Challenging 2 day trips around Sydney

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Challenging 2 day trips around Sydney

Postby strifetime » Tue 19 Jan, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi all,

A friend and I are looking to do a two day trip in the next fortnight. We're both physically fit, in our 20s and enjoy a physical challenge, but we have limited navigation experience (she has a lot of camping experience). We're hoping to find a walk that's physically challenging, but with a trail that's easy to follow so we can work on our map-and-compass skills and work up to harder walks. I picked up a copy of Bushwalks in the Sydney Region vol. 1 with the intention of going to Kanangra-Boyd, because my father took me on 2- or 3-day trips there a lot as a youngster. But after considering the weather and my limited experience with navigation I decided for something slightly easier (KB can wait until later in the year).

We'd love recommendations for walks that fit the description given above within a 2 or 3 hour radius of Sydney.

Thanks,

Charlie
strifetime
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Challenging 2 day trips around Sydney

Postby johnw » Tue 19 Jan, 2016 7:28 pm

Wild Dog Mountains comes to mind as long as it's not too hot/dry. One option is Carlons Farm/Dunphy camp site then down Carlon Creek, along Breakfast Creek to Coxs River. Possible camping there and return via Ironmonger Spur. Nominally on tracks but you sometimes need to be observant (could also try some navigation practise as there are other tracks around and one or two trackless spurs that couid be attempted if sufficiently skilled). Same area you could ignore Breakfast Creek, cross it and go up Blackhorse Ridge then on to Mobbs Swamp and/or Splendour Rock. Not sure I'd want to do any of these walks in really hot weather though.

Less challenging but for simplicity there's always the Coast Track in Royal NP. Better in the heat IMHO and with swimming options, but it can get busy.

Otherwise for easy navigation some mostly firetrail walks might suit but are sometimes less interesting visually. Faulconbridge Point and then down to the Grose River might appeal.

I've owned Bushwalks in the Sydney Region vol. 1 and 2 for many years and found them a great resource for planning. I often scan and print just the notes and sketch maps to take along rather than carry the weight of the books.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tom_brennan » Wed 20 Jan, 2016 9:23 am

There are a few walks that would meet your criteria, but summer is often not a great time for walking since it can be hot work going up big hills.
Mt Solitary Traverse
Wild Dogs walks (as John mentioned above) -
Blackheath to Mt Victoria (or reverse)

The last one might be best as for the most part you are down in the valley and not far from the river. Otherwise you might want to consider doing some shorter walking to camp sites where you can swim - Bob Turners Track, Erskine Creek

Notes for most of these can be found on my web site
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby strifetime » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 9:30 am

Thanks John and Tom. I'll look into those walks.
strifetime
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to New South Wales & ACT