KNP weather forecasts on radio

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

KNP weather forecasts on radio

Postby peregrinator » Fri 05 Feb, 2016 10:02 pm

I'm planning a trip to the Jagungal wilderness area in a week or so. I've not walked anywhere in the KNP before. Have done quite a lot in Victorian alpine areas though.

When walking in my home state I carry a small radio to get weather forecasts on ABC local radio. I'd like some advice from NSWians (or visitors from other states who have relevant knowledge) about whether any ABC radio stations can be received in this part of KNP.

Examining the ABC's website, I am not expecingt any daytime reception in the Jagungal area, but are there any stations that would normally be heard nocturnally? If so, which? And despite the ABC's signal coverage maps, are there be any stations which might be captured (along with lots of noise, of course) diurnally?

Are there regular times where reports include a forecast from a BoM meteorologist? I know that in Victoria there are regular crosses at approx 12:35, 17:35, 21:55 on weekdays (when sport is not being broadcast). Also, local regional stations have a cross to the bureau at certain times in the breakfast period. How does NSW compare? All this might be useful if there is an unseasonal blizzard or heatwave!
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: KNP weather forecasts on radio

Postby Mark F » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 10:15 am

For radio a list of possible ABC stations can be found at http://www.abc.net.au/reception/freq/Frequency-NSW.pdf. It has a listing for Cooma and Jindabyne. If you have a smart phone you can use the web to read the BOM forecasts on Gungartin and in Schlink Pass, unsure about whether you will get reception from peaks north of the Schlink area.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: KNP weather forecasts on radio

Postby peregrinator » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 11:43 am

Thanks, Mark F, I have used the ABC's information about reception, including the maps showing likely coverage http://reception.abc.net.au/Reception.aspx. No, I don't have a phone to get forecasts but as I was implying, I've nearly always been able to get radio signals throughout Victoria (also Flinders and Vulkathunha in SA). It would be interesting to know whether others on this forum use phones now when they might once have taken a radio.

Thinking further about this, I realise that I've often picked up 702 AM Sydney local radio at night in Vic and SA as it has a strong (though variable) signal, especially when compared to the local FM transmitters. So that might turn out to be an option in KNP. Anyone know if there is a regular statewide weather report at night on 702 which does not focus solely on Sydney?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to New South Wales & ACT