Kosciuszko

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kosciuszko

Postby davecambo » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 4:51 pm

Hey guys, I want to do Kosciusko peak, never done it before.

I would like to do the harder trail because I've been told the other ones are not really a challenge. I have this link - http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-an ... nsend.html

Can anyone tell me please the cost of leaving a car at the start overnight and if there is anything to watch out for. I will be doing it with a friend and staying in a goretex bivy bag, -5 sleeping bag, and a hootchie over the top - not sleeping with the friend, hiking with the friend ha ha.

Is it realistic to do it overnight. I just hiked 45km in 10 hours (six foot track) my fitness and hiking experience is high.

Cheers in advance
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Kosciusko

Postby walkon » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 5:43 pm

Yeah it's a good overnight walk. You can't camp in the lake catchments and exposure when on top is something to be aware of.
You never know you might get lucky :)

Oh yeah the cost of parking the car is like $20-30 a night from memory
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby davecambo » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 5:58 pm

cheers mate. any idea how long from when you leave the car to when you reach the first camp site? I like the idea of this route as you get up in the morning and head to the summit and all the people on the easy route haven't arrived yet. no fighting for a photo im told.

dave.
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kjbeath » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 6:29 pm

Pay attention to the weather forecast, as the main range intensifies the weather so it is not a good place to be when a front comes through. Otherwise it is a great place to take in a sunset.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 6:46 pm

davecambo wrote:cheers mate. any idea how long from when you leave the car to when you reach the first camp site? I like the idea of this route as you get up in the morning and head to the summit and all the people on the easy route haven't arrived yet. no fighting for a photo im told.

dave.

You should make Townsend by early afternoon. Nice bivy spot up high, weather permitting.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 6:51 pm

Not sure about the hike but as for car parking costs if it is the same as the rest of KNP it is $17 per vehicle per 24 hour period from time of purchase which can be bought on the way in or if the pay station is closed they will just leave you a bill for that amount on your windscreen which you can pay on the way out or by post when you get home.Checkout the website.http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/Kosciuszko-National-Park
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davecambo » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 7:26 pm

thanks everyone. ill pack warm gear in case of bad weather. my gear is good to go, ill make sure I don't get caught out.
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Tue 24 Nov, 2015 7:46 pm

Don't camp in the catchments of the alpine lakes. They are quite fragile environments and the urine/poo/food scraps/detergents we leave behind change the ecosystem there.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 10:24 am

I did a trip report of a December 3 day / 2 night circuit which is almost the same as the one you link to.
The difference is that my start/finish was the top of the Thredbo chairlift, but it will give an idea of where I camped [far side of Little Twynam - and along Abbott Range Ridge towards Alice Rawson] and the area.
Having recently looked across to the area from Bogong - there will probably be less remnant snow this year.
http://new.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8494&p=112225&hilit=kosci#p112225
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby north-north-west » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 10:24 am

[pedant] You left out the z. It's Kosciuszko.[/pedant]

There are signs up there warning you which specific areas are off-limits for camping. Please heed them. This area is under enough visitor stress already.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Re: Kosciuszko

Postby Solohike74 » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 11:59 am

If the weathers dodgy and you have only a Bivy, divert to Seamans Hut. I would say a real tent should be taken if dodgy weather is expected.
Solohike74
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA; Friends of: Bogong, The Prom, Cobberas, Baw Baw
Region: Australia

Postby Krudler » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 9:21 pm

I completed the link you posted recently. Left car at Charlotte pass around 09:30 and was back at the car just before midday the next day including going to the top of Townsend and Kosciuszko. Paid for two days to cover (as stated $17 per day).
Krudler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 3:13 am

north-north-west wrote:[pedant] You left out the z. It's Kosciuszko.[/pedant]

There are signs up there warning you which specific areas are off-limits for camping. Please heed them. This area is under enough visitor stress already.

Pedants of the world unite! My maps are so old there is no "z". Agree about the camping. I do wish it was easier to get a map that shows the proscribed camping areas. More or less, any glacial lake catchment is proscribed.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby davecambo » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 7:08 am

Do I need chains at this time to get to Charlotte? I do have a 4wd but would rather drive the new ss

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 8:11 am

davecambo wrote:Do I need chains at this time to get to Charlotte? I do have a 4wd but would rather drive the new ss

Chains are mandatory in winter. The road to CP is suitable for 2WD vehicles. The summit road may be closed lower down in winter, closer to the resort. At the CP altitude you can get sub-zero temperatures at any time of the year - like yesterday, snowing - and there should be anti-freeze in the engine.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby davecambo » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 7:09 am

The car has coolant in it. If I am doing thr two days hike am I parking at Charlotte's pass or somewhere else? Can anyone give me a specific start point please to leave the car?

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Krudler » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 8:35 am

Park at Charlotte pass.

https://goo.gl/maps/yTmWWBPnzD62 if you go to satellite view you can see where the cars are parked on the straight section. Where the road turns from dark to light (for the loop) pretty much indicates the area where you can't park/or its only 20 min parking. Basically dark = can park, light = can't.

When I got there luckily there was a spot one car back otherwise would have had to park a fair way back. Also on the northern side there was a spot but the shoulder was quite raised in parts so didn't go there for fear of scraping/getting stuck.
Krudler
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby eggs » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 10:42 am

It is December - I wouldn't be too worried about leaving the car at Charlottes.
However, if it really worries you - park it at Thredbo and follow a circuit using the chairlift there as the start / finish point.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby davecambo » Sun 06 Dec, 2015 6:00 pm

Thankyou all for the tips, it was great. my only complaint for the entire walk would be there should be a "turn right here for Mt Townsend" as the right turn is non existent and the trail not able to be seen for about 25 meters.

we camped at the summit of Townsend which I felt was the most scenic of the two peaks, but Kosciuszko was magical also. We even had two wild horses near us for some of the journey. 3 snakes, unsure which type but they were all small.

Great hike! thanks again.
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 7:44 am

davecambo wrote:3 snakes, unsure which type but they were all small.

Most likely white-lipped whips. They're quite common in the alpine areas.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to New South Wales & ACT