Guide and what to see recommendation for Budawangs.

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Guide and what to see recommendation for Budawangs.

Postby jackattack » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 7:30 pm

2016 June is my 40th birthday.I want to gift myself a 2-3 day trip to the Budawangs. I have consulted google for information on a commercial guide as I don't drive and have no overnight or climbing experience and want to do The Castle (some advanced scrambling/climbing) Pidgeon House and just experience the place we drove through a lot as a teenager.

I found one lead, does anybody on here know of and would recommend a commercial tour guide for this area? What, apart from The Castle and Pidgeon house is a must do in the Budawangs?

Jack
jackattack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Guide and what to see recommendation for Budawangs.

Postby odnuas » Sat 02 Jan, 2016 7:06 pm

Hey Jack,

Can't really help with the guide question. Given its not the Blue Mountains or Tassie it might be slim pickings. Good luck all the same.

In terms of must sees - definitely the Castle. I would say that equally 'must see' (and also proximate to the Castle) is the Monolith Valley. Really amazing spot. There are heaps of other interesting spots like the Vines or Corang Peak that are great. I would rate the Castle and Monolith Valley as my favourites though. See if you can lay your hands on Ron Doughton's excellent book on the Budawangs which can help you plan. Over three days you could do a fairly luxurious Castle and Monolith walk, starting from Long Gully carpark and using Cooyoyo campsite (great spot with outstanding views and a usually reasonable water source) as your campsite for both nights. Its not easy walking in places so perhaps this schedule would suit a first time visitor? Otherwise there are more ambitious routes you could take (but might need four days). For example there is a great out and back walk you can do which could be sequenced as follows:
Day1 -starting at Wog Wog carpark, walk to Bureembeet Brook and the camping caves there. Check out Corang Arch and Corang peak on the way.
Day 2 - Walk to Mt Owen camping caves (or alternatively camp at the clearing near Bibbenluke Mountain). Check out the Monolith Valley (or do it the next morning)
Day 3 - Back to Burrembeet campsite
Day 4 - Walk out to Wog Wog

Unfortunately, would be tough to fit the Castle into this schedule without compressing some of the walking sections into a shorter time.

David
odnuas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sun 03 Jan, 2016 5:17 am

How is that walk in from Wog Wog now? Last time I did it we had to fight the bush to get through. Not very enjoyable. Long Gully to the Castle is a good option. I ran into someone guiding a group through but did not get his details. I would not recommend him anyway as he left a person with an eye injury on his own to take the rest of the group through the Monolith Valley. We caught up with him in there and started telling us what to do. These guides usually work on a group fee so to go solo would be expensive. A nice treat though. Perhaps the tourist information centre at Ulladulla could help. June can get cold and wet in that area.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby LachlanB » Sun 03 Jan, 2016 12:35 pm

A lot of the area up around Corang was burnt in 2013, so I'd think there wouldn't be too much of a problem up there with the scrub?
If you just wanted to go in and out overnight, Corang Lagoon or the Burrumbeet Camping Caves would both be pretty good options, although I suppose Corang Lagoon wouldn't live up to it's real potential in winter.
+ 1 for Ron Doughton's book on the Budawangs, it's got a lot of really good suggestions for walks in it

If you could manage a car shuffle with someone, going from Long Gully to Cooyoyo Ck on Day 1, then Cooyoyo Ck to Burrumbeet Caves on Day 2, then out to Wog Wog Carpark on Day 3 might be a good walk, although if you haven't done any overnight walking, it might be a bit much?

Maybe you could camp at Yadboro Flat or somewhere like that and do a few daywalks? Perhaps Mt Bushwalker (if it's open) or one of the heads of Little Forest Plateau on the first day (if you're coming from the north), up to the Castle on the second day, and Pidgeon House on the third day as you leave? The Castle is doable as a daywalk, but it's a looong day! But not having a car would make this a bit difficult...
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby WarrenH » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 7:57 am

There are Bora Grounds on Quilty's Mountain, Mout Sturgiss and Shrouded Gods Mountain, ... if you like exploring and doing a bit of research.

There is also good swimming to be had on both the Endrick and Corang Rivers.

If there has been good rain if visiting the Northern Budawangs, the Redgrounds Track is excellent with the rock slabs and pools and Quilty's Clearing is grasstree heaven. Also if the rain has been good, Mount Sassafras is a hoot for shedding water. Mount Sassafras looks cool after rain. The Budawangs are also called the Floodawangs.

If you do visit the Bora Ground on Quilty's Mountain and ascend by the usual route, you will see on the maps one way of descending Quilty's is by Binari Pass. It is far easier coming down Binari Pass, if you consider that route, for throwing packs to your companions ... from stack to stack.

Warren.
WarrenH
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ribuck » Tue 12 Jan, 2016 5:00 am

I second the suggestion by others to visit Monolith Valley. There's nothing like it elsewhere!

It can be very cold and windy in June, with short days. Can't you give yourself an early birthday present and go in March or April instead?
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to New South Wales & ACT