can you camp at the top of the castle

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

can you camp at the top of the castle

Postby davecambo » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi,

Ive done pigeon house mountain, that as great. Now I want to do the castle. can anyone tell me if I can camp at the top?

cheers.
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: can you camp at the top of the castle

Postby clarence » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:46 pm

You could probably find somewhere up there. Most of the clear spots are probably rocky. Carrying a pack with overnight gear up there is maybe not a great idea.

It is a far more challenging climb than Pigeon House.

South part of Mt Cole is probably a slightly better option, and is also outside the "no camping" zone from memory.

Worth a try though.

Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 4:52 am

clarence wrote:You could probably find somewhere up there. Most of the clear spots are probably rocky. Carrying a pack with overnight gear up there is maybe not a great idea.

It is a far more challenging climb than Pigeon House.

South part of Mt Cole is probably a slightly better option, and is also outside the "no camping" zone from memory.

Worth a try though.

Agree. The ascent and descent will be quite hairy with an overnight pack. Take a 20 metre rope, maybe a sling or two, and some krabs. There are other places where you an get good sunset and sunrise pictures without scrambling; we were next to the tents close to The Castle.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Xplora » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 6:21 am

Agree as well. It would not be impossible but you could haul your pack up with a rope or sling. Water on top is available in the rocky holes after rain. Mostly people camp at Kooyoyo creek which has stunning views of Pigeon House and it is not far from the Castle. Also a small creek which runs most of the time. While in the area it is worth a walk through the Monolith Valley. There are some camping caves on the western side. They are more like overhangs and are a bit exposed to the westerly. There is a guide book available on walks in the Budawangs which would be helpful.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby ribuck » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 7:49 am

It would be possible to camp on top of the castle, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's rocky and extremely windswept. Camping there has nothing to recommend it, apart from the stunning views of course (but the Budawangs has loads of camping spots with stunning views).

You could climb the castle as a side trip (without your overnight pack) on the way to camping at Kooyoyo Creek.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby tom_brennan » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 11:27 am

Also, very little soil, so if you do camp up there you should take a poo tube, or some other method of carrying out toilet waste
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DaveNoble » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 5:54 pm

I can recall many years ago camping on the Castle plateau. I don't think we bothered putting up tents or flys. It can be a very good place for sunrise (but I don't think we had anything special on our visit).

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davecambo » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 9:19 pm

thanks guys.

can anyone link a link to any of the ones you've recommended as ive never heard of them and would love a harder day trip than pigeon house with good views.

cheers,
Dave
davecambo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ribuck » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 2:48 am

Dave, the Bushwalking NSW site includes a description of the climb up the castle, and also has a photo of the "rocky and scrubby summit plateau" (in case you're still considering camping there):
http://bushwalkingnsw.com/walk.php?nid=807

On the same page there's a link to a sketch map, which shows places like Cooyoyo Creek and Mount Cole.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby WarrenH » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:24 pm

I can recommend two places to camp on the Castle summit.

Just as you're making your way onto the summit, look to you right ... and you'll notice a cave slightly below the edge that follows the shape of the cliff line. I've camped in there a couple of times.

Another place that I've camped, on the summit is, follow the Western rim south for about 70 metres or a tad further then start looking to where you can easily drop down, just a few metres, onto a gently sloping rock face. After you've climbed down just those few metres onto the sloping rock face, the slope cuts back under cliff line. I've also camped there a couple of times too. There is a reasonably flat and sheltered platform under the overhang. This is the better campsite for one. I should mention that I normally walk alone and these two sites were more than adequate space for me.

As, already mentioned, camping up top can be a bit windy. But it's well worth it.

Cheers.

PS, If you've not familiar with being on top of the Castle? ... don't overlook how thin the sandstone skin can be when you're near the cliff edge. It can be well eroded and undercut ... hollow and fragile.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT