Camping around Sydney over New Years

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Camping around Sydney over New Years

Postby ntt » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 9:08 am

I've been talking with my girlfriend about going camping over new years eve, but as we are both quite new to camping we were unsure about what would be a good campsite over new years.

Ideally we could find somewhere which is within a few hours of Sydney, and somewhere which is reasonably accessible (don't mind a short hike). Somewhere which wouldn't be too busy, or at least have some space where we can pitch a tent :)

We were originally considering doing the hike from Bundeena to Otford but I know that the North Era campsite there is booked out.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what may be a good campsite?
ntt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Camping around Sydney over New Years

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 10 Dec, 2015 6:41 pm

When you say "short hike", how long do you mean? 10 mins? A couple of hours?

Also, are you expecting any facilities?

Deep Pass is nice (15 mins walk). Has a pit toilet.

Newnes is also nice. Will be fairly busy but has lots of space. You can car camp (pit toilers).

If you want to get away from the crowds, you can walk down river for a couple of hours and you will have it to yourself. No toilets. Also, Zobels Gully at Newnes has nice camping flats - 10 mins to 1 hour walk depending on where you access it from.

Frying Pan Flat on Breakfast Creek is about 1.5 hours walk.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Camping around Sydney over New Years

Postby ntt » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 2:41 pm

tom_brennan wrote:When you say "short hike", how long do you mean? 10 mins? A couple of hours?

I'd say anything up to 10km as long as the trail is reasonably well marked. Actually It'd be good having a bit of a walk as a training run for longer hikes.

tom_brennan wrote:Also, are you expecting any facilities?

Not too worried about facilities. Hoping my gf agrees with me here :)

tom_brennan wrote:Deep Pass is nice (15 mins walk). Has a pit toilet.

Newnes is also nice. Will be fairly busy but has lots of space. You can car camp (pit toilers).

If you want to get away from the crowds, you can walk down river for a couple of hours and you will have it to yourself. No toilets. Also, Zobels Gully at Newnes has nice camping flats - 10 mins to 1 hour walk depending on where you access it from.

Frying Pan Flat on Breakfast Creek is about 1.5 hours walk.

Thanks for the suggestions! Will check them out.
ntt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT