Geehi River at Valentines

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Geehi River at Valentines

Postby Chris-Toms Outdoors » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 7:39 am

Hi,
Has anyone crossed the Geehi at Valentines recently? Water was the river level like? I'm planning a mountain bike ride from Selwyn to Munyang over the weekend. There is a possibility of a bit of rain/possible thunderstorm floating around, I'm interested in what the level of the Geehi is currently incase we get heavy rain during saturday.
Cheers
Chris
http://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au Family owned outdoors store selling quality clothing and equipment. Located in Tumut NSW.
Chris-Toms Outdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.tomsoutdoors.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Re: Geehi River at Valentines

Postby Mark F » Thu 31 Dec, 2015 8:47 am

The Geehi rises and falls pretty quickly but when up is quite fast and could be a nasty crossing. If you mean Valentines Creek next to Valentines Hut then it tends to spread out rather than rise and is not nearly the problem that the Geehi will be under the same rainfall pattern. I have crossed them both after a day of solid rain and snow at which time they were at the edge of safety, a bit of rain or a thunder storm shouldn't cause you any problems.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Chris-Toms Outdoors » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks Mark, Yeah I meant both rivers. It's been pretty dry lately and planing to cross on saturday before we get too much rain from the approaching upper level trough. Thanks.
http://www.tomsoutdoors.com.au Family owned outdoors store selling quality clothing and equipment. Located in Tumut NSW.
Chris-Toms Outdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby warnesy » Fri 01 Jan, 2016 7:32 pm

If you mean the valentines trail crossing on the way to grey mare, the Geehi is pretty low and easily crossable (as a Wednesday).
warnesy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Chris-Toms Outdoors » Tue 05 Jan, 2016 7:50 am

I crossed both on Saturday and the flow's were both low and easily crossed. I hope anyone else hiking around the area also had a great weekend.
Chris-Toms Outdoors
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT