Weekenders

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Weekenders

Postby davecambo » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 7:13 pm

hey guys,

ive searched the internet, and also this forum for a list of hiking must do's for NSW/ACT that can be done in a weekend but can only find generic lists and im unsure just how good they are.

im after a list of hikes like the six foot track, that have a range of difficult sections, that can be done in a weekend, or overnight.

For example, the internet keeps suggesting Kosciuszko as one of the top 5, however as it may be nice, I know its not going to be too challenging.

any suggestions?
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: weekeners

Postby DaveNoble » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 10:30 pm

I don't know if the internet is big enough t contain such a list for NSW. Basically, you should just choose an area - e.g. the Blue Mts or the Budawangs and then do a few walks, and if you like that area - then spend the rest of your life exploring it.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Weekenders

Postby davecambo » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 11:11 am

Yep I get you. Just wanted a list I could tick off of places to do.
Thanks mate

Sent from my SM-N9007 using Tapatalk
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby clarence » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 1:31 pm

I would suggest buying a guide book or two for your preferred area.

These will usually list the "standard" good walks, and a few less traveled ones.

Where are you located? What is your level of experience? What sort of terrain do you prefer?

Bushwalks in the Sydney Region Vol 1 and 2 are a good start. Also try some of these.

http://bushwalkingnsw.com/book_list.php

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby davecambo » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks mate, I'm in goulburn nsw. Experience high, military experience, strong navigation experience, high fitness. Just did six foot track in 10 hours straight (45km).
Interested in a challenge.

davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby johnw » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:12 pm

davecambo wrote:Thanks mate, I'm in goulburn nsw. Experience high, military experience, strong navigation experience, high fitness. Just did six foot track in 10 hours straight (45km).
Interested in a challenge.

SFT in 10 hours is a great effort wihout actually running it; I dawdled and camped for 2 nights. +1 for Bushwalks in the Sydney Region Vol 1 and 2 - you can get the ebook versions from the Shop link on this site. If you want something local to Goulburn think about the Bungonia/Shoalhaven Gorge area. Those hills are steep. Only done day trips there myself but easy enough to plan overnighters etc camping along the river, and it has some challenging terrain. Searching this site you should find a few trip reports that would help.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 4:22 am

Other areas to look at that are within striking distance of Goulburn:
- Kanangra - there are quite a few Kanangra walks listed in Bushwalks in the Sydney Region Vol 1 and 2. Thera are also some on my Bushwalking NSW website (see sig for link)
- Morton NP (Budawangs) - try and track down a copy of Bushwalking in the Budawangs (Ron Doughton). It's probably out of print, but I imagine you could find it second hand. Plenty of challenging trips. Again, there are a few on my website
- Shoalhaven as John W says
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby clarence » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 9:39 am

If you are in the Goulburn area, the Shoalhaven, Ettrema, Budawangs, Nattai and southern Blue Mt area have some great walks- just on average not as well tracked as the central Blue Mountains or coastal parks like Royal or Kuringgai.

I would get Ron Doughton's book and the Bushwalks in the Sydney Region as I said before.

Once you get familiar with the terrain in some of these areas the scope for off track walking is huge, esp if you are fit, strong, experienced etc.

I'll pull out my books and make a list of overnighters in that area.

A great intro walk to the Shoalhaven (it requires 16km car shuttle or run back to the car at the end tho) is down Long Point to McCallums selection, along the Shoalhaven (at least 2x water crossings) then out via Badgerys Spur. It can be done as a day walk, but well worth making an overnight stop in the gorge to camp. Always the option of doing a side trip up Tryers Creek (for example) if you want to see a bit more. There are good tracks in and out of the gorge with a combination of rock hopping, foot pads and beach walking along the river.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby davecambo » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 6:11 pm

thanks so much guys for the replies. they sound great.

bit of a story to the 10 hour 6 foot track thing - I used to hike that track many times with my dad, who passed away a few years ago. its always been pretty special to me since then. out of the blue a mate asked if I was busy one weekend and without even thinking about it I said no so lets do an overnighter again. I then realised it was the anniversary of my dads passing. we packed for an overnighter as usual, but when we arrived I said you know Ive always wanted to give it a crack in a day. hes the kind of mate who does anything, so he said lets just give it a crack and worst case camp when we cant go any further. we made it to the end in 10 hours. it was pretty tough but a good experience given the timing.
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT