Looking for a good place to camp + fish

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Looking for a good place to camp + fish

Postby shurik » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 10:46 am

Hi all, a few of us go camping all the time and often try fishing, but haven't found any decent spots yet. If someone can recommend a place where we can camp (bush camping is preferred, but generally we are not picky) and has good fishing — would be great! Only some of us have a 4WD, so preferably a place where your average car can get to. No amenities required. Fresh or salt water fishing, don't mind either. Preferably up to 3-4 hours from Sydney.

Last year we went to Kangaroo valley. Great spot, right next to the river, horrible fishing (maybe we just got unlucky that day).

Thank you1
shurik
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Looking for a good place to camp + fish

Postby Jax » Sat 16 Jan, 2016 8:06 am

Hiya, the only place I know that you could fish near Sydney in the bush is the Cox's river on the Six Foot Track.

It is accessible by car with no 4x4 and also you can walk down there (as it is on a popular hiking trail that is well marked).

When I did this walk we saw people fly fishing we stopped to talk to them and they told us that they had walked down from Explorers Tree and set up camp here at the Cox's for 2 nights. They also told us that they had caught a couple of rainbow trout.

I think fishing anywhere on the Cox's would be successful as it always has water flowing through it and fish a thriving there.
Jax
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Looking for a good place to camp + fish

Postby shurik » Mon 23 Jan, 2017 1:23 pm

Thanks mate, haven't been that way yet but will def give it a go. We ended up going to Bummaroo Ford Camping on the Abercrombie River which was totally dry :-/
shurik
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New South Wales & ACT