighter but its more about just being out there and seeing some stars.

Jack
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Safe Spring near Brooklyn Dam

Postby robertoman » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 6:50 pm

I wouldn't rely on the spring. It is sporadic, although you could possibly go bush bashing and see if it is still running higher up. As you round near the back of the dam, it crosses over a rock shelf, across the road, into a small pond. I have drunk from it without treatment without problems, but it is hit and miss. There are a few like this running down to the dam. However, the dam will always have water. If you are boiling or treating you will have heaps of water. I have also drunk straight from the dam when running short (I run/ walk up here a lot) and it hasn't killed me (yet).
robertoman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby jackattack » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 3:49 pm

Thankyou very much for the response, Robertoman. I am waiting for a day off and watching the weather before I head out...
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby roopass » Tue 29 Dec, 2015 3:46 pm

jackattack wrote:Thankyou very much for the response, Robertoman. I am waiting for a day off and watching the weather before I head out...

If u haven't done walk yet Jack, I csn second that, sometimes dry, other times full, a scout leader showed me the spring, safe to drink.
roopass
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jackattack » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 7:22 pm

Have not done yet, decided to wait till Santa delivered my PLB. PLB received and will do walk when school holidays are over and its not hot. Thank you for the response.
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jackattack » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 1:59 pm

I did the Cowan to Brooklyn via Jerusalem bay Section of The Great North Walk on Wed 10th of Feburaray as a day work and took plenty of water with me so I did not need to refill at the dam or the small creeks leading into it. I did lunch just off the track, btw the small campsite and the big campsite on a rock beside a small creek/spring which crossed the track and the water looked clear though would still treat.
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT