Govetts Leap Lookout to Victoria Falls Lookout

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Govetts Leap Lookout to Victoria Falls Lookout

Postby Jax » Fri 08 Jan, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi all, as you can probably tell I'm new to this site so it might not be in the right forum, anyway..... This month (January) I am planning on doing a new 3 day walk, it is a short hike because I am taking some friends who have never done a hike before so it is not to hard for them.
Day 1 We will start at Govetts Leap Lookout and walk along the Cliff Top Track to Evans Lookout, then we will go to Beauchamp Falls and follow Rodriguez Pass Walking Track to Junction Rock. We will then head towards Blue Gum Forest and camp at Acacia Flat.
Day 2 we will follow Govetts Creek and Grose River all the way through Blue Gum Forest to Burra Korain Flat camping ground and stay there the night.
Day 3 head up to Victoria Falls Lookout and finish there.
The reason for posting this is to ask if anyone has walked along any of these areas I've mentioned to please post any track notes, I know there was a landslide just before Beauchamp Falls a couple of years ago what is the walking track there like is it easily noticeable? Also in Blue Gum Forest what is the track like there? Also if anyone has any other experience on this track what is it like coming up to Victoria Falls Lookout?
Thanks in advance
All comments will be greatly appreciated :D
Jax
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Govetts Leap Lookout to Victoria Falls Lookout

Postby ribuck » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 4:04 am

It's a very scenic walk. If your friends have not carried a three-day pack before, they may find the first day to be hard and long. If you want to make it a bit shorter, you could go straight down from Govetts Leap Lookout.

In contrast, your day 2 is a relatively short day. Day 3 is also short, but of course has the climb.

The landslide just before Beauchamp Falls has been bypassed by a route marked with the occasional tape. If you are paying attention, you should find it easily enough. The track up to Victoria Falls lookout is poorly maintained in a couple of places. You may need to step across fallen logs and the occasional eroded gap, but no big deal. If the track seems to disappear, backtrack and cross to the other side.

Burra Korain Flat is no longer a nice grassy flat like it used to be before the ban on campfires there. No problem camping there though.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby davidf » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 3:30 pm

my 2cents.

check what people are carrying. get them to dump double ups. give them a this is walking not glamping spiel. I have had friends who should know better not and show up with so much crap.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 12:00 pm

Did this route in reverse a couple of months ago and it was fine. Tracks are well marked and easy to follow, including around the rock slide at Rodriquez and through Blue Gum Forest. Acacia to Burra Korain is a pretty short day and you could easily just roll the third day into the second. I did that the other way round, and while it would take longer going uphill, I had plenty of time left in the day (lazy afternoon swimming in Govetts Ck :) ). A few snakes along the river banks.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 12:28 pm

Yes - a very enjoyable walk. If the weather is hot - then there are plenty of pools to cool off in - all along the way. Also plenty of campsites along the Grose River as well as the standard ones - e.g. Little Blue Gum and other sites between Crayfish Creek and Hat Hill Creek. Water for drinking - probably better and safer to get water from the small side creeks that have unpolluted catchments. Eg the small creek about 5 minutes upstream of Acacia Flat, Crayfish Creek etc. Otherwise you may want to treat or filter your water from the river.

To get back from the Victoria Falls lookout - you can arrange a car shuffle, or walk to Mt Victoria Station ( 5km to the highway, then another 1 km - about 90 - 120 minutes ?) - not a good walk in hot sunny weather as not too much shade on the road.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Briar » Mon 11 Jan, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks for the useful and helpful comments. Jax is my grandson and I'm actually quite proud that he has the confidence and ability to not only do this walk but to take others with him. Jax is still only 16 so I'm a little anxious but have every confidence that they'll be fine. This is why he has chosen this as his first independent walk. I took Jax for an overnighter at Acacia Flats and Bluegum when he was 13. At 14 he did the 6 foot track with his dad. At 15 he did K2K with me and last year I took him on the Solitary Traverse.

I'm glad he's gaining skills and confidence and look forward to great things in the future.

Thanks for the thoughts David about the car shuttle. That's my job. I've been relegated from walking with my grandson to being the transport. Such is life.
Briar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT